E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Damned be that Pothole!

03-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Damned be that Pothole!

It so happens that while driving back from work, right on an exit onramp, a massive pothole presented itself. I swerved to the left in a last "ditch" effort to avoid it, alas, I failed. The right wheel smashed into that blessed lunar crater, sending shudders down the cars spine, and mine.
For a brief moment the car seemed to have taken it its stride, still soldering on; braving the horrible roads that the DC area subjects its tax-paying vehicles to.

But as is in so many cases of this nature- the sense of relief was soon gone. After driving for about 100 yards I realised that I now have to hold a steering about 5 degrees to the left to make it go right. The German drives on but there is a sense of a strange limp to it otherwise fine looking canter. As it stands not I am unsure of what has befallen my dear friend German, so here I am hoping some of you can perhaps shed some light on whats possibly gone on. I have made an appointment with the car doctors next week, but this worrying.

Feel free to chime in...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Feel free to chime in...
Are you drunk lol?

But yes, living in the NYC Metro area, I am very used to the shudders to which you refer. Likely needs an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Best case is the alignment was thrown off; if the shop you take the car to can align it to within factory recommended specs, it's fine. If not it's likely you bent a control arm or some other component. It's also possible when hitting that pothole that you damaged/bent the wheel, damaged the damper, bubbled a tire or a combination of the aforementioned. Have the car mechanically inspected for peace of mind.

If I lived with a lot of potholes, I'd be running some strong 17" stock wheels with nice big and soft tires that can take a beating. Tire sidewall and proper tire pressure is your #1 defense against bad roads (besides of course, avoiding the bad roads altogether which just isn't always possible on the east coast).
      03-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

oh well, so its a bent wheel!...I hate DC roads! What I dont understand is- when they block most of the traffic, for most of the day pretending to work. How is it that there are still so many potholes!?!

PS: I saw another poor motorist stop at the same place with his hazards on.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Something similar happened to me last week. I went over a bridge on the interstate and (practically) fell off a cliff on the other side lol. My front right wheel bearing messed up and the car was shaking and grinding over 45. I barely made it off the interstate and limped it home. I usually slow down on bridges because they are almost always uneven, but this one was particularly bad. I'm just glad it was fairly easy to fix and no bent wheels.
Appreciate 0