E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help With Replacing Blower Motor Resistor

07-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #23
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i e90

Thanks aman475, I was trying to dtermine if it was my resistor or motor, I saw your post, gave it a shot and it works. I turned my fan a revolution or two after I put wd40 on it to work it in, got in car, started it, turned on fan and I had air.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Thanks aman475

Just wanted to offer another "Thanks" for your post of this quick fix.

My car was under a 1 year extension of its original CPO...until 10-3-14. Naturally, my AC stopped blowing on 10-10-14. It had done this once before a few months ago but came on by itself after a 5 minute delay so I didn't act on it (like a fool).

After doing a search for blower problems (at about 10 PM), I found this thread and the solution offered by aman475. I immediately went to my car, started it, turned on the AC (nothing happened) and gave the passenger's side of the console a good smack and the blower started up. But, I heard a groaning at high fan speeds that I never noticed before, probably because of listening to the stereo and not running max fan speeds that often.

So...the next AM, I removed the microfilter, looked down the passenger's side intake and saw the rusty bolt, just as described. Used the straw technique and...voila!

No problems since and...the groaning is gone at max fan speeds.

Thanks again, aman475!

(Note: I had a deteriorating windshield seal for about a year before I finally got a new windshield and replaced the seal. Guess that set me up for this.)
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 10-13-2014 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Add text
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #25
maxibor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Thumbs up

You are genius - some W40 on a motor shaft and a little help turning and it works !!! Definitely saved myself some greens. Probably the motor has to be replaced in future, but should be good for sometime now
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman475 View Post
Hello all

I had a problem with the heater blower motor it was not working at all. I checked the fuses ,they were ok then i decided to replace it.but before you replace it please take out the micro filter from under the bonnet

Then from the passenger side duct on the right hand driven cars look at the blower motor .you will see a rusty bolt please take wd40 and a long straw and put it on top of put lot of it eg a spoon full.

Then turn your car on and make sure the blower is on from the digital controls .move the blower motor with help of a screw driver or any other object that could get into the duct .and it will start working .if your motor is not fully blown .

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Rohit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Hello all

I had a problem with the heater blower motor it was not working at all. I checked the fuses ,they were ok then i decided to replace it.but before you replace it please take out the micro filter from under the bonnet

Then from the passenger side duct on the right hand driven cars look at the blower motor .you will see a rusty bolt please take wd40 and a long straw and put it on top of put lot of it eg a spoon full.

Then turn your car on and make sure the blower is on from the digital controls .move the blower motor with help of a screw driver or any other object that could get into the duct .and it will start working .if your motor is not fully blown .

Good luck
You're a lifesaver! This did the trick, thanks brother.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #27
Revern83
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Thanks aman475!!! after only having my 335i for 3 months you can imagine how upset I was when this issue came about without warning. Im going to say that it came as a blessing in disguise as it led me to trying to dissect the problem online and coming across e90post. After alot of reading I was searching for the best priced blower motor/FSR then came across this......What a lifesaver you are!! 15 minutes and it was as good as new. Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #28
FreddieK
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 2006 E90 325i

Quote:
Hello all

Good luck
After looking at the Valeo Blower Motor and Regulator combined part for $130. Called around and got my best price at $380 to replaced. Watched the Utube videos on how to replace both..... I decided to give this a try. WORKED LIKE A CHARM! Thank you! My vents blower harder then when I bought the car. Great fix and easy too!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #29
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Today this same thing happened to me, no air whatsoever...so after trying a couple of things, I run into this post and run back to the garage to try it....and yes, this is the most simple yet effective solution I have ever seen. Since the past couple of day have been really nice, I run like a week without either heat or AC thus giving time to rust to move forward...so after a couple of shots with penetrating oil and then only oil spray and help it with a long screw driver, that thing is back alive!! Thanks Aman!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
jsupes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I replaced the blower and FSR on my e92 today. Fan issues are all fixed now. I decided to investigate the old parts to see if I could root cause the problem. Turns out the my blower was working fine (12V to the 2pin connector and the blower spun right up).

So the issue was with the FSR. I took it apart to see if I could diagnose it. Easily since the plastic is just held on with those 5 clips. It turns out 2 of the 3 capacitors on my board were loose. They wiggle very easily and you can hear the contacts moving against the board. However, the capacitors are flush mounted against the board and it seems like there's no easy way to get at the back of the board. So I grabbed the heatgun to try to reflow the solder against the capacitors. Seems like it worked, and the capacitors didn't wiggle anymore. Might be worth trying before you end up buying a new FSR.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #31
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Big Thank You!

Quote:
Hello all

Good luck
Man I can't tell you enough how well this your suggestion worked! I've been trying to figure out what was causing the lack of AC blower and was about to give up. Thank you so much!
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #32
Speed-D
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

So I just found out that I have this issue, and it seems that my FSR melted pretty bad so I already have a new one in the mail, along with the connector that I plan on soldering new wires on and installing the connector.

My question that I wanted to ask here is if anyone lost all power to their cars or had their ecu reset after this happened. I know this typically points to the b+ cable at the back of the fuse box, but it seems that mine has already been replaced as I have no open recalls on my 335d. I only found this short while I was working on getting to the back of the fuse box so I stopped there to get the new parts and before I spent any time digging the fuse box out I wanted to see if this short could cause similar side affects to a shorting b+ cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #33
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-D View Post
So I just found out that I have this issue, and it seems that my FSR melted pretty bad so I already have a new one in the mail, along with the connector that I plan on soldering new wires on and installing the connector.

My question that I wanted to ask here is if anyone lost all power to their cars or had their ecu reset after this happened. I know this typically points to the b+ cable at the back of the fuse box, but it seems that mine has already been replaced as I have no open recalls on my 335d. I only found this short while I was working on getting to the back of the fuse box so I stopped there to get the new parts and before I spent any time digging the fuse box out I wanted to see if this short could cause similar side affects to a shorting b+ cable.
Hey bud, I see you were having a similar issue as me, the HVAC blower just not working at all. I saw your posts over on M3post as well, did you ever get it fixed?

I dont have the b+ cable issue like you, just the blower motor issue. My connector is melted, the wire is corroded too. Just wondering if you got the parts/fixed the wiring connector. Any info is appreciated.
Appreciate 0