E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Fleet Management!!!! Help!

11-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93

Fleet Management!!!! Help!

so as the title reads, i am looking into setting up a small business outside of the uk involving a small fleet of vehicles.

now the problem i am having is the control over the knowledge of the position of vehicles at any given time. it seems that to counter this i will have to look in to an active tracker. the hinderances to this are

a. seeing as im just about to graduate, cash is as scare as the big bad wolf wanting a kiss from red riding hood.

b. internet acess is ok but the speed and reliability is a very bad.

my major concern is A. i do not want to spend a small fortune on the tracker service as i undoubtedly have other costs to look after. so if anyone with any experience has any ideas or possible solutions, i would be glad to hear them.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
My old man had a tracker style system fitted to all his vans. It logged what road, what speed they did down that road, how long it took them etc etc.

If they said they were stuck in traffic and couldnt make the delivery and then get Back to the office for 4pm and were gona head staright home its easy to take there word for it.

Check the tracker and the facker was in a layBy 20 miles from his home.
      11-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I am pretty sure there are pay as you go tracker options or options with a small upfront payment for the box, say £200 approx and then a monthly charge for usage.

In my experience Trackers are well worth the money and you recoup your expenditure very quickly with people being where they should be when they should be.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
My old man had a tracker style system fitted to all his vans. It logged what road, what speed they did down that road, how long it took them etc etc.

If they said they were stuck in traffic and couldnt make the delivery and then get Back to the office for 4pm and were gona head staright home its easy to take there word for it.

Check the tracker and the facker was in a layBy 20 miles from his home.

those are them passive trackers which can only be checked when the car has returned to the depot.

i was really interested in the ones that can show a position at any given time
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by q_jonblaze View Post
those are them passive trackers which can only be checked when the car has returned to the depot.

i was really interested in the ones that can show a position at any given time
Oh ok then. If you know what one he had Better than I do.
      11-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

There are plenty of live trackers where you access the info on the web, shows exactly where a vehicle is and all the details of a journey, very useful info for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
so as the title reads, i am looking into setting up a small business outside of the uk involving a small fleet of vehicles.

now the problem i am having is the control over the knowledge of the position of vehicles at any given time. it seems that to counter this i will have to look in to an active tracker. the hinderances to this are

a. seeing as im just about to graduate, cash is as scare as the big bad wolf wanting a kiss from red riding hood.

b. internet acess is ok but the speed and reliability is a very bad.

my major concern is A. i do not want to spend a small fortune on the tracker service as i undoubtedly have other costs to look after. so if anyone with any experience has any ideas or possible solutions, i would be glad to hear them.

thanks
I think you can set up a tracking service for mobile phones now. May be cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

tell me more NFS!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
tell me more NFS!
Don't know much about it I'm afraid, but there are companies on the net who can track mobile phone locations via GSM (you have to register the phone in advance).

I wondered if the google Latitude thing would do what you need:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/latitude/intro.html

I think you just need a GPS powered phone (e.g. blackberry).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I think you can set up a tracking service for mobile phones now. May be cheaper?
Absolutly spot on NFS, I work for the Environmental agency, And 100% know we are tracked in our vechicles and also by Vodafone mobile working alone system ,

I know the working alone system we have to log on ,but i am sure there must be a system where you can be monitored .The failing here would be simples if the driver left the phone at home as many of my buddys do .

The van ones are awesome i have heard some lads being asked why they took the route they did and why was the parked here and there ,very big brother but for a employer a wonderfull aid in these trying times
Appreciate 0