E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Rebuild?

01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Turbo Rebuild?

So when white smoke starts coming out of the exhaust the seals are going out and most need to start thinking about new ones. Is it possible to rebuild the turbo or is it simply easier just to get new ones? Ive been really curious as of late if a rebuild is a cheaper solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Brand new OEM units are about $600 each which is a great deal if you consider that they are brand new and come with brand new Internal wastegates and wastegate actuators. You can rebuild your CHRA's as well, for about $250 or less, but are still left with a rebuilt unit with potentially very worn wastegates. All in all, if looking for on the cheap, I'd just bite the bullet and get brand new OEM units from Tischer or the like. Some would even be interested in your cores for maybe a couple hundred and the condition in that situation does not matter.

On another note, there are other things that can contribute to smoking out the exhaust, but turbos is definitely a possibility as well.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Brand new OEM units are about $600 each which is a great deal if you consider that they are brand new and come with brand new Internal wastegates and wastegate actuators. You can rebuild your CHRA's as well, for about $250 or less, but are still left with a rebuilt unit with potentially very worn wastegates. All in all, if looking for on the cheap, I'd just bite the bullet and get brand new OEM units from Tischer or the like. Some would even be interested in your cores for maybe a couple hundred and the condition in that situation does not matter.

On another note, there are other things that can contribute to smoking out the exhaust, but turbos is definitely a possibility as well.

Rob
+1 I swapped out my bad stock center sections to ones with around 10k miles on them onto my 29k old stock units, cost including labor was 200 bucks.

After watching the guy do it, I believe swapping centers is a diy provided the turbos are off the car.
      01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post

Rob
Ahh I see. I don't have a smoking issue per say but I have been wondering bc I've never seen a discussion about rebuilding the stock ones and always wondered why.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

I have about 100 OEM centersections as well that I practically give away, if you end up going that route let me know.
Appreciate 0