E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Air Filter Replacement - 325 (2.5litre)

04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
Staticians
Rep
Drives: 325i

The engine sound is guaranteed louder and noticeable. For $45 it was great investment. I mentioned "Performance" because it has better air flow than the stock air filter since performance depends on both the Gasoline and Air flow to push the engine....and the type of engine oil also plays a big role. I got mine from Streetsideauto.com and it was the lowest price around $45 and easy installation. The time of delivery was less than 2 days with no tax in NY. In the long run it's a Win-Win game because it's washable and reusable.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/air-...-bmw-325i-30l/

Last edited by Staticians; 04-22-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
docnarc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

K & N filters - Waste

You are delusional if you think that adding a K & N filter will give your car more power. Also, they will allow more dirt into your engine.

Really a terrible idea all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
rallyegolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI Wagon

Garage List
2006 325xit  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnarc View Post
You are delusional if you think that adding a K & N filter will give your car more power. Also, they will allow more dirt into your engine.

Really a terrible idea all the way around.
Can you provide a link to prove that more dirt gets into the motor? I am deciding what way to go and have never heard this.

EDIT: I found a great source that proves K&N does let more dirt in the motor, but it is also letting in more air flow, so its give and take. Stock filters seem to be the best for everyday people who want less dirt and don't care about the minute airflow differences.

Here is the link to the guy who tested the air filters.

Okay, I wanted to add a little to this for the drivers that like to save some money.

WIX Air Filter off Amazon for $19.00
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

BMW Filter from Dealer $42.00
View post on imgur.com

Both side by side....
View post on imgur.com

You be the judge.

Last edited by rallyegolf; 06-01-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #26
darkzero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2008 335i

Does anyone know where to buy the air filter with good prices. I have a 2006 325i. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Also read that K&N filters let through more particulates and that the filters are oiled, which raises concern about the health the MAF sensor.

If you run with a K&N filter you might want to clean your MAF with CRC or Gunk MAF cleaner every 25,000 and again when you clean and reoil the filter, if running a stock filter the advice is to clean it every time you change the filter.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/3297276

Last edited by Glim; 07-01-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
Onebb
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Wow, pretty involved to replace the air filter on a e90. Has anyone managed replacing one without taking out the entire housing?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #29
funnyface
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebb View Post
Wow, pretty involved to replace the air filter on a e90. Has anyone managed replacing one without taking out the entire housing?
No, you have to take out air box out because to pull it apart you need to loosen the torx screws and you can see those are set vertically.

You have to remove the air box on a lot of cars and this will probably only take you 15 minutes. The only real pain is unclipping the sensor and you can do that with a small screwdriver.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
phvxoui
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyface View Post
The only real pain is unclipping the sensor and you can do that with a small screwdriver.
hehe just took mine out used the flat head from the trunk.. *sighs* pushed to hard to break that tiny little piece.. oh well.. it is a pain to remove the whole box but my main problem was the hose the one by the sensor i couldnt get it off so went to the other one.. *first time so light here and there issues* but not too hard

off the side question..
if you are standing in front of the car looking at the filter to the right side just a little above the light on the fender there is a cable or a plug.. round any one know what that is for?..

(which model is with the pull out drawer and the phone such like it says in the manual??) or even a power outlet..)

06 325I
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
sanju
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

No Need to remove the Mass Air Flow sensor or removing the whole filter box,

1. loosen the round metal clip using a long screw driver, once loose push it towards back (towards windshield) on the rubber air tube.

2. Remove 2 large bolts on right side holding the box to driver side fender.

3. Wriggle out the tube of box going into suction tube, there is little place to do that, but it will come out if you push back the tube with clip a little bit towards windshield.

4. With sensor still attached with the same screw driver carefully remove the box intake from the suction tube which goes to front of Car.

5. No worries about box hanging with sensor as it has enought length & not much place for box to drop. There will not be any stress on wire.

6. while holding the box, turn it around, unscrew all screw, box will by itself start opening.

7. The Filter side will come loose, the side with MAS sensor will stay connected, it has another charcoal containing filter & filter cannot be removed. Remove orange lined old filter, put new one & just screw the filter side back while turning the box.

8. Put the metal clip side first into the rubber tubing, when set put the other end into front suction tube, a little wriggling is required as the botton of Air box has a hole which sits on a rubber studd. Tighten the metal clip.

9. Once set, just put the 2 large bolts back. Done !

will work for 2006 325i, USA

Last edited by sanju; 05-10-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
sanju
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Change the Air filter, just found that mine was never changed during free service by BMW dealerships, PHX & TUS both, Cheats ! Filter has a date stamp 05.04.05 Made in Austria LX1478. I thought my last change was during free service in in 2009.

Put a New FRAM CA10464 from Amazon, for $ 15.68. Made in Mexico by Honeywell looks better then original, perfect fit 2006 325i, has wire mesh on intake side. Old Original BMW did not have a wire mesh.

Learnt a good lesson one more time, take matters in your hands with your Cars, information is Empowering.

No way to find out if they have been changing the Engine oil & filter or not. Probably never changed the wiper also.

Last edited by sanju; 05-12-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0