E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Help me with a Trade-In Value

05-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Help me with a Trade-In Value

Hello, could you give me your opinion on what I should get on tradding in my car for a mostly loaded 135i.

With trading in a car usually if the dealer wants Retail MSRP on their car, then the trade-in should also get Retail. Retail to Retail.
If the dealer discounts their can alot (wholesale) then the trade-in should also get wholesale. Wholesale to Wholesale, which is the lowest trade-in value.

These examples are figured and estimated for Feb 2009, so purchasing a 135i then should be easier to get a discount off MSRP. Even though people are already getting very good discounts.

My car is Edmunds "Consumers Most Wanted" and "Editors Most Wanted" Awards. Anyway here are the numbers, please tell me what a good trade for my car would be, and what YOU think BMW should offer me. Thankyou very much for realistic opinions.

2006 Honda Civic Si in mint condition(excellent) with 17,000 miles.

KBB Trade-in value(Wholesale)

Excellent $16,925
Good $15,975
Fair $14,310

KBB Dealer Retail $21,580
KBB Private Party $19,210

Edmunds True Market Value

Trade-in Value(wholesale) $16,106
Private party $17,479
Dealer Retail(MSRP) $18,562

I figure by Feb 2009 I should be able to get $1,000 off MSRP on the BMW 135i with several options.

What would be a fair offer I should accept for my car at that time using the numbers above. I figure $16,000 trade-in and $1,000 off the BMW 135i MSRP.

Please tell me what you think. Thankyou very much.

1 more thing. I have seen SEVERAL 2006 Civic Si's with 15-25,000 miles going for $18,900 to $20,500 at dealers now.

OOPS, I can't sell myself, I don't have another car for transportation.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

2009 is still far away. Honestly sell the car on your own and bring the buyer to the dealer so you get a tax credit. If the car sells sooner get a shitbox drive it around until youre car gets here.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

what I would do and did was go to carfax get an estimate from them on your civic (usually higher than the dealers offer) then go to the dealer and negotiate for the new car as if you have no trade... Once you have a price on the new car that you like then say you also want to trade in your car and they must match the carmax price and show them the carmax quote....

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
what I would do and did was go to carfax get an estimate from them on your civic (usually higher than the dealers offer) then go to the dealer and negotiate for the new car as if you have no trade... Once you have a price on the new car that you like then say you also want to trade in your car and they must match the carmax price and show them the carmax quote....
Thanks and I agree and have done this. Carmax offered me exactly the same as the dealer, which was LOW. I would like an opinion based on the long explanation above.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
2009 is still far away. Honestly sell the car on your own and bring the buyer to the dealer so you get a tax credit. If the car sells sooner get a shitbox drive it around until youre car gets here.
Thankyou for reading and posting. How do you get a tax credit bring the buyer to the dealer???

I CAN'T sell myself, ordering a 135i takes 6-14 weeks. I have no room for another car, and won't buy a beater to save a couple grand. I would just like a number $$$, opinion from the numbers above what I should accept for my trade. From $14,500-$16,900 on the low trade-in value. YOUR opinion on $$$ they will offer me and what I should accept.

I WILL try to sell my car myself once I get a decent offer from BMW. That way if I can't sell it myself, or the person who wants to buy my car won't wait until the 1 comes in, I will just trade it. BUT I won't take a VERY low trade like $14,000.

Please look above and tell me what to expect. Thankyou, Jeff D.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Thankyou for reading and posting. How do you get a tax credit bring the buyer to the dealer???

I CAN'T sell myself, ordering a 135i takes 6-14 weeks. I have no room for another car, and won't buy a beater to save a couple grand. I would just like a number $$$, opinion from the numbers above what I should accept for my trade. From $14,500-$16,900 on the low trade-in value. YOUR opinion on $$$ they will offer me and what I should accept.

I WILL try to sell my car myself once I get a decent offer from BMW. That way if I can't sell it myself, or the person who wants to buy my car won't wait until the 1 comes in, I will just trade it. BUT I won't take a VERY low trade like $14,000.

Please look above and tell me what to expect. Thankyou, Jeff D.
Well I dont know for you guys but we can do it here in Canada. Per exemple selling the SI to a friend for 18K buy the 135 for 39K. I would only pay the taxes on the difference between 39 and 18 which is 21K(Taxes here are 13% combined). Right there you save money and you got more for the car than the dealer would have given you. What I meant with the beater lets say you get a buyer that really wants it and you cant refuse the offer you sell it order a 135I and you pick it up when youre ready(beater is a temporary car)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Based off what you have listed above and my experience with dealers is take what KBB and Edmunds say and knock off a $1000-$1500... So your car would be worth aprox. $15000 or a little more... I think you should be able to negotiate between $1000-$1500 off MSRP on a new car, my car that is on order has a discount in the range.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Based off what you have listed above and my experience with dealers is take what KBB and Edmunds say and knock off a $1000-$1500... So your car would be worth aprox. $15000 or a little more... I think you should be able to negotiate between $1000-$1500 off MSRP on a new car, my car that is on order has a discount in the range.
This is exactly what I was asking thankyou.:thumbup:

I am optioned now at $40,400 on the 135i.
This is the lowest I will take.

$1,000 off MSRP so the 135i will be $39,400, and $15,500 for my car. That way I am saving about $1,000 in taxes trading in my car. I just won't accept anything under $15k. They will just turn around and sell the car to a Honda dealer and loose nothing. And with $1,000 off MSRP on the 135i they will still make $2,500 and get the 3-4% dealer kickback from BMW.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Well I dont know for you guys but we can do it here in Canada. Per exemple selling the SI to a friend for 18K buy the 135 for 39K. I would only pay the taxes on the difference between 39 and 18 which is 21K(Taxes here are 13% combined). Right there you save money and you got more for the car than the dealer would have given you. What I meant with the beater lets say you get a buyer that really wants it and you cant refuse the offer you sell it order a 135I and you pick it up when youre ready(beater is a temporary car)
I WILL NOT buy another car, no room, and I am not going to try to sell 2 cars. Years ago I tried this and then had problems with the beater. I ended up spending more on the beater then the money I would of saved. Many things went wrong with the beater and I had to fix all of it to get to work. Then I ended up selling the beater to a junk yard loosing more money, because I couldn't find a buyer for the beater. A MAJOR headache.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

sounds like a fair and reasonable offer to me. best of luck

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
sounds like a fair and reasonable offer to me. best of luck
Thanks brother. I have tradded in many cars and hope I don't get bashed like I have b4. My brother use to sell new and used Nissan's and I know ALOT about cars and dealers. I am new to BMW and hate going into the dealerships. I am an average person who doesn't have any extra cash to blow. I HATE going there, I feel like a skumbag with all the rich people looking at cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

I think your offer is more than reasonable, if your dealer won't take it call or stop by the next closest dealer... I would not budge too much from the numbers you are thinking about...

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think your offer is more than reasonable, if your dealer won't take it call or stop by the next closest dealer... I would not budge too much from the numbers you are thinking about...
Great. I figured that would make it a done deal. I will first tell them I have a buyer for my car so I can first deal with just the 135i and tell them I will bring in cash. No BMW financing to get the best deal on the 135i. Then I will tell them the buyer backed out so I need a number on my car. If they take $1k off the 135i and offer me $15.5k on my car I will take the deal. Much less hassle. Then I will put another $7k down. COOL. Thanks Mr. Vivid :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Great. I figured that would make it a done deal. I will first tell them I have a buyer for my car so I can first deal with just the 135i and tell them I will bring in cash. No BMW financing to get the best deal on the 135i. Then I will tell them the buyer backed out so I need a number on my car. If they take $1k off the 135i and offer me $15.5k on my car I will take the deal. Much less hassle. Then I will put another $7k down. COOL. Thanks Mr. Vivid :w00t:
no need to BS them, but it all in a spreadsheet and hand it to them... tell them take it or leave it...

Playing games can work if your asking for a rediculas offer but your offering them a great, fair and easy deal, IMO its a little better for them than you.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

A typical BMW dealer won't even give you trade in value for your car, as they don't want it on their lot. They are going to want to make money selling it to another dealer, who won't buy it at more than or equal to trade in. They all want your car only if they can make money on all transactions. Best bet is to sell it yourself. If you really want to save money, buy a '08 135i next year. They'll be a few around will low miles and many thousands less than the first owner paid. Mine is being delivered next week and I'm already thinking of selling it this time next year.
      05-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

jeff,

First off..I though tyou are leasing..didn't you ask about that in another thread?

Anyway...in feb 2009 you will be hard pressed to get anymore than 13.5 K from a dealer...if 15k is reasonable now another 10% hit in 8 months is not out of the question.

Ordering a car and trying to sell another at the right time is one of the headaches of car ownership.

You need a little luck and some great timing
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
jeff,

First off..I though tyou are leasing..didn't you ask about that in another thread?

Anyway...in feb 2009 you will be hard pressed to get anymore than 13.5 K from a dealer...if 15k is reasonable now another 10% hit in 8 months is not out of the question.

Ordering a car and trying to sell another at the right time is one of the headaches of car ownership.

All the numbers are on an 06 with 17,000 miles.

My car is an 07 with 5,000 miles. The idea was to figure out what my 07 with estimated miles will be worth in 10 months. I have done this b4 and its very accurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
A typical BMW dealer won't even give you trade in value for your car, as they don't want it on their lot. They are going to want to make money selling it to another dealer, who won't buy it at more than or equal to trade in. They all want your car only if they can make money on all transactions. Best bet is to sell it yourself. If you really want to save money, buy a '08 135i next year. They'll be a few around will low miles and many thousands less than the first owner paid. Mine is being delivered next week and I'm already thinking of selling it this time next year.
Thanks but as I said I have no other car to drive, I am not buying a beater, and I don't have the room for 2 cars. A trade is about the only thing I can do.

NO WAY I am buying any BMW used, never ever.
Thanks for taking the time. Jeff D.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
08AWM3
Machi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I have tried trade in my 06 FG2 with BMW and all the dealers I talked to will only offer me the lowest KBB price (auction price). Because BMW don't want to sell any other car expect BMW on their lot. Your best bet is sell it private or sell it back to a Honda (that is what I did) I got $17k (full KBB excellent value) for my FG2.
PS. You should sell ur FG2 asap since the 3rd gear problem is out of control now.
      05-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #20
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
jeff,

No not leasing. Don't want to get personal, but I am paying off a $25,000 home theater full HD 118" screen. It will be paid off in Oct 08. Then I will save for a decent down payment. Getting things in order. Divorced in 1991, child support and school is now finished, so I have alot more $$$ to actually start to live again. :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW135i View Post
I have tried trade in my 06 FG2 with BMW and all the dealers I talked to will only offer me the lowest KBB price (auction price). Because BMW don't want to sell any other car expect BMW on their lot. Your best bet is sell it private or sell it back to a Honda (that is what I did) I got $17k (full KBB excellent value) for my FG2.
PS. You should sell ur FG2 asap since the 3rd gear problem is out of control now.
HMMMM. Maybe Carmax will be my best bet. The last several times I tradded Carmax was exactly the same as the dealers on trade-in value. So what you are saying is BMW will probably offer me shit like $14,000. I guess I will just go to Carmax b4 going in to order the 135i in Feb 09. Then I can compare. The Carmax quote is good for 30 days. So that will give me a good idea of how badly I will get reamed. I will also try to sell myself and hope the buyer will wait until the rocket comes in. I will offer the buyer a discount for waiting. I will add this b4 taking a good offer, like $300 off. Or I will rent a car for a month.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All the numbers are on an 06 with 17,000 miles.

My car is an 07 with 5,000 miles. The idea was to figure out what my 07 with estimated miles will be worth in 10 months. I have done this b4 and its very accurate.

OK...makes sense..then 15 is possible....

still need to time it right if they don't agree...good luck
Appreciate 0