E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil change -- what oil to use?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #309
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92, 2013 X1 28i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
What are the Group 4 PAO/Ester options at similar price points, say, $23-$26/5 Qt range?
lol sorry none in that range, more in the price point of your first option.
$8-$10 a liter is realistic..unless thers a sale
you keep asking about 07 51 0 017 866, just a guess but could that be ll-98?
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own tune w MHD, e20, 68F
https://datazap.me/u/sgop335/3rd?log...-25-29&mark=38
400hp, 400lbft
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #310
bavarianride
Major
170
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
lol sorry none in that range, more in the price point of your first option.
$8-$10 a liter is realistic..unless thers a sale
you keep asking about 07 51 0 017 866, just a guess but could that be ll-98?
$8-$10 a liter is not bad, I think LiquiMolly LL-01 is in that range, so is LiquiMolly PA0? There is no description in back label.

LL98 PN 866 is possible, but unclear since back label does not say, nor any data sheet is (publicly?) available. Many say PN 866 is rebranded Gold Castrol 5w30(definitely LL01), but there is no written proof.

It is just that BMW service has used PN 866 till 2013-2014, it is odd they used a non-LL01 oil for so long on their own cars ....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #311
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92, 2013 X1 28i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
$8-$10 a liter is not bad, I think LiquiMolly LL-01 is in that range, so is LiquiMolly PA0? There is no description in back label.

LL98 PN 866 is possible, but unclear since back label does not say, nor any data sheet is (publicly?) available. Many say PN 866 is rebranded Gold Castrol 5w30(definitely LL01), but there is no written proof.

It is just that BMW service has used PN 866 till 2013-2014, it is odd they used a non-LL01 oil for so long on their own cars ....
Yes there are a few LM that are pao. Synthoil energy 0w40 is ll01 or ll98 (a little confusing) and synthoil 0w30 and synthoil 5w40 is ll98. Just because some oils are in that price range doesn't mean they are pao etc. plenty of price gougers there. I will try to prepare a list of known pao/ester in the price range.
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own tune w MHD, e20, 68F
https://datazap.me/u/sgop335/3rd?log...-25-29&mark=38
400hp, 400lbft

Last edited by Sgop335; 01-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #312
bavarianride
Major
170
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Yes there are a few LM that are pao. Synthoil energy 0w40 is ll01 or ll98 (a little confusing) and synthoil 0w30 and synthoil 5w40 is ll98. Just because some oils are in that price range doesn't mean they are pao etc. plenty of price gougers there. I will try to prepare a list of known pao/ester in the price range.
A list of PAO LL01 and/or MB 229.5 will be nice, thanks!

BTW, are these two LL01 LM's used by my indy also PAO?

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 Liqui Moly GmbH
Liqui Moly Special Tec LL SAE 5W-30 Liqui Moly GmbH

Last edited by bavarianride; 01-05-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #313
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92, 2013 X1 28i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
A list of PAO LL01 and/or MB 229.5 will be nice, thanks!

BTW, are these two LL01 LM's used by my indy also PAO?

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 Liqui Moly GmbH
Liqui Moly Special Tec LL SAE 5W-30 Liqui Moly GmbH

Albeit a short list will add as necessary. Oils in this list are quite excellent and pao or so. The oil weight choice / viscosity (esp. when cold) will depend on the regional weather. If you find any of these oils cheap lmk lol...
*********
Rowe synth rs 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $9
Total quartz 9000 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 $9 Note this used to be Elf excellium 0w30 (great oil) and the carry over (good stuff) is still available. Brand new stock is not pao nor is ll01
Ravenol ssl 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $10
Ravenol vst 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $9
Castrol 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 <$9 aka german castrol, Note could be found cheaper locally and is no longer made in germany
Yacco vx1000ll 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $11
Yacco vx1000ll 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 <$10
**********

PS: answer to your two oils, No.
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own tune w MHD, e20, 68F
https://datazap.me/u/sgop335/3rd?log...-25-29&mark=38
400hp, 400lbft

Last edited by Sgop335; 01-06-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #314
bavarianride
Major
170
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Albeit a short list will add as necessary. Oils in this list are quite excellent and pao or so. The oil weight choice / viscosity (esp. when cold) will depend on the regional weather. If you find any of these oils cheap lmk lol...
*********
Motul 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $10
Motul 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 <$8
Rowe 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $9
Total quartz 9000 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 $9 Note this used to be Elf excellium 0w30 (great oil) and the carry over (good stuff) is still available. Brand new stock is not pao nor is ll01
Ravenol ssl 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $10
Castrol 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 <$9 aka german castrol, Note could be found cheaper locally and is no longer made in germany
Yacco 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $11
Yacco 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 <$10
**********

PS: answer to your two oils, No.
Very cool, thanks! BTW Castrol 0W30 at times are available at local Walmart.
Appreciate 1
Sgop335388.50

      01-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #315
titium
Captain
290
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
A list of PAO LL01 and/or MB 229.5 will be nice, thanks!

BTW, are these two LL01 LM's used by my indy also PAO?

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 Liqui Moly GmbH
Liqui Moly Special Tec LL SAE 5W-30 Liqui Moly GmbH

Albeit a short list will add as necessary. Oils in this list are quite excellent and pao or so. The oil weight choice / viscosity (esp. when cold) will depend on the regional weather. If you find any of these oils cheap lmk lol...
*********
Motul 8100 Xmax 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $10
Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 <$8
Rowe synth rs 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $9
Total quartz 9000 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 $9 Note this used to be Elf excellium 0w30 (great oil) and the carry over (good stuff) is still available. Brand new stock is not pao nor is ll01
Ravenol ssl 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $10
Ravenol vst 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $9
Castrol 0w30 ll01 mb229.5 <$9 aka german castrol, Note could be found cheaper locally and is no longer made in germany
Yacco vx1000ll 0w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 $11
Yacco vx1000ll 5w40 ll01 mb229.5 porsche a40 <$10
**********

PS: answer to your two oils, No.
motul 8100 isn't pao or ester even though it's marketed as such in certain places on their website.

don't believe me? take a look at the composition listed on the msds.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #316
bavarianride
Major
170
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
motul 8100 isn't pao or ester even though it's marketed as such in certain places on their website.

don't believe me? take a look at the composition listed on the msds.
You are correct, Motul 8100 X-CESS 5W40 msds does say:

DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC >= 50%
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #317
Sgop335
Major
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
389
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92, 2013 X1 28i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Lol guess the list gets shorter. Didnt expect the lies from motul. Had my doubts on the 8100 5w40, but even 0w40
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
Own tune w MHD, e20, 68F
https://datazap.me/u/sgop335/3rd?log...-25-29&mark=38
400hp, 400lbft
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #318
cliftoncburton
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: X corrolla
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: bd

iTrader: (0)

Where can I dispose of used motor oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #319
robygomez
Private
Mexico
8
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 325i, 2010, E90
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mexico City

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Im uploading a file that shows different oil brands that meet LL-01 BMW requirement, hope it helps to those who need this kind of oil for their cars.
The only suggestion would be to get 0W if you leave in cold places but if not 5W would do fine.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LL-01english17.pdf (97.6 KB, 96 views)
Appreciate 1
meko29.50

      03-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #320
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftoncburton View Post
Where can I dispose of used motor oil?
If you're in the US, it's required in most areas that the local place you purchased it from take the used oil for recycling. Just bring it back in the old containers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #321
robygomez
Private
Mexico
8
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 325i, 2010, E90
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mexico City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftoncburton View Post
Where can I dispose of used motor oil?
I believe Autozone takes burned oil.

GREETINGS
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #322
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
princelybug's Avatar
South Korea
53
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orange, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robygomez View Post
Im uploading a file that shows different oil brands that meet LL-01 BMW requirement, hope it helps to those who need this kind of oil for their cars.
The only suggestion would be to get 0W if you leave in cold places but if not 5W would do fine.
Just went to Walmart and found another BMW LL-01 oil:

Castrol EDGE 5W-40us

http://i57.tinypic.com/2isebe1.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #323
mtine
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i coupe 2010
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Edmonton, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'm using Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40.

For me this is the best oil for my bmw.
Before I started with Liqui Moly, I saw a lot of videos on YouTube about the residues of the oil, and Liqui moly was one of the best.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #324
nvturbo
Private
nvturbo's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

^^ Used Liquid Moly products before in another car and wasn't impressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #325
Joester
Grand Champion
Joester's Avatar
153
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i 6MT Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robygomez View Post
Im uploading a file that shows different oil brands that meet LL-01 BMW requirement, hope it helps to those who need this kind of oil for their cars.
The only suggestion would be to get 0W if you leave in cold places but if not 5W would do fine.
Mobil1 Euro Car 0W-40 is not LL-01.

It used to be, but not anymore. Why is anyone's guess.
__________________
2011 328i 6MT 4DOOR - Black on Black, Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Xenons, 3.73 diff swap

Gone But Not Forgotten - 2009 135i - Black on Black M-sport JB4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #326
nvturbo
Private
nvturbo's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Mobil1 Euro Car 0W-40 is not LL-01.

It used to be, but not anymore. Why is anyone's guess.
From what I've read, they have found it doesn't meet BMW's requirement after testing...so that oil has been removed from their recommended list.

"Hrrmm thought" - if you read the 1qt bottle, it states it is LL-01 approved but the 5qt jug isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #327
Joester
Grand Champion
Joester's Avatar
153
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i 6MT Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
"Hrrmm thought" - if you read the 1qt bottle, it states it is LL-01 approved but the 5qt jug isn't.
Really? I know the 5qt bottle doesn't have LL-01 on it but I didn't realize the 1qt bottle did have it... I have a 1qt bottle in my trunk, I'll check when I go to get lunch today if it has LL-01 on the 1qt.
__________________
2011 328i 6MT 4DOOR - Black on Black, Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Xenons, 3.73 diff swap

Gone But Not Forgotten - 2009 135i - Black on Black M-sport JB4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #328
nvturbo
Private
nvturbo's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Really? I know the 5qt bottle doesn't have LL-01 on it but I didn't realize the 1qt bottle did have it... I have a 1qt bottle in my trunk, I'll check when I go to get lunch today if it has LL-01 on the 1qt.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #329
Joester
Grand Champion
Joester's Avatar
153
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i 6MT Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

nvturbo My 1qt bottle of Mobil1 0W-40 does not have LL-01 on it, that picture must be an old bottle?
__________________
2011 328i 6MT 4DOOR - Black on Black, Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Xenons, 3.73 diff swap

Gone But Not Forgotten - 2009 135i - Black on Black M-sport JB4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #330
sainif82
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mississauga ON

iTrader: (0)

5 40 Liqui moly
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST