E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Review: Eibach Pro-kit Springs and BMW 'Performance' Dampers

12-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Review: Eibach Pro-kit Springs and BMW 'Performance' Dampers

After lowering my 2007 e90 335i sedan last year With Eibach Pro-kit springs, I loved the look, but not the ride. As those of you who have upgraded to EPK springs or perhaps H&R Sport springs (and retained your stock 'sport' shocks/struts) have found out, the ride over most paved roads was close to stock, but once you find the big dips and poor pavement, the ride degraded quite a bit. I believe this is do the the inability of the stock shocks and struts to control the stiffer springs' rebound. The stock components could control the compression phase just fine, but their relative weakness could NOT control the rebound of the stiffer springs. Those dips in the road used to send me out of my seat!

Well, enter Tischer and the pre-Christmas sale on the old 'performance dampers.' I had wanted to upgrade, and my wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas, so I pulled the trigger an bought them.

Now, the ride has a stock-like quality--firm, not jarring, with well controlled compression AND rebound. No more leaving my seat in the dips and on poor roads. The performance dampers are a great match for the EPK springs.
Their compression and rebound damping is firmer by just enough to control the stiffer spring, so the ride quality is much improved.

If any of you are still on EPK or H&R Sport Springs with stock dampers, and find yourself wanting the stock quality ride/feel back, I would strongly recommend the BMW 'performance' struts/shocks.

Last edited by 335timb; 12-27-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

How about the rear, is there any "bounce" after bumps, like a double bump, or hop?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
merlinfe
My other ride has 18,400 SHP. I.B.N.F.E 8251
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MineralGrauMetallic 328d

Nice short review man, Thanks.

I'm researching springs as we speak. I'm leaning toward Tein S-techs because of the close spring rate to the BMW "Yellow" Performance springs. I know the back is a little stiffer but that should help with the understeer on the E90. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep

Rear end "bounce"

The rear end bounce is still present, but much reduced. The rear end absorbs the bump, then rebounds to its previous position. With the stock sport dampers, it was a movement that drew attention to itself--too much sudden snapping back into position. Now, it does rebound quickly, but the effect is more muted, less obvious. The sudden rebound was never uncomfortable before the new performance dampers, and that has not changed. Now however, it no longer distracts from the enjoyment of the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335timb View Post
The rear end bounce is still present, but much reduced. The rear end absorbs the bump, then rebounds to its previous position. With the stock sport dampers, it was a movement that drew attention to itself--too much sudden snapping back into position. Now, it does rebound quickly, but the effect is more muted, less obvious. The sudden rebound was never uncomfortable before the new performance dampers, and that has not changed. Now however, it no longer distracts from the enjoyment of the ride.
Ive had that problem since I went with performance dampers and performance springs. It was not existent when I had PSS9s. It feels like the there is not enough damping in the rear. Maybe the old kit is not compatible with the yellow perf springs. Maybe EPK is next.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Glad to hear this is working out. I am going with the same setup + M3 front end bits.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335timb View Post
After lowering my 2007 e90 335i sedan last year With Eibach Pro-kit springs, I loved the look, but not the ride. As those of you who have upgraded to EPK springs or perhaps H&R Sport springs (and retained your stock 'sport' shocks/struts) have found out, the ride over most paved roads was close to stock, but once you find the big dips and poor pavement, the ride degraded quite a bit. I believe this is do the the inability of the stock shocks and struts to control the stiffer springs' rebound. The stock components could control the compression phase just fine, but their relative weakness could NOT control the rebound of the stiffer springs. Those dips in the road used to send me out of my seat!

Well, enter Tischer and the pre-Christmas sale on the old 'performance dampers.' I had wanted to upgrade, and my wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas, so I pulled the trigger an bought them.

Now, the ride has a stock-like quality--firm, not jarring, with well controlled compression AND rebound. No more leaving my seat in the dips and on poor roads. The performance dampers are a great match for the EPK springs.
Their compression and rebound damping is firmer by just enough to control the stiffer spring, so the ride quality is much improved.

If any of you are still on EPK or H&R Sport Springs with stock dampers, and find yourself wanting the stock quality ride/feel back, I would strongly recommend the BMW 'performance' struts/shocks.
Hey man can we see some pics of your ride? I got the performance suspension from tischer and I'm thinking about getting those springs. I'd just like to see your car and see how low it is. I'm going to run 19's and don't want to run into any rubbing issues and I DON'T want to do a fender roll. Let's see the pics!
      12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Ive had that problem since I went with performance dampers and performance springs. It was not existent when I had PSS9s. It feels like the there is not enough damping in the rear. Maybe the old kit is not compatible with the yellow perf springs. Maybe EPK is next.
damping in turns or when driving over bumps longitudinally? perhaps the M3 stabilizers contribute to underdamped feel when in turns...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

The thing I always wonder about the progressive spring rate on the Eibach and H&R springs. I always hear the BMW stock suspension "rides on bumpstops" but I'm inclined to believe that's an old wives' tale.

The Eibach/KW coilover kit posted for sale looks like has springs with linear rate though.

The other thing is that these kits all seem to add more rake rather than diminish it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninesixtwo View Post
damping in turns or when driving over bumps longitudinally? perhaps the M3 stabilizers contribute to underdamped feel when in turns...
The worst is over bumps. For example, as I drive the front will dip into the dip, compress and then rebound back into place, quite quickly and nicely. The rear will hit the same dip, compress, rebound, re-compress again (but lesser) and then rebound back into position. Its like a second hop. And I noticed from the first day it was on the car. The PSS9s on before did not do that over the exact same road that I drive on every day.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep

pictures

I'll get some pictures for you, then find the DIY on how to download them here for viewing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

cool thanks....just set up a photobucket account, upload ur pics to photobucket then copy and paste the tags in the message here. It sounds complicated but it's very simple...
      01-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
AlexRo
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 facelift

i have an e90 lci and i want to put eibach pro springs. is it worth? i want to change ongly the springs and to keep the standard bmw suspension (comfort)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRo View Post
i have an e90 lci and i want to put eibach pro springs. is it worth? i want to change ongly the springs and to keep the standard bmw suspension (comfort)
I personally don't think you'll be happy if you keep the standard bmw suspension on there and just change out the springs. Those shocks are not very performance oriented at all and I believe you'll have some issues. The ride may end up being absolutely terrible. Just my two-cents
      01-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

bro, where are those pics!!! I want to see your ride with that drop....
      01-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
bro, where are those pics!!! I want to see your ride with that drop....
Any pics of Eibach will look just like his drop. The Perf Pack will not change the look of the car at all.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep

pics....

I have yet to set up that 'photobucket' account you mentioned. Soon I suppose.... Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yea I know fraggy......Hey 335timb....are you running an aftermarket wheel set-up? If so what size
      02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

This was a good review.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
How about the rear, is there any "bounce" after bumps, like a double bump, or hop?
I have this setup with h&r sport springs and it rides like trash. Tons of bounce and rebound.

Not recommeded from my end on the h&r with BMW performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

useful article
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: SBM E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I have this setup with h&r sport springs and it rides like trash. Tons of bounce and rebound.

Not recommeded from my end on the h&r with BMW performance.
I would agree with you there, although ditching the RFT's helped, but I switched to EPK's myself and the ride is much better now