E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Google tapped to save Obama website

11-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

Here's some interesting food for thought -

Something like 90-95% of healthcare dollars go towards treating 5-10% patients. Healthcare is expensive mostly for those with grave illnesses who require extremely expensive therapies.

Chances are if you're paying into health insurance you will never get out as much as you put in over a lifetime. That's how insurance is supposed to be. The idea is that if you ever find yourself as one of those unlucky 5% your million dollar operations/drugs/etc. will be taken care of even though you didn't pay anywhere near that amount into insurance to begin with.

BMWRules7's metaphor about Jimmy and Suzy is so nonsensical I don't know where to begin. The irony is that he seems like the kind of person who hates it when people receive healthcare without paying into the system to begin with. If that's true, he should like and embrace the penalty aspect of obamacare. If you don't buy into health insurance, you have to pay a fine ($x or y% if your income, whichever is greater).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
+1

The Patriot Act really should have been named "The Repeal of the 4th Amendment".
+1.

Even as a Republican, looking back that bill was a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
240,000 Miles
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

If you don't buy into health insurance, you have to pay a fine ($x or y% if your income, whichever is greater).
Not to worry those same people that don't buy health insurance won't be paying any fines either. But trust me they will demand and they will be given the care just the same
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Not to worry those same people that don't buy health insurance won't be paying any fines either. But trust me they will demand and they will be given the care just the same
It's not perfect but it's certainly an improvement.

Before the fine, you had hordes of homeless and lower middle class people "cheating" the system by failing to pay into health insurance.

Obamacare at least makes it a hell of a lot harder for lower middle class people with W2s to "cheat" the system. Now, they'll have to provide proof of insurance as well or pay the fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
It's not perfect but it's certainly an improvement.

Before the fine, you had hordes of homeless and lower middle class people "cheating" the system by failing to pay into health insurance.

Obamacare at least makes it a hell of a lot harder for lower middle class people with W2s to "cheat" the system. Now, they'll have to provide proof of insurance as well or pay the fine.
Are hospitals now going to turn away someone who requires medical attention?

Are the free clinics in the inner cities going to close or change?

The irony of this "reform" AKA "Affordable Care Act" is that IF they will actually turn people away who require treatment and care; this system designed to bring health care to those who couldn't afford will end up hurting those who can't afford it the most.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Are hospitals now going to turn away someone who requires medical attention?

Are the free clinics in the inner cities going to close or change?

The irony of this "reform" AKA "Affordable Care Act" is that IF they will actually turn people away who require treatment and care; this system designed to bring health care to those who couldn't afford will end up hurting those who can't afford it the most.
Well no of course they won't turn people away, but obamacare simply reduces the proportion of people (however slight) who willfully choose not to buy health insurance (at least in principle).

Although I think it will take time to see if the threat of the fine actually works or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

There are an estimated 20M illegals in the country. They don't have health insurance, and typically use the ER as a clinic, as they can't be turned away. Same with maternity and childbirth services. These individuals do not qualify for Obamacare, and will still consume health services without payment. Of the "47 million uninsured" that we reused as a justification for Obamacare, 20million were illegals.