E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > CPO BMW with Accident

07-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Mark12
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

CPO BMW with Accident

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 328i in Illinois about two months ago. I noticed the windshield wiper fluid kept emptying out after about 3 weeks, so I took it to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. They refilled the tank and it emptied out again in 2 weeks.

Earlier today, I took my car to a different dealer and he said the car had been in an accident before. He also said BMW may not replace the part since it had been replaced and painted over. I wasn't aware of the face that the car had been in an accident at the time of purchase. In the end, the wiper fluid leak hasn't been fixed because I didn't want to end up paying out of pocket.

I'm planning on going back to the dealer I purchased the car from. Before I go see them, I'd like to learn more about accidents and CPO. I understand a BMW won't get certified if it had been in a "major accident". But, I don't know what's considered a major accident.

Please help me understand CPO a little better. It seems like the dealership/bmw should be responsible for fixing something that was broken when I got the car. Especially with the CPO warranty. I can use some feedback on this issue before I go see them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 328i in Illinois about two months ago. I noticed the windshield wiper fluid kept emptying out after about 3 weeks, so I took it to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. They refilled the tank and it emptied out again in 2 weeks.

Earlier today, I took my car to a different dealer and he said the car had been in an accident before. He also said BMW may not replace the part since it had been replaced and painted over. I wasn't aware of the face that the car had been in an accident at the time of purchase. In the end, the wiper fluid leak hasn't been fixed because I didn't want to end up paying out of pocket.

I'm planning on going back to the dealer I purchased the car from. Before I go see them, I'd like to learn more about accidents and CPO. I understand a BMW won't get certified if it had been in a "major accident". But, I don't know what's considered a major accident.

Please help me understand CPO a little better. It seems like the dealership/bmw should be responsible for fixing something that was broken when I got the car. Especially with the CPO warranty. I can use some feedback on this issue before I go see them.

Thanks
They will certify cars that are lemons. Just saying. They CPO'd my 2011 335 that was a PUMA case and had HPFP when it was certified.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post

Thanks

Keep in mind it could have been certified before the accident, then someone traded it in (the CPO doesnt disappear, it just ends at the end of the CPO term!). Have someone experienced check out the car, they can usually tell the extent of the damage. When I was searching for 2007 CPOs I noticed a couple were in accidents.
      07-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
1. Do you have it in written from other dealer that car was in accident?
2. Did original Dealer provided you Clean Carfax before you bought the car?
3. Did original dealer listed this car as CPO and had Clean carfax before you bought it?

If your answers are YES;then go back to dealer and tell him that you went to other dealer and they told you that car was involved in an accident and it had clean carfax,why the accident was not reported? Return the car as lemon, file a complaint with BMWNA
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

If it is a CPO and with warranty they should fix the issue. I would call the dealer that you purchased from and notify of the issue and most likely they will take care of it.

As for CARFAX, do not believe it 100%, I've bought roll overs before with clean CARFAX history. CARFAX does not hide anything, but if the accident wasn't reported there is no history of it. Best would be to take it to a good body shop and let them do a close inspection. If there is major damage, then return the car since it was not disclosed to you before purchase. I would be surprised though that a car would be CPO with major previous damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
P-rex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black 335is DCT

Important to keep in mind that... ONLY CLAIMS are reported on carfax... meaning that if the person was in a fender bender or worst and got the car fixed I dependently, then there will be no claim and shady dealership will not do the proper inspection before they CPO and sell instead of dumping it to the auction....

If this happened to me...I would have the dealership that reported the accident issue document this and I would send that info to BMWNA to rectify...

When I was look at an 09 lease returned 335i.... We test drove one and which I was making an offer on... And when I was looking for scratches on the rims and paint to be touched up on.... I saw the rear bumper was off and dented with paint over.... I asked the sales guy and he told me that there was no claim... Hence... They are selling it... They said they would change the number absorber and put a new cover over it....

I walked away....
Appreciate 0