E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Euro box or OEM Performance Intake

12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

Euro box or OEM Performance Intake

Before you guys complain about how you seen this thread a million times, this question hasn't necessarily been answered... So with that being said, the euro box is around 400 bucks while the PI is floating around 700 bucks. So obviously quite a large gap in the money aspect but when it truly comes down to performance and such are there any real answers? I'm stuck in a pickle and need to pick one of these soon before I schedule my tune so please if anyone has some answers please fill me in and please don't try and tell me how much cooler the PI is because of the real carbon fiber lol. I would also rather keep the car more OEM just so it would make it easier to sell in the future... And it would be kinda nice to say that I have the PE and PI
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Save your money, neither intake will get you any power. Get the tune - intake/exhaust makes no difference. 3 stage manifold is the only mod that requires a retune.
      12-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy
Save your money, neither intake will get you any power. Get the tune - intake/exhaust makes no difference. 3 stage manifold is the only mod that requires a retune.
Hmmm I've heard that they help in the lower end power and when you get a tune with one of these intakes there is quite a noticeable gain. But thanks for your 2 cents Hooy I appreciate it, I see you quite often around here and it's nice to talk to someone that seems pretty reliable
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

not sure about euro box, but PI does alter the engine tone a bit, with PE its symphony. price on new one is a bit high, used one will be perfect. also PI is good if you are still under warranty.
      12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeg28 View Post
Hmmm I've heard that they help in the lower end power and when you get a tune with one of these intakes there is quite a noticeable gain. But thanks for your 2 cents Hooy I appreciate it, I see you quite often around here and it's nice to talk to someone that seems pretty reliable
You're welcome Teeeg. Your dollar is best spent on an exhaust purely for sound, a tune for refinement, and an intake manifold for actual power.

After that, coilover suspension is your best bang for buck. Covers both handling and cosmetics in a profound way. Switching out the RFT tires when they wear down to a decent summer non-rft is also a massive investment in comfort and cost of ownership. If you decide to get serious with your car, the possibilities are endless... cosmetically.

The most you can do power performance wise:
1. catless headers, but there are no reputable ones. Also too loud with an exhaust.
2. 3 stage manifold
3. LSD with different gears
4. Weight reduction
      12-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeg28 View Post
You're welcome Teeeg. Your dollar is best spent on an exhaust purely for sound, a tune for refinement, and an intake manifold for actual power.

After that, coilover suspension is your best bang for buck. Covers both handling and cosmetics in a profound way. Switching out the RFT tires when they wear down to a decent summer non-rft is also a massive investment in comfort and cost of ownership. If you decide to get serious with your car, the possibilities are endless... cosmetically.

The most you can do power performance wise:
1. catless headers, but there are no reputable ones. Also too loud with an exhaust.
2. 3 stage manifold
3. LSD with different gears
4. Weight reduction

Thanks I will be sure to look into all those mods in the future!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I had the same decision back when - decided on the Euro over PI for the following reasons (these would be relative to the NA version):

Euro

Pros:
  • PnP system installation - re-uses factory upper snorkel
  • Filter access is top loading - simply remove a couple screws, take off top, replace filter, replace top - no need to remove entire airbox & disassemble as with PI.
  • Uses round style filter with greater filter surface area vs PI flat style
  • No additional secondary carbon filter in airbox as with PI
  • Warranty is not voided as it is an OEM BMW part
  • Carbon Fiber lid cover available aftermarket from Carbon8 if you want the CF look
  • Increased intake sound (if you're in to that)
  • Feel slightly better throttle response (although no dyno results to prove)
  • Cheaper @ $400 than PI @ $700+ (I only paid $75 shipping charges for mine as I did an even swap for my factory airbox with a member in Singapore who needed the back half for his PI install)
Cons:
  • None that I have found

PI

Pros:
  • PnP system installation
  • It has slightly larger inlet size where connects to upper snorkel with corresponding larger outlet upper snorkel
  • Has secondary air inlet from rear of box to windshield cowl area (don't know how effective this is as it is relatively small)
  • Warranty is not voided as it is OEM BMW part
  • Carbon Fiber lid + upper snorkel
Cons:
  • Re-uses factory airbox back half - so secondary carbon filter will still be intact & would have to be Dremeled out if you want it gone
  • Since it only replaces front half of your factory airbox (you retain the factory rear half) - to change filter you would need to completely remove the airbox as before
  • Uses factory flat style filter with less filter surface area than Euro round style
  • More $$ than Euro

For me, the deal breakers on buying the Euro over PI was the ease of filter change, increased filtration area, & of course the cost of the Euro vs the PI...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Do the euro mod to your stock box, charcol delete and call it a day.

if you still have money left over and want HP get the AA tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6
I had the same decision back when - decided on the Euro over PI for the following reasons (these would be relative to the NA version):

Euro

Pros:
  • PnP system installation - re-uses factory upper snorkel
  • Filter access is top loading - simply remove a couple screws, take off top, replace filter, replace top - no need to remove entire airbox & disassemble as with PI.
  • Uses round style filter with greater filter surface area vs PI flat style
  • No additional secondary carbon filter in airbox as with PI
  • Warranty is not voided as it is an OEM BMW part
  • Carbon Fiber lid cover available aftermarket from Carbon8 if you want the CF look
  • Feel slightly better throttle response (although no dyno results to prove)
  • Cheaper @ $400 than PI @ $700+ (I only paid $75 shipping charges for mine as I did an even swap for my factory airbox with a member in Singapore who needed the back half for his PI install)
Cons:
  • None that I have found

PI

Pros:
  • PnP system installation
  • It has slightly larger inlet size where connects to upper snorkel with corresponding larger outlet upper snorkel
  • Has secondary air inlet from rear of box to windshield cowl area (don't know how effective this is as it is relatively small)
  • Warranty is not voided as it is OEM BMW part
  • Carbon Fiber lid + upper snorkel
Cons:
  • Re-uses factory airbox back half - so secondary carbon filter will still be intact & would have to be Dremeled out if you want it gone
  • Since it only replaces front half of your factory airbox (you retain the factory rear half) - to change filter you would need to completely remove the airbox as before
  • Uses factory flat style filter with less filter surface area than Euro round style
  • More $$ than Euro

For me, the deal breakers on buying the Euro over PI was the ease of filter change, increased filtration area, & of course the cost of the Euro vs the PI...
Damn .. Well I pretty much think you just sold me on the euro box thanks !
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival
Do the euro mod to your stock box, charcol delete and call it a day.

if you still have money left over and want HP get the AA tune.
My plan is to get an AA tune after I get a new intake and hopefully a manifold
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
[*]Carbon Fiber lid cover available aftermarket from Carbon8 if you want the CF look
Can you link us to this?

///

Euro vs PI, I would say Euro with the Euro performance or K&N euro round filter or AFE round filter.
PI can be replicated with K&N/AFE filter and cutting out a hole in the USA box to get more air since you don't get a larger snorkel
Euro can be modded with a hole that mimics the Simota and GruppeM intake(both claimed 10 hp increase)

Alternatively, a charcoal delete, K&N or AFE filter, and a hole in the USA box can give you 80% of the benefits for under $100. I mention AFE because its frame is more rigid than K&N and that may matter with a charcoal delete

Full disclosure: I have yet to change my airbox, but I stand by 3stage manifold even without a tune and removal of Secondary cats

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 12-05-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Can you link us to this?
Sold by E92-Lighting (forum sponsor) when I bought mine it was $160 shipped. It comes with a cover for the airbox and the upper snorkel - I didn't use the snorkel cover as I already had one that was wrapped in CF and cleared.

http://www.e92-lighting.com/products...52-297-22.html

Also, if you want to read a good thread showing/explaining the differences between Euro & PI:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...r+airbox+cover

You need to go thru entire thread to view the various pics...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0