E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335d suspension help

09-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
fat.tail.event
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d (soon)

335d suspension help

Hi all,

Newbie here, about to purchase the 335d here in California, and it looks like I won't be getting the sports suspension package. However, I'd like to upgrade the stock suspension to perform like the ZSP. I would probably use a set of Alufelgen CS7 18" wheels. And I do not want to lower the car, so even the Eibach Pro Kit would not work. I just want to maintain a stock look.

Question: what suspension options do I have to get ZSP performance without the lowered look?

Thanks!

PS - The main reason to not get the sports package is that all cars around here with the sports package seem to also come with all sorts of other add-ons that I do not want! And I'm too impatient to wait the 8+ weeks for a custom order!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Skipping the sports package means you'll lose out on the sports seats, the better steering wheel and some other minor things. I'd wait the eight weeks or at least have your dealer try to locate something similar to what you really want.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Skipping the sports package means you'll lose out on the sports seats, the better steering wheel and some other minor things. I'd wait the eight weeks or at least have your dealer try to locate something similar to what you really want.
What he said. The sports package is a must have. Seats alone are worth it. IMHO they shouldn't make the car w/o this package. Don't settle. Get the sports package. I traded in a 335i because I didn't research & figure this out b4 I bought the car. Don't be that guy -

Upgraded wheels, increased speed limiter, suspension, steering wheel, paddles, seats - what'd I forget?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
fat.tail.event
Registered
Rep

Ah, right... the seats. I wish I was a bigger fan of the current sport wheels. Ah well. Maybe I'll take a sports package without Navi, if that config is out there. It'd be nice to stay almost within budget at least. LOL

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I don't have the zsp and my seats are just fine, very comfortable with the premium package. The steering wheel can be changed if it bothers you that much and the trim can be wrapped all for less than what you will spend on the zsp. The suspension in my book is the biggest sacrafice, but easily fixed. The navi is a must have as far as I am concerned and I would NOT sacrafice that for zsp, no way, no how. The nav is awesome.

You can upgrade the shocks to Koni FSD's and say zsp springs from Tischer. This will maintain the ride height and comfort and handling will be on par with zsp.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
fat.tail.event
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I don't have the zsp and my seats are just fine, very comfortable with the premium package. The steering wheel can be changed if it bothers you that much and the trim can be wrapped all for less than what you will spend on the zsp. The suspension in my book is the biggest sacrafice, but easily fixed. The navi is a must have as far as I am concerned and I would NOT sacrafice that for zsp, no way, no how. The nav is awesome.

You can upgrade the shocks to Koni FSD's and say zsp springs from Tischer. This will maintain the ride height and comfort and handling will be on par with zsp.
OK, thanks. And what about sway bars?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat.tail.event View Post
OK, thanks. And what about sway bars?
I am running oem sway bars, which are the same sway bars found on the zsp equipped cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I am running oem sway bars, which are the same sway bars found on the zsp equipped cars.
Are you sure? On the "i" cars the front bar is much stiffer sport versus non-sport. Rear bar is the same.

Also the front guide supports are different between non-sport and sport. I'm 99% certain the shocks are different too.

So: OP, to change from non-sport to sport suspension: shocks, springs, front sway bar, guide supports, and check bump stops. Use the ETK and look at what's different for your car: realoem.com. Do you really need everything? Up to you, but that's what's different.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
What he said. The sports package is a must have. Seats alone are worth it. IMHO they shouldn't make the car w/o this package. Don't settle. Get the sports package. I traded in a 335i because I didn't research & figure this out b4 I bought the car. Don't be that guy -

Upgraded wheels, increased speed limiter, suspension, steering wheel, paddles, seats - what'd I forget?
x2

OP, you should be able to compare the standard seats to the sport seats on the dealer lot in a 335i. You need to decide for yourself if the seats matter. I would never settle for the standard seats compared with the sport seats, but you may not find the difference to be worthwhile.

You really owe it to yourself to make the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

ZSP is a must IMO....standard seats are like sitting on a regular sofa, and ZSP seats are like lazy boys.....

Nav is a must tooo, especially now that they made using a cell phone while driving illegal, well at least here on the west coast.

Also OP say you don't want to lower your car? Well by switching to even the ZSP suspension, you're lowering your car by .6". I know that's not THAT big of a diff, just saying....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0