E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AE don't come on when unlocking

12-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 ///M3

AE don't come on when unlocking

Anyone have their AEs just stop coming on when you unlock the doors? I have 07 e92 335i. They will come on with car running and the light switch in any appropriate position, but just not when unlocking the car. Of note, I just finished installing the Rix vent gauge - anyway I could have accidentally turned this functionality off or screwed something up?
      12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
AlbAtRoS
Gestapo
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

what is AEs? idk u i dont think you broke anything because the system is controlled by a module. if you screw one you will screw many others, is everything else works correctly ?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbAtRoS View Post
what is AEs? idk u i dont think you broke anything because the system is controlled by a module. if you screw one you will screw many others, is everything else works correctly ?
AE = Angel Eyes (little halo looking lights around the headlights)

They come on with the car running and the light switch in any appropriate position, but don't come on when unlocking. Also, the parking lights only flash once and don't stay on. Only started happening this morning - post boost gauge install, but don't know if that actually has anything to do with it
      12-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

You have to have your light switch set to automatic in order for the Angel Eyes to come on when you unlock the car. If it is set to "O" or anywhere else, they will not come on when you unlock the car
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
You have to have your light switch set to automatic in order for the Angel Eyes to come on when you unlock the car. If it is set to "O" or anywhere else, they will not come on when you unlock the car
Yep - that is where my switch always is. Digging back into the light switch housing to see if I disconnected something now. Already tried resetting the light settings with the switch on the turn signal stalk with no luck.
      12-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

According to a reliable source the car will shut down lights/systems as the battery gets lower to conserver power for starting. My car has been sitting in the garage for over a week and hasn't been driven due to the terrible winter conditions outside. Makes sense. Hopefully after the plow comes by - if the city can get their program figured out - I'll be able to drive it and get a full charge on the battery and see how they work after that. Will post after she gets out of the garage.
      12-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Still no plow - boo
      12-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
AlbAtRoS
Gestapo
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

did you get power from some where for the boost gadge if yes, where? b/c the system works after when u lock the car the system checks for shorts and cuts off the power however the 335s have a body module problems. check on the console (lights) and you can fix them how long and when u want, do u have i drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Hey, is it possible for you all to upload a video of when you're unlocking your car and show that the interior lights, door handles and AEs come on. My E90 335 w/ premium doesn't do it. I need some sort of justification to present to the SA @ BMW to remedy this issue. Otherwise, they give me the usual 'normal behavior' response ...that is, only the interior lights and door handles light up..'.... please assist

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
According to a reliable source the car will shut down lights/systems as the battery gets lower to conserver power for starting. My car has been sitting in the garage for over a week and hasn't been driven due to the terrible winter conditions outside. Makes sense. Hopefully after the plow comes by - if the city can get their program figured out - I'll be able to drive it and get a full charge on the battery and see how they work after that. Will post after she gets out of the garage.
Yes, that is accurate.

I had the same thing happen to me right after I installed my LUX H8s. Kept locking/unlocking and after a while they stopped coming on. Went for a long drive one day and now they come on when I unlock.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
E90Eric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
Hey, is it possible for you all to upload a video of when you're unlocking your car and show that the interior lights, door handles and AEs come on. My E90 335 w/ premium doesn't do it. I need some sort of justification to present to the SA @ BMW to remedy this issue. Otherwise, they give me the usual 'normal behavior' response ...that is, only the interior lights and door handles light up..'.... please assist
The 07 E90s would not illuminate their angel eyes upon startup this was added to the Coupes first and much later to the sedans.