E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake wear service light won't reset/false positive

10-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Sanderskog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Brake wear service light won't reset/false positive

I recently picked up a used 2006 BMW 330i. One thing I noticed when I bought it was it was a couple hundred miles past due for its oil service so I scheduled an appointment to have it done at a local independent BMW shop (I've gotten lazy… what can I say). Two days before the appointment the brake pad wear sensors popped when I was coming to a stop. I thought this was odd since I took a look at the brakes when I bought the car and the pads looked good. When I dropped the car off at the shop I mentioned the brake wear sensor and they said they would look into it. They also informed me that the service light that I saw sounded more like a Inspection light than an oil light.

Later that day I got a call from the Service Manger informing me he had good and bad news. The good news was I didn't need brakes. My fronts were new and the rears were 60+%. He said they did do the oil change as I had requested but they were not able to reset the service light nor were they able to reset the brake wear light. He mentioned that three of the control modules on the car were out of date and needed new code. He thought updating the code would allow them to clear both lights so I gave them the go ahead to do so. When I was headed to pick up the car that afternoon I got a call when I was five minutes away letting me know they were having trouble pushing the software upgrade and were working with BMW to determine the root cause so I wasn't able to pick the car up. The next day I called to check the status of the car and was told they successfully pushed the code and cleared the service error. However they were not able to clear the brake wear light. They did swap about the rear sensor (which is the one which threw the code) and tried to reset it again with no luck. At that point they were starting from scratch on the troubleshooting and I couldn't go without the car for a third day nor did I want to continue to rack of the bills since this is the first time they've seen this issue. I figured I'd be better off working with a dealer at this point.

Prior to the trip to the dealer I thought I'd post to see if anyone else has had a similar experience that would hopefully shed some light on the problem.

The shop in question is a reputable shop that I have used for years when I had my MINI.

(Crap... wrong forum. Could I ask a moderator to move this to the Service Forum).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
last time i had my rear breaks done they forgot to reset the computer so i tried and fail and had to drive back. the ca tried and failed also but when they put it on the machine they were successful. not sure why it didn't work for you