E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fill-up SNAFU

05-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335i e93

Fill-up SNAFU

decided to try a bottle of lucas additive on my last fill-up...like a dork, i tried to remove the bottle before it was empty and ended up spilling a few ounces of the stuff in the gas cap compartment...i was surprised and relieved when i realized there is a drainage hole in the compartment (see first pic), but i was thinking "where the heck is this stuff draining to?"...that's when i noticed a few drips coming out fo the rear panel right behind the wheel (see second pic)...my question is, how concerned should i be about this stuff swishing around in the bottom of the rear panel? should i try to flush it out, or just leave it be?

ps - that lucas stuff is the tits! what a difference...
Attached Images

05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

i wouldnt be too concerned about it doesnt eat paint does it? what are the noticable differences that you feel? smoother acceleration and better fuel economy?
      05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

probably drips inside the fender onto the ground like you saw. its meant for gas drainage so im sure the additive wont be too bad. just wipe it off any exterior paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What does that Lucas stuff do? I hope they don't claim to clean the intake valves on a 335....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
i wouldnt be too concerned about it doesnt eat paint does it? what are the noticable differences that you feel? smoother acceleration and better fuel economy?
overall increased responsiveness, especially from a stop...huge difference...there was a good thread in here a while back on the subject, but i can't find it anymore...here's what one member posted, which seems like a good description of how these work...

"To clear up a few misconceptions here...

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines."
      05-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
overall increased responsiveness, especially from a stop...huge difference...
placebo effect
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Zaid A
NorthTexasBimmerClub
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Which did you use exactly? I am thinking about picking up a bottle.
      05-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
placebo effect
nope...
      05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid A View Post
Which did you use exactly? I am thinking about picking up a bottle.
...this one...picked mine up at Auto Zone...
Attached Images

05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

^ Tune in a bottle?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
placebo effect
Yup^
      05-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Pure placebo effect.

Kids, don't add anything to your gas, unless you have a very good reason to do so.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

not placebo...i used to fly airplanes for a living...i can tell differences in acceleration...it saved my life several times...why don't you let people try it and draw their own conclusions?
      05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
tr_ms3
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Anyone have this guy on linkedin? Is he the national sales mgr for lucas additives?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
not placebo...i used to fly airplanes for a living...i can tell differences in acceleration...it saved my life several times...why don't you let people try it and draw their own conclusions?
Confirmation bias.

Highly doubtful you could tell the difference in a blind A/B test. I've used the same additives and while I am sure they do help over time to reduce carbon deposits and keep injectors in slightly better condition, I have noticed no discernable difference in performance on a tank by tank basis.

I don't get the plane reference. I fly planes. I've used the additives but it's different fuel, different engine technology and I don't see how they could have saved your life.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

jesus christ...i guess sharing a positive experience doesn't pay in here ...for the record, i have no affiliation with any automotive products...it's 6 bucks a bottle try it or don't...obviously, YMMV
      05-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
Confirmation bias.

Highly doubtful you could tell the difference in a blind A/B test. I've used the same additives and while I am sure they do help over time to reduce carbon deposits and keep injectors in slightly better condition, I have noticed no discernable difference in performance on a tank by tank basis.

I don't get the plane reference. I fly planes. I've used the additives but it's different fuel, different engine technology and I don't see how they could have saved your life.
ok, so you are basically stating that since you didn't notice any effect, it's impossible for anyone else to...great logic

i wasn't referencing flying because using additives saved my life...matter of fact, i'm not aware that any additives were used in our military fuel...i used it as a basis for denying that it was "placebo" effect...being a pilot, you probably understand that feeling accelerations can be useful...it's called "flying by the seat of your pants"...but i do know people that aren't as aware of differences in acceleration...my wife is a good example
      05-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok, so you are basically stating that since you didn't notice any effect, it's impossible for anyone else to...great logic

i wasn't referencing flying because using additives saved my life...matter of fact, i'm not aware that any additives were used in our military fuel...i used it as a basis for denying that it was "placebo" effect...being a pilot, you probably understand that feeling accelerations can be useful...it's called "flying by the seat of your pants"...but i do know people that aren't as aware of differences in acceleration...my wife is a good example
There are fuel stabilizers, water dispersement, and anti-fouling additives for 100LL fuel though probably not used in military applications. Again, those additives you don't feel on a tank by tank basis. More than anything, they are preventive as in they lower the chances of an issue whether it be fouling, clogging, varnishing, carbon build up, water accumulation, etc. Same applies for automotive additives. You don't feel them tank to tank. They just lower your chances of an issue or performance degradation over time. I don't think even Lucas claims you can feel it. The only exception would be octane boosters and that would only apply if you're timing is knock limited.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
There are fuel stabilizers, water dispersement, and anti-fouling additives for 100LL fuel though probably not used in military applications. Again, those additives you don't feel on a tank by tank basis. More than anything, they are preventive as in they lower the chances of an issue whether it be fouling, clogging, varnishing, carbon build up, water accumulation, etc. Same applies for automotive additives. You don't feel them tank to tank. They just lower your chances of an issue or performance degradation over time. I don't think even Lucas claims you can feel it. The only exception would be octane boosters and that would only apply if you're timing is knock limited.
all i can say is that before the additive, the car was sluggish, especially from a stop...after the additive, it was more responsive and accelerated more quickly...don't know why, don't know how, don't really care...just sharing an experience with the forum...people can draw their own conclusions...you obviously have

peace
      05-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
all i can say is that before the additive, the car was sluggish, especially from a stop...after the additive, it was more responsive and accelerated more quickly...don't know why, don't know how, don't really care...just sharing an experience with the forum...people can draw their own conclusions...you obviously have

peace
Entirely possible it cleared a partially clogged injector or a carbon deposit and you noticed the difference which is great. That's an unusually positive outcome and I don't think you would notice such a big benefit each time you used it which is why the others and I were saying placebo. But it did the trick. All good.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB

OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etichi View Post
OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?
guess not......but i'm learning......rush sux...