E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So I tested a e92 335xi...

01-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

So I tested a e92 335xi...

I found a 2009 335xi with about 60k at my local BMW dealer and I wanted to see if it was worth the move. It was mineral grey and fully loaded with sport and premium. So upon driving it I will say, I need the sports seats. I should not have driven this because those bad boys almost sold me. The interior still have a new leather smell even after almost 6 years on the road, and the adjustable bolsters were awesome. The thick steering wheel was also a plus, but not in such a dramatic way. Maybe it was the peeling plastic and light wear of the leather.

On to the important part, the reason I went to drive it, the engine. I will say that it sounded and was geared very similarly to my 330 and since it was an xi it was very similarly behaved. The turbo kick was very nice though and I can only imagine the mayhem from a JB4 or other tune and mods. But stock for stock I was not a dramatic difference, although I didn't really destroy the throttle since it was not my car.

So when I got back (they let me take it out solo) the sales dude had appraised my car and we went and talked about financing. Long story short, my car is is perfect condition for a 2006 330xi and I refused to take a hit on it. The 335 did have a leftover extended warranty and a very clean bill of health with no turbo or HPFP issues.

They offered a reasonable deal but even so I could not do it. I told them to find me a 2009 335 in blue with brown interior and a 6 speed and the guy laughed, not surprised, but I told him thats what I needed to really take the hit on my car.

TLDR: tried a 335 stock, it was nice. My car is nice. I will buy a new one when I hopefully have more expendable cash in a couple years unless I find the perfect one.

Anyone else try out a 335 and decide against it, even with their potential?

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
ilicboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

Let me first say I apologize for bumping this very old thread.

I am assuming you went to Husker BMW? I live in Lincoln, on the south side. Those guys are a joke down there, but I scored a good deal from them back in November. I was down there picking up some parts and came across a 335d that caught my eye and then an 09 E90 335xi. I was in the process of selling my 545i so that's why cars for sale there caught my eye. I ended up deciding on the 335xi and then going back and forth with them on how much my car was worth.

They offered $4000 for my 545i with 132k miles. I think they were unaware of the SES light it had on for secondary air issues. They were trying to tell me that's the amount 545i's went for at recent auctions. Anyways, back and forth for a while with arguing, we somehow got to the number I wanted. I honestly have no idea how they gave me $8000 for my old 545i, but as soon as we agreed on it I signed the papers and got out of there! It was very shocking because I was selling it privately for $8000. I had all records, receipts, and pretty much almost every N62 issue resolved.

A week later I found out my 335xi had a Stage 1 Dinan tune! I don't think Husker knew even though it appears they originally installed it on the car. They probably don't pay attention too much on their used lot. Their customer service is kind of an F rating from me. I was pretty excited. So far I just have the BMS DCI on it. Probably going JB4 in the spring. Let me know if you see a Space Gray E90 335xi around town. It's probably me! Stop me if you want.
Appreciate 0