E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

12-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #221
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
I had posted the p/n for the connector couple posts above. The pin outs I have are not full diagram wire only to re-pin mic & Aux wiring. Your head unit now is what I believe handles the aux. When the mulf2 is added this unit now takes over the aux input and carries it back to the head unit via MOST. This is what happened when I did the install on my car. Even though I do not have the iDrive system; I suspect the same for your car as well.
PichaDis11 - so i tried to connect everything up. I coded 644 and 6Fl into the VO, but when i try to activate bluetooth it just keep thinking.

In NCS and tool32 it says cannot connect to ECU / Control Unit. Any idea what may be wrong? I directly used the PINs from the white to the Blue (seems to have power as i see the red MOST light up on the MULF).

Not sure what is messed up that wont let me communicate to the MULF? Is it incorrect MOST cable or likely a PIN in the MULF connector block?

Any additional insights appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #222
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic
Quote:
I had posted the p/n for the connector couple posts above. The pin outs I have are not full diagram wire only to re-pin mic & Aux wiring. Your head unit now is what I believe handles the aux. When the mulf2 is added this unit now takes over the aux input and carries it back to the head unit via MOST. This is what happened when I did the install on my car. Even though I do not have the iDrive system; I suspect the same for your car as well.
PichaDis11 - so i tried to connect everything up. I coded 644 and 6Fl into the VO, but when i try to activate bluetooth it just keep thinking.

In NCS and tool32 it says cannot connect to ECU / Control Unit. Any idea what may be wrong? I directly used the PINs from the white to the Blue (seems to have power as i see the red MOST light up on the MULF).

Not sure what is messed up that wont let me communicate to the MULF? Is it incorrect MOST cable or likely a PIN in the MULF connector block?

Any additional insights appreciated.
Most likely the MOST cable setup. There's a PDF floating around with the directions to retrofit from BMW but that didn't work for me. You might have to reconfigure it yourself to include the mulf2 on the loop.
When the loop isn't closed I could hear faint cut outs in my speakers.
      12-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #223
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Most likely the MOST cable setup. There's a PDF floating around with the directions to retrofit from BMW but that didn't work for me. You might have to reconfigure it yourself to include the mulf2 on the loop.
When the loop isn't closed I could hear faint cut outs in my speakers.
So i got the MULF all setup w the phone now. But when i try to place a call... there is no audio over the speakers? Any clue what could be going on?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #224
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
So i got the MULF all setup w the phone now. But when i try to place a call... there is no audio over the speakers? Any clue what could be going on?
No clue here man. Can see phone volume setting and such in idrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #225
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hey there,
I was in the same situation until I switched the pins behind the glovebox. Make sure you've done that, as well as switched the pins in the connector in the trunk. The instructions for this are in the guide, so go through and verify you did it correctly.

Good luck!
Hey I'm doing it now as we speak and slot one for the yellow wire is taken?? So what do I do now?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #226
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

I also wanna add that I have and adapter from mike benvo bc I installed a combox? I don't know if that makes a difference? I will post pics of what I got
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #227
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Never mind I figured it out.. All I did though was switch the wires in the glove compartment I didn't have to touch the ones in the trunk.. Thank for the help anyway guys..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #228
kboretti
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sedan

Does this Bluetooth solution support audio streaming? Or is it phone calls only?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #229
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboretti View Post
Does this Bluetooth solution support audio streaming? Or is it phone calls only?
Phone only.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #230
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Ok so I have these :

S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S640A AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG Preparation f tel.installation universal
S672A CD WECHSLER 6-FACH CD changer for 6 CDs
S677A HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL HiFi System Professional DSP
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio

What else do I need ? How do I look to see if I have the module in trunk or not ?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #231
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgill420 View Post
Hi ... I'm new on the forums, just got a 2007 335i, It came with navigation, bluetooth, can only be used with phone call, and aux input. I wanted to get the Bluetooth audio working, if anyone can point me to where to get the Bluetooth Antena, as I'm assuming I should be able to use this guide to setup my bluetooth audio. The wiring is already there due to the bluetooth being setup for Phone use already. thanks
You have 6FL, not a combox. Search those two terms for more details, but tl;dr you're out of luck for streaming audio.

Your best bet is this thing. http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-WMA1000.../dp/B00B52LLJ6

Far cheaper than any good aftermarket streaming options or combox retrofit, and works exactly like a wireless Y cable.
      05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #232
rgill420
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Thank you for replying. I was searching some other posts and came across the following thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537592

It seems like patrys at bimmertech got this job done. I sent a PM, lets hope something is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
You have 6FL, not a combox. Search those two terms for more details, but tl;dr you're out of luck for streaming audio.

Your best bet is this thing. http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-WMA1000.../dp/B00B52LLJ6

Far cheaper than any good aftermarket streaming options or combox retrofit, and works exactly like a wireless Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #233
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Hey guys, quick question. I seem to have all the pre wiring in my car. So I ordered the BT antenna and should be coming in tomorrow. However, I wanted to get the coding done before I do the install since I have a chance to. Question is, if I get the coding done, what do I lose? from my original options, Will VC still work? 6fl still work? Just BT option will appear but not be able to use?

I have all the options as the OP.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #234
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
Hey guys, quick question. I seem to have all the pre wiring in my car. So I ordered the BT antenna and should be coming in tomorrow. However, I wanted to get the coding done before I do the install since I have a chance to. Question is, if I get the coding done, what do I lose? from my original options, Will VC still work? 6fl still work? Just BT option will appear but not be able to use?

I have all the options as the OP.
If you're prewired and the only thing you're missing is the BT antenna, you won't lose anything, everything should work, and in fact, even without the antenna you should still be able to pair your phone and make calls (but quality and reliability of the BT connection to the phone may suffer noticeably - probably best to put your phone in the center of the back seat to test).

If you've already got VC, there IS a chance you need to repin the mic from the CIC to the MULF, which is done in the junction box behind the glovebox (I know nothing more about this).
      06-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #235
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're prewired and the only thing you're missing is the BT antenna, you won't lose anything, everything should work, and in fact, even without the antenna you should still be able to pair your phone and make calls (but quality and reliability of the BT connection to the phone may suffer noticeably - probably best to put your phone in the center of the back seat to test).

If you've already got VC, there IS a chance you need to repin the mic from the CIC to the MULF, which is done in the junction box behind the glovebox (I know nothing more about this).
Thanks man. But now I'm even more confused. So I have mulf2. VC and phone prep. Haven't checked yet in the trunk for antenna wire (But i'm pretty sure I have it). Do I still need to repin the stuff in the mulf side? Or just plug in antenna? And possibly the rewire by fusebox.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #236
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So I actually attempted to do the coding myself and just try and see if I can set everything up and get it going. I actually got it done. However, the menu and pairing option shows up on idrive but when I scan on my phone, it doesn't show up. I guess I need that antenna. I'll know tomorrow when it comes in. If the menu shows up, that means the coding is done right correct? And all I need to do is install antenna and move some wires around, etc?

Edit: I just found out that the mic doesn't work when I try voice command. I guess I do have to rewire the mic behind the fusebox?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #237
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So I actually attempted to do the coding myself and just try and see if I can set everything up and get it going. I actually got it done. However, the menu and pairing option shows up on idrive but when I scan on my phone, it doesn't show up. I guess I need that antenna. I'll know tomorrow when it comes in. If the menu shows up, that means the coding is done right correct? And all I need to do is install antenna and move some wires around, etc?

Edit: I just found out that the mic doesn't work when I try voice command. I guess I do have to rewire the mic behind the fusebox?
Yes, probably. Either that or run a Mic cable. I've only ever done the latter.
      06-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #238
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok guys, Just just finished the the BT retrofit in my car and everything is working great! Big thanks to Lazd for this DIY! For those with e93's the wiring is a bit different so thought I'd share.

Big Thanks to Joe aka jdj for helping me get this finished. Really appreciated it!

So first off, I have all the same options as Lazd. In the e93, the wires you need from the tcu (white) is yellow (slot 1), black (slot 19) and BROWN (slot 21). You won't see the clear wire as suggested from the original diy. Remove those and insert into same slots of the ulf.

Next is switching the microphone wires in the front. The white connector for the microphone wire is NOT located next to the fusebox behind the glovebox. It is located behind the radio tucked away to the left. (Credit to jdj for figuring this out).

Remove the radio. This is real easy. Pull out heater control (it just pulls out), pull out radio trim (pulls out as well), then the radio is exposed. It's held down by 4 screws (2 on each side). Unplug all the connectors from the radio (black harness, blue antenna wire, video cable, and I believe there were 2 other small ones...can't remember). Once you pull out the radio, locate the white connectors tucked away down and to the left (next to the side wall where the radio is housed). It looks exactly like the picture lazd has up. It's really tucked in there and tied down. I couldn't even see it. I had to feel for it and then disconnect the male end.

Once you disconnect the male part of the white connector, you'll see yellow wire (slot 1), black wire (slot 2), gray wire (slot 3), black and white wire (slot 4), brown and black wire (slot 5), slot 6 & 7 empty, green wire (slot 8), yellow and black wire (slot 9), gray wire (slot 10).

The slot 1,2,3 is sheathed together and slot 8,9,10 is sheathed together. I removed those 6 wires and switched the places (1,2,3 into 8,9,10 respectively and 8,9,10 into 1,2,3 slot). I'm assuming one group is for VC and the other is for BT.

Plug everything back in, code it and you're done!

Keep in mind that I had VC and already had a mic. If you don't have vc and need to install the mic, the mic goes into the top of the steering wheel column. Plug in the connector that's not used, and when you go to rewire the white connector in the radio housing, you should only see 3 wires. (yellow, black and brown). See how the wiring in connected on the female side and just repin the male connector so the colors line up with the female. (This is how Lazd said he did his)

One trick I suggest since it's difficult to get that female connector out to see how it's wired, pull back as much of the black fabric tape holding it in place so that the wires connected to the female side are exposed. Stick your phone into the radio housing and take a picture (position the female connector as necessary to get a good visual).

No need to add a set of wires and route all the way back to the trunk.

Hope this is understandable and helps the e93'ers that were stuck like I was.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #239
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No need to add a set of wires and route all the way back to the trunk.
Only if your car is prewired! Though it's good to know that's the case if you are.
      06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #240
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Only if your car is prewired! Though it's good to know that's the case if you are.
Oh yea. forgot to mention that

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:41 AM   #241
barton37
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi 6MT

Hey guys,

My first post here but I have been following this thread for a very long time. I was able to successfully code my car (2010 335xi 6MT) and install the BT antenna. Phone pairs perfectly but I am not able to respond to people when they call me.

My car is not prewired but does have a microphone for Voice Control. I will need to run a new wire from the MULF2 in the trunk to the microphone. Any suggestions on what type of wire I should use and what will be the easiest thing to tuck into the headliner/pillars?

I found this: http://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Mul...yyyzimZ1z0t1rp but any other recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also what type of connectors would I need to attach to the ends of the cable?

I really appreciate all the hard work and time you guys have put into researching this. I am so close to having OEM BT that it hurts!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #242
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

Quote:

Next is switching the microphone wires in the front. The white connector for the microphone wire is NOT located next to the fusebox behind the glovebox. It is located behind the radio tucked away to the left. (Credit to jdj for figuring this out).

Remove the radio. This is real easy. Pull out heater control (it just pulls out), pull out radio trim (pulls out as well), then the radio is exposed. It's held down by 4 screws (2 on each side). Unplug all the connectors from the radio (black harness, blue antenna wire, video cable, and I believe there were 2 other small ones...can't remember). Once you pull out the radio, locate the white connectors tucked away down and to the left (next to the side wall where the radio is housed). It looks exactly like the picture lazd has up. It's really tucked in there and tied down. I couldn't even see it. I had to feel for it and then disconnect the male end.

Once you disconnect the male part of the white connector, you'll see yellow wire (slot 1), black wire (slot 2), gray wire (slot 3), black and white wire (slot 4), brown and black wire (slot 5), slot 6 & 7 empty, green wire (slot 8), yellow and black wire (slot 9), gray wire (slot 10).

The slot 1,2,3 is sheathed together and slot 8,9,10 is sheathed together. I removed those 6 wires and switched the places (1,2,3 into 8,9,10 respectively and 8,9,10 into 1,2,3 slot). I'm assuming one group is for VC and the other is for BT.
I'm actually going to try this on my 2006 E91. I also looked behind my glove box and found the white connector, and has the same wire colours as you mention here. I didn't notice one behind my radio when doing my cic retrofit. I'll try re-pinning that plug with your order provided above and keep you posted. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to completing my bluetooth retrofit and getting my voice control working again !
2009 CIC Retrofit + Combox
6NR, 6NF, snap-in retrofit
Appreciate 0