E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d lci Turbo issues

02-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
xube8
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d lci

320d lci Turbo issues

Hi guys
So my turbo has been making a whistling noise, no loss of power and no smoke, but I'm kinda guessing it needs some attention.
Any suggestions what it might be before I start getting the turbo changed, and if it is the turbo, any suggestions of who I could use to get it reconditioned, I tried CR turbos, any others?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

you sure its the turbo..? and not a split flexi joint..is the dpf still in place?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
xube8
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
you sure its the turbo..? and not a split flexi joint..is the dpf still in place?

Hi
Yes, the dpf is still there, and it's what the guy at the local indy have said, they checked it out in case it was a split pipe, but said it was the turbo, is there someway I could check the pipes myself?
I spoke with CR turbos and Essex turbos, have any of you had experience with either of these companies?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Itsabdi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

kinda normal i think. mine whistles too this is only just after 1.5k rpm and before peak boost (2k rpm)

its being going for about a year now.

power is still solid all the way through.

all i did was put money to the side in case it did went poop.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
helpmepls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Hi all,

Having the same problem though the sound is a siren noise that gets louder as the car is revved more. There are no other symptoms as far as I know.

I took it to two garages - one just listened to the car and said it was the turbo (didn't actually check under the hood) and the other said it was probably a chip in the turbo fin and said if the noise doesn't bother me, feel free to keep driving it.

Both of those are skeptical to me and spoke to a garage on the phone who suggested to get the car diagnosed properly before getting the turbo replaced.

I think I will take it to get diagnosed but I'm keen to hear some thoughts (also is it even safe to drive to a garage?).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

My E46 320d did this. Sounded like the police were chasing me while going up through the gears,especially with the window open . It did it soon after I got it at 88k and still did it when on 210k when I got rid of it. Someone is still driving it. I just loved with the sound and gave it regular oil changes.

I did speak to an indi garage about it, they said it's definitely the turbo and it could go pop soon or just stay like it for ages which in my case it did last well.

No effect on the power, I was running it with a tuning box for all the miles I owned it.
Appreciate 0