E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Thinking of purchasing a 335d, upgrading from VW Jetta TDI

04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #111
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBMW View Post
Congrats on your 335d purchase! Getting a 335d with CPO warranty coverage was a good decision IMHO. Drive it and enjoy!
The CPO was the key. There are 2 335D near me that never have been sold. they have been sitting on the dealers lot for over 900 days with about 13k miles on them. The dealer couldn't give me the CPO coverage bec they are still considered new. I would have to buy a extended warranty to get the 100k coverage. Needless to say, they are still sitting there.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #112
GadgetBMW
Torque........I'm Loving it!
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Alpha Pappa View Post
The CPO was the key. There are 2 335D near me that never have been sold. they have been sitting on the dealers lot for over 900 days with about 13k miles on them. The dealer couldn't give me the CPO coverage bec they are still considered new. I would have to buy a extended warranty to get the 100k coverage. Needless to say, they are still sitting there.
I've also been noticing lower mileage 335d cars that have been sitting on dealer lots for a significant amount of time. I'm like you, I'm taking my time with a purchase and eventually I'll most likely be driving a clean 335d. Best of luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #113
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

Quote:
I've also been noticing lower mileage 335d cars that have been sitting on dealer lots for a significant amount of time. I'm like you, I'm taking my time with a purchase and eventually I'll most likely be driving a clean 335d. Best of luck with yours!

Phil
You definitely have "analysis paralysis".
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #114
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
Phil
You definitely have "analysis paralysis".
Ha-Ha! Too funny!

Apparently I'm not alone...... according to 335D Alpha Pappa...... and I quote......

Quote:
Haha!
Yeah, I have been drooling over this for about a year and decided, what the hell, just go for it and worry about the problems later if they pop up.
For potential new owners of a 335d, IMHO the CBU issues and related problems are the thing that gives pause to some purchasers who would otherwise have already pulled the trigger on a 335d. I must admit, the 335d is an amazing drivers car!

I'll get a 335d eventually!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #115
db252
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d x 2

There are definitely some very nice 335d's out there but the window is closing on the 2011 model year lease returns especially if you are wanting some decent factory warranty with maintenance left over so I would suggest not to overly delay much longer. Of course, you can always add an extended warranty and maintenance warranty as long as it's still under its factory warrany (BMWs version).

We were looking pretty hard at the beginning of this year for ours and bought not one, but two of them as my wife loooooves (her) 335d which meant I'd loose my time so two was the answer. As a coindcidence as the OP earlier stated, we to have a 2003 Jetta TDI that we have kept for the dog and about 80% of my work commutes. 700+ miles a tank is hard to let go.

Hers - 2011 335d Sport, Tatanium Silver with black interior, and every option except active cruise control. 22,000 miles and factory warranty expires in October of this year but already extended it to a 7/70,000. Found in Washington.

Mine - 2011 335d M Sport (even harder to find if you are picky), Space Gray with black interior, and every option as well as above including combox as it is a very late build. 36,000 miles and warranty expires in August of 2015. Found in Ohio.

Both were nonsmoker cars that were single owner. Mine came with nice extras like a VAC tuner, BMW carbon fiber rear spoiler, led angel eyes, coding, and some other stuff. I have passed on cars that have baby seat imprints in the rear seats.....nothing really wrong with that but I'm just that picky.

I'm expressing my own happiness, but my point is don't wait too long in finding one that meets your wants/needs. Good luck to those searching and congrats to those that have.

db
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #116
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by db252 View Post
There are definitely some very nice 335d's out there but the window is closing on the 2011 model year lease returns especially if you are wanting some decent factory warranty with maintenance left over so I would suggest not to overly delay much longer.............

I'm expressing my own happiness, but my point is don't wait too long in finding one that meets your wants/needs. Good luck to those searching and congrats to those that have.

db
Thanks db for the good advice, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #117
GadgetBMW
Rep

Well....after about 5 months of searching, pondering, researching, mulling over it, et cetera, I decided to purchase a 335d. I now have a 2011 Black Sapphire Metallic 335d M-sport with saddle brown interior, build date is 7/2011. My car still has the factory warranty and an extended warranty will kick in afterwards. This is truly an amazing car and my Jetta TDI is no comparison to the 335d in terms of performance. I refer to this car as the Monster-Beast! I'm so glad that I patiently waited for an M-sport with the options that I wanted. I love the sport steering wheel and the seats! I also like the aggressive look of the 18" sport wheels. I'm pleasantly surprised that the sport / m-sport suspension and wheels provide for a smooth ride without the harshness that I was anticipating over a non-sport model with the 17" tires/rims. My one minor complaint is the run flat tires, I'm not sure that I like the feel of the run flats. So far, I'm averaging just over 36 mpg and perhaps I could get higher mpg if I can just keep my right foot off of it, which is not easy to do in the 335d!

I want to take the time to sincerely thank everyone on this forum who took the time to respond to my questions and offered good and candid advice concerning a 335d purchase. I'm looking forward to my ownership experience and I feel like I have the necessary knowledge and support that this forum provides.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #118
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Well....after about 5 months of searching, pondering, researching, mulling over it, et cetera, I decided to purchase a 335d. I now have a 2011 Black Sapphire Metallic 335d M-sport with saddle brown interior, build date is 7/2011. My car still has the factory warranty and an extended warranty will kick in afterwards. This is truly an amazing car and my Jetta TDI is no comparison to the 335d in terms of performance. I refer to this car as the Monster-Beast! I'm so glad that I patiently waited for an M-sport with the options that I wanted. I love the sport steering wheel and the seats! I also like the aggressive look of the 18" sport wheels. I'm pleasantly surprised that the sport / m-sport suspension and wheels provide for a smooth ride without the harshness that I was anticipating over a non-sport model with the 17" tires/rims. My one minor complaint is the run flat tires, I'm not sure that I like the feel of the run flats. So far, I'm averaging just over 36 mpg and perhaps I could get higher mpg if I can just keep my right foot off of it, which is not easy to do in the 335d!

I want to take the time to sincerely thank everyone on this forum who took the time to respond to my questions and offered good and candid advice concerning a 335d purchase. I'm looking forward to my ownership experience and I feel like I have the necessary knowledge and support that this forum provides.

Thanks again!
now you need a JBD...
      05-30-2014, 11:22 PM   #119
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
now you need a JBD...
Yes I do but I'm still getting use to the stock 335d performance! The car has insane torque!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:42 AM   #120
BMW1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Yes I do but I'm still getting use to the stock 335d performance! The car has insane torque!
....ain't it sweet!!!....I am really enjoying my ride with the Bilstein/Eibach suspension and Michelin PS AS3 (nonrunflats!) for shoes. Enjoy.
2016 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #121
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
I love my D! Had it for about a month and just love the performance. So glad I got this instead of another oil burner. I'm getting about 37 combined driving. Do about 90% highway driving during my 80 mile commute. Love the torque at the higher speeds.

Waiting for my BT adapter from BMWhat to show up before I start modding anything.

Mods are:
1) get rid of the air box and put in the biggest air filter I can fit in there. Diesels need to breath and that box looks too restrictive.
2) Oil catch can. I can mount it to custom plate where the air box used to be. There will be a little more space for secured mounting.
3) Tunning. Either JBD or ecotune/rennflash.
4) a set of snow tires and rims before winter. Which here in upstate NY is about couple months away.

Oh yeah - get yourself a good radar detector to save yourself from speeding tickets. I'm sure they are more prone to chase a speeding bimmer than a Prius. It's already saved me from a few tickets.
Like I have said before - it's tough to drive this car slow. It fights me when I go slow, it wants to run.

Last edited by 335D Alpha Pappa; 05-31-2014 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #122
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I love my D! Had it for about a month and just love the performance. So glad I got this instead of another oil burner. I'm getting about 37 combined driving. Do about 90% highway driving during my 80 mile commute. Love the torque at the higher speeds.

Waiting for my BT adapter from BMWhat to show up before I start modding anything.

Mods are:
1) get rid of the air box and put in the biggest air filter I can fit in there. Diesels need to breath and that box looks too restrictive.
2) Oil catch can. I can mount it to custom plate where the air box used to be. There will be a little more space for secured mounting.
4) a set of snow tires and rims before winter. Which here in upstate NY is about couple months away.

Oh yeah - get yourself a good radar detector to save yourself from speeding tickets. I'm sure they are more prone to chase a speeding bimmer than a Prius. It's already saved me from a few tickets.
Like I have said before - it's tough to drive this car slow. It fights me when I go slow, it wants to run.
Anything but a stock air box will trick your ecu and f up things, do some research on it...
      05-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #123
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Anything but a stock air box will trick your ecu and f up things, do some research on it...
Actually, I've been running an AEM dryflow for over a year without any issues. Oil analysis results also look good. Was also what I used for the recent 11.8 sec 1/4 mile runs. You do get more turbo sounds without the stock airbox which some people may not like.

Congrats to the new 335d owners!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #124
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Actually, I've been running an AEM dryflow for over a year without any issues. Oil analysis results also look good. Was also what I used for the recent 11.8 sec 1/4 mile runs. You do get more turbo sounds without the stock airbox which some people may not like.

Congrats to the new 335d owners!
I just tried a K and N filter actually my friend did in his D and it threw codes, maybe a cone filter as yours acts different...good to know
      05-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #125
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

I'm not keen on a wet type of filter. The AEM filter I'm using is a "dryflow" type.

Hotrod was able to do a 12.3 sec 1/4 mile with the stock airbox. So the stock box seems to flow plenty good enough for some big power numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #126
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just tried a K and N filter actually my friend did in his D and it threw codes, maybe a cone filter as yours acts different...good to know
Was thinking about this ... did he give the car time to adapt to the new system configuration before driving aggressive? I did measure a difference in the MAF readings when switching from the stock box to the AEM setup. If you don't let the car re-learn it's quite possible it would throw a code because it sensed a large enough variation in behavior from what it expected (the car is smart and "learns" and adapts things to fit the behavior it wants).

From page 88 of the Diesel Tech workbook

Replacing the following components will require a reset (clearance) of this mean volume adaptation characteristic map:
• Hot-film air mass meter • Fuel injector(s)
• Rail pressure sensor
It is possible to reset the characteristic map with the BMW diagnosis system.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #127
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't mind the stock air box, I just don't want to replace filters, and the aem is lifetime use, we did let it learn still was fussy, did the same thing on all the VW's we did also...loos cool your way...
      05-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #128
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post
....ain't it sweet!!!....I am really enjoying my ride with the Bilstein/Eibach suspension and Michelin PS AS3 (nonrunflats!) for shoes. Enjoy.
Thanks! Quick question, with the Michelin PS AS3 non-runflats, what do you do for a spare tire? Do you also have some sort of tire change kit with a jack in the car?
I may give some thought to ditching the run-flats!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #129
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

BMW fix a flat kit in the trunk. Also, AAA/roadside assistance with insurance. If I am close to home, get ride grab winter wheel swap.

- b
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #130
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:

Mods are:

I'm loving the performance too! I plan to stay with the stock air filter for now. I'm considering an oil catch can, water/meth injection, and an AEM piggyback controller. This setup will give me the flexibility that I'm looking for and the ability to control low RPM fueling and ramp it up as RPMs increase. I want to increase the performance and have a reliable drivetrain. Whatever mods I install, I will definitely need to consider how it could potentially affect the warranty.

Just curious, what radar detector do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #131
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
BMW fix a flat kit in the trunk. Also, AAA/roadside assistance with insurance. If I am close to home, get ride grab winter wheel swap.

- b
This is good to know, thanks! I'm not too fond of these run-flats, especially when going over transitions in the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #132
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

Congrats,Phil! It sounds like a nice color/option combo. How many miles?
Appreciate 0