E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > thoughts: 10W HPB angel eyes installed

02-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyi3lding View Post
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted many replies; really hard to find time to work on my car, and work is keeping me swamped...

brakeboost has pretty much summarized all of the issues; reinstalling the cover (the cup one, that covers just the angel eye bulb) isn't fitting because this kit has some extra doo-dads. HPB admits to not being able to test these before selling (which, as a guy that works in product design/development, I am not impressed with).

I am coming up with some solutions, and will post them asap

thanks for your patience!
Rollingstone is correct, they simply did not have an e90 available to them to test prior to this shipment.

We are the test car for 95% of what HPB puts out but these do not fit my car as I have an E92.

We were part of the testing for all of what HPB is popular for these days like their LED Kit and exterior turn signal options.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Rollingstone is correct, they simply did not have an e90 available to them to test prior to this shipment.

We are the test car for 95% of what HPB puts out but these do not fit my car as I have an E92.

We were part of the testing for all of what HPB is popular for these days like their LED Kit and exterior turn signal options.
So they didn't fit your E92 and they clearly don't fit the OP's E90. Did they test it on anything or just had some bulbs manufactured and said "Yep, these will do!"? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
So they didn't fit your E92 and they clearly don't fit the OP's E90. Did they test it on anything or just had some bulbs manufactured and said "Yep, these will do!"? lol
Stimpy

The 10watt cree AE are made for E90 Pre Lci models which I believe is h7.

My car is a 09 E92 and the angel eye is an h8.

I simply cant test a bulb that doesnt fit my model.... so of course they dont fit.

The bulbs I have tested fit my car and we do this out of good faith for the community, for free.

Please dont spread erroneous rumors.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Let's just have some patience to see if it is a fixable solution. I'm sure something will be done to correct the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
unyi3lding
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Update

okay, hope you guys we're holding your breath all the way from the weekend. Finally got some time to take some pictures and do some writing

As mentioned before, the angel eye cover on the headlight assembly does not fit over these bulbs. Here's why:

First off, picture below is the assembly of these (10W) lights. As you can see, there is an extra enclosure behind the bulb that houses what I'm assuming is circuitry.

When we line up the cup that covers the angel eye bulb next to the bulb and this enclosure, we can see that it is too short to accommodate the two of them in the same space.

The back of the bulb heat sink is bored out to a diameter where the circuit module could fit inside, but it's still too long to fit inside the cup. Also, the idea of stuffing the circuits and wires in there makes me really nervous; the lights get quite warm quickly, and stuffing all of that inside can cause heat buildup as well as damage the circuits and pretty thin wires.

The cylinder enclosure is also too long to fit sideways inside the cup (even at its widest point, the open end).

Possible Workarounds:
At this point, I have put together some ideas of how to overcome this issue. However, I have not tested any of these, and need to put up this disclaimer language: I cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do to your car

The only way I see to replace the cover on the AE area would be to relocate the circuit module to sit outside of the cup, and cut a notch for the wire to pass through to the outside. This cut would have to extend past the lip, since the gasket sits sub-flush with the rest of the body of the headlight housing. (see red box+cross hatching region indicating cutout)

The wires here do offer some flexibility here; if you're really short on length, it might be OK to open up the connector and extend it with another piece. (Not sure how advisable this is; anyone with more wiring experience care to speak on this?)

It's important to note that the cylinder enclosure is not sealed. The hole where the wires pass through are large, and would easily let in dust/moisture. Thus, I can't say I am 100% confident about this "workaround".
------------------------------------

So, all in all, a pretty big hurdle to overcome. IMHO, it's very risky driving around without the cover on, especially if you live in a very dusty/humid/rainy environment. (kindof a no-brainer) Running with the ugly stock halogens would be safer.

I've talked to HPB, and I have some 6W bulbs on their way; they do not have this extra appendage hooked up to the bulb and should fit the cover on without any issue. I will see if I can get some comparison (10W vs 6W) photos up when they arrive.

Let me know if there are any questions about my explanations; it's always a bit hard to interpret things when the physical objects aren't in your hands

----------
Update 2/9/2012
HPB has informed me that they are currently in the redesign phase on the LED controller so it can fit inside the housing. I look forward to seeing and trying out the new versions

Last edited by unyi3lding; 02-09-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
Kalimanjb
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyi3lding
okay, hope you guys we're holding your breath all the way from the weekend. Finally got some time to take some pictures and do some writing

As mentioned before, the angel eye cover on the headlight assembly does not fit over these bulbs. Here's why:

First off, picture below is the assembly of these (10W) lights. As you can see, there is an extra enclosure behind the bulb that houses what I'm assuming is circuitry.

When we line up the cup that covers the angel eye bulb next to the bulb and this enclosure, we can see that it is too short to accommodate the two of them in the same space.

The back of the bulb heat sink is bored out to a diameter where the circuit module could fit inside, but it's still too long to fit inside the cup. Also, the idea of stuffing the circuits and wires in there makes me really nervous; the lights get quite warm quickly, and stuffing all of that inside can cause heat buildup as well as damage the circuits and pretty thin wires.

The cylinder enclosure is also too long to fit sideways inside the cup (even at its widest point, the open end).

Possible Workarounds:
At this point, I have put together some ideas of how to overcome this issue. However, I have not tested any of these, and need to put up this disclaimer language: I cannot be held responsible for what you decide to do to your car

The only way I see to replace the cover on the AE area would be to relocate the circuit module to sit outside of the cup, and cut a notch for the wire to pass through to the outside. This cut would have to extend past the lip, since the gasket sits sub-flush with the rest of the body of the headlight housing. (see red box+cross hatching region indicating cutout)

The wires here do offer some flexibility here; if you're really short on length, it might be OK to open up the connector and extend it with another piece. (Not sure how advisable this is; anyone with more wiring experience care to speak on this?)

It's important to note that the cylinder enclosure is not sealed. The hole where the wires pass through are large, and would easily let in dust/moisture. Thus, I can't say I am 100% confident about this "workaround".

So, all in all, a pretty big hurdle to overcome. IMHO, it's very risky driving around without the cover on, especially if you live in a very dusty/humid/rainy environment. (kindof a no-brainer) Running with the ugly stock halogens would be safer.

I've talked to HPB, and I have some 6W bulbs on their way; they do not have this extra appendage hooked up to the bulb and should fit the cover on without any issue. I will see if I can get some comparison (10W vs 6W) photos up when they arrive.

Let me know if there are any questions about my explanations; it's always a bit hard to interpret things when the physical objects aren't in your hands
Very nice info thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyi3lding View Post
Possible Workarounds:

Thank you for posting this. Lets say you cut a slot to feed the wires; Have you thought of simply adding a generic rubber grommet so you can leave the unit outside of the angel eye box? In theory, it should all fit, and not allow for any debris to enter the area.

As you know your vehicle comes standard with many rubber grommets to protect from debris entering and allow for wiring to pass through.

Right now that seems like a feasible solution for those that want to stay with that kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #30
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

And this is a prime example of a vendor being awesome. A problem was brought to their attention that they could not have foreseen, and now they're working to fix it, while keeping the retailer-customer channel open to alleviate concerns. Another A+ for HPB in my book

It's things like this that keep me coming back to them, and not to side-track this thread too far, but I'm just about to place my order for the 10W h8 angel eyes, and I'll do another one of my OCD reviews once I get them :
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
brakeboost
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

They have discontinued the 10watts and I dint understand how no one can see that the problem began when the item was not test fitted... AT ALL. Would you sell someone a pen with no ink and say that it writes? They are resolving the issue by replacing my 10watts and refunding the difference in price ad also being understanding of the whole matter, but it still doesn't change the problem at hand and that I've now removed and reinstalled the item several times now.

Don't sell until you find someone to let you test something on their car. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Looks like they sell a model for the E92. Has anyone tried these? I'm considering giving them a shot, I'll have to see what their return policy is.
      02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Looks like they sell a model for the E92. Has anyone tried these? I'm considering giving them a shot, I'll have to see what their return policy is.
I'm about to pull the trigger on those. And HPB has a very liberal return policy, note that a previous poster got his 10W's exchanged for the 6W's.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #34
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
And this is a prime example of a vendor being awesome. A problem was brought to their attention that they could not have foreseen, and now they're working to fix it, while keeping the retailer-customer channel open to alleviate concerns. Another A+ for HPB in my book

It's things like this that keep me coming back to them, and not to side-track this thread too far, but I'm just about to place my order for the 10W h8 angel eyes, and I'll do another one of my OCD reviews once I get them :
I dont want people to confuse my help with answering for HPB. I'm answering on my own merit to help people. Just for the record. I dont sell these lights.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 02-10-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

There is some confusion here that I think needs to be cleared up. I know Top Gear Solutions does not sell these lights they are simply in here to help people as he just said. Also I think people are confusing HPB for being a manufacturer of these lights. They did not manufacturer these lights which means the manufacturer is at fault for not mentioning to HPB any obstacle a customer would run into. These same lights are sold elsewhere and honestly I would fear anyone that has purchased from a different vendor as I know their customer service can't compete with HPB's.
It seems like a simple fix of just cutting a slot and adding a grommet. Honestly, I've ran into much larger obstacles in my modding career so this is really nothing to cry about. Especially since HPB appears to be willing to remedy the situation and not run away like most vendors would. I think most people should be thankful of stellar customer service, understanding, and overall fairness. They do fit, they just needed a custom tweak. I ordered an exhaust for my other car about a year ago and the fitment was so poor I had to have a shop cut and weld a section to get it fit. The place i bought it from said "yea that happens sometimes". No refund, no exchange, nothing. So trust me this hiccup is nothing. After that I also learned to research products more thoroughly before purchasing. Anyone that is going to buy something fresh to the market should understand in this industry there may be a obstacle to overcome even with extensive testing prior. Just like when new cars roll out the factory and they think they have everything nailed.... like our HPFP? lol

Last edited by E3r2E9r; 02-10-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #36
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on those. And HPB has a very liberal return policy, note that a previous poster got his 10W's exchanged for the 6W's.
Did you ever wind up ordering them? I'd bite the bullet and be the guinea pig, but I'm a bit tight on money for a bit (turns out Vegas is expensive, who'd've guessed?).

Hopefully quoting you will result in a notification you'll see. I'd PM you, but my PM option is gone and the admins don't see interested in responding to my thread in Site Questions...
      02-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
Did you ever wind up ordering them? I'd bite the bullet and be the guinea pig, but I'm a bit tight on money for a bit (turns out Vegas is expensive, who'd've guessed?).

Hopefully quoting you will result in a notification you'll see. I'd PM you, but my PM option is gone and the admins don't see interested in responding to my thread in Site Questions...
Yup! Got them in, just need to install tonight.

EDIT: well, to clarify, I got one in, but I have pretty big hands so I only got one side in last night, i might need to remove the airbox on the drivers side to get that side in. But let me tell you, for $80, I'm really impressed. They're shockingly even I must say! And so is my dad (as an M6 driver) who wouldn't be happy for something that didn't do the job right. He wants me to order a set for his car, as a stop-gap between halogen AE's and OSS lights.

Last edited by rollinstone157; 02-17-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

Quote:
cant wait to hear reviews and see some pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #39
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
cant wait to hear reviews and see some pics.
Haha you should see the way I do reviews...it's a bit OCD...but it drives me nuts when people take misleading pictures so...I try to eliminate that.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:

EDIT: well, to clarify, I got one in, but I have pretty big hands so I only got one side in last night, i might need to remove the airbox on the drivers side to get that side in. But let me tell you, for $80, I'm really impressed. They're shockingly even I must say! And so is my dad (as an M6 driver) who wouldn't be happy for something that didn't do the job right. He wants me to order a set for his car, as a stop-gap between halogen AE's and OSS lights.
Awesome. I'm gonna order a set quite soon to hold me off until I'm ready to drop the cash for Umnitza Orion LED rings and willing to drive to LightWerkz to have them installed.
      02-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #41
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
well, to clarify, I got one in, but I have pretty big hands so I only got one side in last night, i might need to remove the airbox on the drivers side to get that side in.
HaHa, isn't that the truth! That's quite a tight fit in there isn't it? I put City Vision LED's in mine last year and had to have my wife do the Passenger side for me!

Just ordered the 10W LEDs to see if they're any brighter so it will be an interesting comparison. HPB says they'll fit and work error free but they did say up front that I could return them if I they don't work. So we'll see!

Last edited by ChasVS; 02-20-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #42
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

On E90 isn't the passenger side easier than the driver side? correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

I'll be trying these tonight for the e92 models. Looks promising. Good feedback rollingstone.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #44
unyi3lding
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
it drives me nuts when people take misleading pictures so...I try to eliminate that.
rollinstone157, How does this post measure up to your standards....? :P

Just another update for everyone, I've completed the exchange with HPB and currently running with the 6W LEDs. They look decent (excellent for the price), but comparing the two you can notice a difference in light intensity. Difficult to capture with a camera, but here's my attempt

HDR:

and without HDR, (same setup; 10W on right, 6W on left)

So there you have it.. Huge difference? Not really. But I, for one, look forward to upgrading to the 10W v2.0 once the kinks have been worked out
Appreciate 0