E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > brake pads with low brake dust

08-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #23
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Dust is a good thing. Dustless pads usually don't stop the car as well and overheat easily. Too bad, you can't have the best of both worlds!
Sorry to bump an old thread but if you really think about it in this day and age that is just pathetic.

There should definitely be the best of both worlds...the technology is certainly there. I for one am sick and tired of cleaning my wheels. It boggles my mind why BMW thought it was a good idea to put extremely high dusting pads on such an expensive car...it ends up ruining your wheels and your back...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

~ rotex gold - a true 95% reduction in dust... a must imo.

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

I gotta chime in here. Listen very closely to the guys that are telling that the dustless pads will not stop as well. Here's my experience with my E46 and dustless pads:

Hearing people rave endlessly about Axxis Deluxe pads--near, if not better than OEM braking performance, a lot less dust, etc.--I bit the bullet and did a full brake job with Brembo rotors and these Axxis pads. I followed this with a bed-in of the brakes, Zeckhausen-style.

Immediately, I noticed that braking was very shaky compared to OEM. There was no immediate braking available. Then, it was not confidence-inspiring. Honestly, I felt like I was in my old '71 Ford Maverick with drum brakes trying, in vain, to stop when needed. It's that sensation of: I don't think I'm slowing down quickly, I'll apply more pressure to the pedal, no more braking is coming, oh sh** I'm not gonna stop--not a good feeling at all.

Then, not too many miles into it, I began to have vibration in the pedal under braking. After asking around and getting a few opinions, I decided it must be the brakes--ya know, warped rotors. Ordered new OEM rotors and pads. When I took the old Axxis pads off, they were barely worn at all (after about 10K miles) and they were stress-cracked to boot. Very uncool. Off they came and laid on my garage floor ever since.

Once the new OEM rotors and pads were on the car, the vibration vanished completely and the sweet, sweet immediate, smooth, and solid braking returned. I'll will never again stray from OEM pads and rotors on the braking front!

YMMV, but I doubt it
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
I'm really getting tired of the stock brake pads producing alot of brake dust. Are there any other alternatives that I can use that will produce minimal brake dust? any recommendations?
Akebono. I've had the Euro pads on both of my BMW's. You won't believe the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Dust is a good thing. Dustless pads usually don't stop the car as well and overheat easily. Too bad, you can't have the best of both worlds!
I actually test brakes for a living and this is incorrect. Excessive brake dust is indicative of an aggressive pad which will actually wear out your rotors quickly. Ceramic materials produce very little dust and stop the car quite well. I've pushed them beyond 500 degrees celsius (rotor temp - pads will be hotter) with no fade at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #28
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

most pads create the same amount of dust. it is the color of the dust we worry about. when they are lighter, they dont show up on the wheels as much as more and more layers of dust gets on your wheels. taking them longer to darken.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #29
Anthony@F1 Autohaüs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 330I

LOW DUST PADS! I would go with Hawks Performance Ceramics, Posi-Quiet Ceramics, Axxis Deluxe or Ultimate. And still have Good Performance.

-Anthony@F1 Autohaus
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
I have Axxis Deluxe (http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...roducts_id=112) on the front and Centic Posi Quiet (http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...roducts_id=491) on the rear. It has been one of the best things I have done with the car. For driving on the streets you will not notice a difference in stopping power.

The ones I linked to were for the 335. You can select a different BMW model here: http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Don't forget brake wear sensors (one for front and another for rear).
Appreciate 0