E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Help?! How to fix things after a hit and run.

04-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90marriage View Post
No worries, been doing alot of back and forth, and I'll drop the news before I get any repairs done. Just wanted to get all the info, estimates, and dates lined up before telling him so that he has little to fret over and can keep focused on his things. Good looking out
That's actually a pretty good way to do it. But ya, I think he'll appreciate discussing whether you pay the deductible and go with a large estimate or just pay with cash. It doesn't necessarily make sense to go with the one offering the door, because your rate may go up (insurance companies only like people that pay for the insurance and never use it).

If only one place said get a new door, that's the odd one out imo. I would personally lean towards paying for it yourself and possibly benefit from lower rates for not having any activity on your policy.
      04-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
e90marriage
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 sparkling graphite

Learned quite a bit in this past week...

Per insurance rep: Insurance premiums will not go up on a "hit and run" because it gets covered under "collision".

Per autobody shop: If I decide not to file a claim at this time or do repairs and inadvertently change to another insurance, I have a 2 year period to file the claim and have original insurance cover the repairs since it was the insurance at the time of the damage. Can you believe the beauty in that?

I've read posts on bondo coming off 2 years after initial repair. Are these rare occurences?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Ok. So a couple of things. First is come clean. I had recently installed a new AC Schnitzer body kit and had the car painted ($7,600 for everything including body kit) A week later my wife borrowed the car because I had the baby and the car seat was in our X5. When she came back the first thing out of her mouth was "how much do you love me?" I know exactly what happened and I asked how bad is it. Thankfully she was ok and it was just the front bumper that needed to be repairs. (took out a curb and concrete parking stop bar)

I don't care, I love my cars but I didnt marry them!

So as far as the deductible goes. You should find a shop who will do the work and guarantee it for life. Caliber Collision in Irvine (ask for Lee the manager and mention the black BMW with the body kit) he will know that you are looking for perfection. They are approved with all insurance companies. Some body shops will work with your deductible so you don't have to pay it. Especially the shop quoting you $2600 they better cover it at that cost.
      04-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #26
son.springer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series

I DO hope you plan to involve your car insurance company and get the best quality repair job done.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #27
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I'm sorry but I have to call caliber collision out because the serviced I received from them was unacceptable and exceptionally bad. My M3 was vandalized and initially, I had it towed to cliber since they had farmers (my insurance) on site, but after all the gimmick and what not their sa over there was trying to sell to me, I did not think twice and drove my car on flat tires (yes my tired was slashed + some other damages from vandalism). Again, there's probably nothing wrong with their work overall, it was just my gut feeling that my car, especially given that it had only 4k miles on the clock at that time, would be far better off over at spectrum than it would be in caliber. Again, I can't, and wouldn't comment on caliber's quality on their work, but a quick search on google did yield me some extremely bad comments about them which is another reason why I took my car over at spectrum. but, if you do decide to go to spectrum, be prepare to wait for the repair. Their communication between insurance company SUCKS. So it would take a long time to just get the "paperwork done". Would I take my car back to spectrum again given that I know how they like to take their sweet time? Yes. By the time you see the repair you would know the wait was worth it.