E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Transmission coding

01-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Transmission coding

anyone know anything about transmission coding i needed to code a used transmission into my car, bmw said id have to get a new blank valve body, anyone have any idea if force coding can get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: E61 530XD chipped

Its not about actual codinh but youn need to match vin with rest of the car then update, then recode. My friend done that for my e60 545i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

If that's the case I would let this guy do the coding for you remotely. He seems to be like the only one that I know that's does this type of coding. Sammy get in touch with Cyrano's friend
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If that's the case I would let this guy do the coding for you remotely. He seems to be like the only one that I know that's does this type of coding. Sammy get in touch with Cyrano's friend
Sounds good, I'm talking to a guy right now that PMed me, seems like he knows his stuff! he said its kinda not possible to do it using Dcan cable and said he would ship me his device and remote code it for me he took my vin number to double check he can do it still waiting for a reply but I'm so exited because i found a STEAL on a transmission if this works!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Nice. I am sure you will find Alot of deals from Hurricane Sandy salvaged parts selling for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Is this for a GM or a ZF transmission? If it's a ZF, be warned that they have a revised design for their valve bodies as of last year. There is a problem with leakage past a particular plunger that causes slipped upshifts from 4-5 and/or 5-6.

I recently went 'round and 'round with a local trans shop that rebuilt my transmission (ZF 6HP-19) and they finally had to put in a brand new (2012) ZF valve body and eat the cost.

There are a lot of sub-par rebuilts and just plain junk used ones out there so caveat emptor.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
Is this for a GM or a ZF transmission? If it's a ZF, be warned that they have a revised design for their valve bodies as of last year. There is a problem with leakage past a particular plunger that causes slipped upshifts from 4-5 and/or 5-6.

I recently went 'round and 'round with a local trans shop that rebuilt my transmission (ZF 6HP-19) and they finally had to put in a brand new (2012) ZF valve body and eat the cost.

There are a lot of sub-par rebuilts and just plain junk used ones out there so caveat emptor.

no way in hell would i get a new valve body i would either get a sonnex performed on it or Go manual swap. 3k FML.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
he said its kinda not possible to do it using Dcan cable and said he would ship me his device and remote code it for me

Sorry how much did he charge you for that ?? What do you mean not possible to do it via dcan ?? Thats a bullshit, only other interface that is able to do it is ICOM and thrust me he woldnt send you 4000$worth of interfce....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post

no way in hell would i get a new valve body i would either get a sonnex performed on it or Go manual swap. 3k FML.
The new ZF modules are redesigned with "Sonnax-like" mods already. They've used all the knowledge gained from the field to redesign their latest VBs (at least that's what I heard from ZF). If Sonnax actually rebuilt these things, I'd trust them over a brand new VB, but they only make the kits and tooling and I've seen some pretty crappy rebuilds that claim to have been done with Sonnax parts.

FWIW, my new VB shifts better than I ever remember this thing working since I got it (I got it used with 50K miles on it).

I hadn't even considered a manual swap. In retrospect that would have been the way to go. What does "FML" mean? Is that $3K for the swap? I've got $3.5K in this rebuild.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
The new ZF modules are redesigned with "Sonnax-like" mods already. They've used all the knowledge gained from the field to redesign their latest VBs (at least that's what I heard from ZF). If Sonnax actually rebuilt these things, I'd trust them over a brand new VB, but they only make the kits and tooling and I've seen some pretty crappy rebuilds that claim to have been done with Sonnax parts.

FWIW, my new VB shifts better than I ever remember this thing working since I got it (I got it used with 50K miles on it).

I hadn't even considered a manual swap. In retrospect that would have been the way to go. What does "FML" mean? Is that $3K for the swap? I've got $3.5K in this rebuild.
Fuck my life lol
I'm just a college student, i have don't want to spend that kind of money right now. i might just wait a bit or figure something out but ill be doing all the work myself. but i think the valvebodys are interchangeable between transmissions and i can just get a sonnex rebuild on my current valve body and place it into the used transmission
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
bv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe AT

Quote:

Good to know Sonnax has good rep, I wondered about this. It seems they're slowly offering more parts for the gen2. I've been researching a somewhat cost efficient upgrade for a while now. I still haven't seen any reputable builder that offers upgraded clutch packs though. I know Borg warner makes the oem stuff for ZF but don't believe they make any upgraded components.
      01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Why would you need coding for a used replacement transmission? Were there that many differences from model to model with respect to the transmission if it is a similar year with sport package, paddle shifters etc. I though you may be able to clear adaptations and away you go.. I see having to code a brand new one but thought you would be plug and play with a used one. Anyone know for sure?
      01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep

Gearbox have VIN number in egs module so when you replace transmittion you will have codieren index error and sooner or later gearbox will go into limp mode or whatever its called in english and you will be forced to tow car to dealership or coder
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
just got off the phone with Level 10 and the owner took the Tag number on my tranmssion and on the used transmission i got, ran the numbers and called me back to tell me the vlavebodys are interchangeable for the two transmissions. I was sending it to them anyways. but he told me i can take the valve body in my currently blown transmssion and ship it off to him for the upgrade. then when the time comes just intsall the built valvebody originally from my transmssion and install it in the used transmission. He told me it bolts right on with no issues at all "we do that all the time when they match"
we will see i guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Gearbox have VIN number in egs module so when you replace transmittion you will have codieren index error and sooner or later gearbox will go into limp mode or whatever its called in english and you will be forced to tow car to dealership or coder
Oh, ok that seems like a relatively simple procedure. It was sounding like the entire module needed to be reprogrammed. That didn't make sense to me if the valve body was interchangeable similar model, similar year, etc.it wouldn't need any programming. Sounds like it just needs to be registered kinda sorta.
      01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
cyrano
Banned
Poland
Rep

Well it is quite simple if you know how to change VIN in module plus get proper ZB nr and match daten files, takes aprox 30min
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
A.G BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Hey guys just wondering if you could help
I’ve changed my transmission(ZF 6HP21) over from a donor car with the exact same transmission. The dash shows which gear I select but it doesn’t move.
My understanding is that I need to change the VIN in order for it to work
I’ve bought a K+DCAN from BimmerGeeks and downloaded the E89 SP-Daten v60 along with the BMW Tools (INPA, Tool32, NCS ect.)
What would be the best method to change the VIN ?
I’ve been searching for a step by step guide but can’t seem to find anything that has worked so far
Could you please write up the steps I need to take or point me in the right direction
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G BMW View Post
I’ve changed my transmission(ZF 6HP21) over from a donor car with the exact same transmission. The dash shows which gear I select but it doesn’t move.
I’ve bought a K+DCAN from BimmerGeeks and downloaded the E89 SP-Daten v60 along with the BMW Tools (INPA, Tool32, NCS ect.)
I’ve been searching for a step by step guide but can’t seem to find anything that has worked so far
Could you please write up the steps I need to take or point me in the right direction
Thanks
I did it recently using NCS Expert its pretty simple just find a DIY on Youtube to change vin for modules and select the transmission module. You can then double check through inpa to make sure it reads the correct vin.

03 330XI - FK Coils, AFE Stage 1 CAI, EU2 Tune, Headers, Straight Pipes, Mtech 2 Front w/molded Aqray Lip, Mtech 2 rear, CSL Style Trunk, GTR Style Hood
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #19
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G BMW View Post
Thanks
It is more complicated than that.
I can get it done for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #20
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Bump for trying to get the same thing done. I've swapped the 6HP in my E70, I wrote a company called Autohex but they want $5k for their stuff!!! No F'ING way I'm paying that. Anyone on here able to code remotely and/or have an EXACT link for a YouTube video vs "go search" because this sounds like something anyone could easily screw up watching the wrong video.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Bump for trying to get the same thing done. I've swapped the 6HP in my E70, I wrote a company called Autohex but they want $5k for their stuff!!! No F'ING way I'm paying that. Anyone on here able to code remotely and/or have an EXACT link for a YouTube video vs "go search" because this sounds like something anyone could easily screw up watching the wrong video.
I can help you.
Appreciate 1
m5james429.00
      10-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #22
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
1-Start WinKFP
2-Select F1(Comfort Mode)
3-Select F3(Update ZUSB)
4-Find and select the ECU that you wish to update/update
5-Select F3(enter vin)
6-Type in car Vin
7-Select OK
8-Select F8(Done)
9-Select F3(Prog.ZB-update)
10-Confirm at own risk
Appreciate 5