E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Runflat prices in Aus

04-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #23
alwaysblazin
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Bob Jane

i spoke to my dealer today, and he told me he had heard that Bob Jane T-Mart in Drummoyne fix RFT punctures (small ones, like nails etc...not big blow outs, or damage to sidewalls). he didn't give me an estimate cost but i guess that depends on the damage.

so if anyone in NSW with RFT's is unlucky enuff to get a puncture and its not too bad, you might wanna check this out - 'give them a call first' apparently.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #24
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
so in other words, it is exactly the same procedure for rf's as regular tyres?
      04-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
Scott1624
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

I just traded my HSV Senator is for a new 320D, the HSV tyres cost around $650 a corner and only last between 20000 - 25000 km's, worse if you give them a hard time.
Si did the math, i do about 40 000 a year so thats 2 x sets of new 19" low profile Perilli tyres at a cost of $5200 a year on tyres yes you can buy cheaper).
The Run Flats i would be hoping to get at least 40 000 - 50 000 km's out of them, so you can see just on tyres that is a signidficant saving.

Then there was the Fuel 320D - 6.5 L, against the Senator - 14, Rego, Insurance, all in all i will be saving on around $140.00 a week, then there is depreciation on top of that, yep i think i made the right decision.

I agree that the run flats do ride a bit harder, but still ride better then the HSV.

Cheers
Scotty
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #26
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysblazin View Post
i spoke to my dealer today, and he told me he had heard that Bob Jane T-Mart in Drummoyne fix RFT punctures (small ones, like nails etc...not big blow outs, or damage to sidewalls). he didn't give me an estimate cost but i guess that depends on the damage.

so if anyone in NSW with RFT's is unlucky enuff to get a puncture and its not too bad, you might wanna check this out - 'give them a call first' apparently.

The reasons for not repairing a runflat seem like common sense to me. If you think about how a runflat works, then any amount of loading of a tyre sidewall with 500+ Kgs of weight will not be good for your sidewall (heat from friction, road wear etc). Obviously, without being able to analyse the sidewall in great detail (including for internal damage), it's not going to be possible to guarantee whether the sidewall will hold up to normal use or whether it has been compromised. On a normal flat tyre, it's easy to see a crease where it has been driven on.

Saying that, it is also common sense that if you've driven 50Kms at 80Kph on an RFT to get to the nearest tyre dealer, repairing the puncture may not be the smartest thing to do. On the other hand, if you get a puncture 1km from a tyre dealer and drive there at 10kph with your hazards on, then it would be reasonably safe to say that the tyre would be in reasonable condition to repair (depending on the nature of the puncture)

So, to me, it makes perfect sense that many tyre dealers won't repair an RFT - after all, most customers will just choose based on price ($25 vs $500), not safety. The ones that do repair an RFT are a bit mad, as they probably open themselves up for litigation.

As for RFTs vs non-RFTs, a tyre is a tyre really. The main benefits of RFTs are:

1) No loss of vehicle control when a puncture occurs at speed
2) Safety of not having to change a tyre at night (especially for women) at by the side of a busy road
3) No need to carry a spare tyre

However, to many enthusiasts, the pros of performance and cost outweigh the cons of safety and so they make the switch.

I think the only thing you can't do is mix RFTs and non-RFTs on the same axle.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #27
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I've still got a set of 4, 16" runflats sitting my garage, never been used will sell for $1000 to anyone interested.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #28
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
what was a 16" tyre off?
      05-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #29
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
what was a 16" tyre off?
Off my mates E90 320i, he bought it with 16"s and bought the optional 18"s in separate transaction (same day) to get the car under LCT, and hence has both sets, which means the 16"s are sitting in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #30
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

I have 19” RFTs on my 335i.

Back in January my “inflation pressure” warning came on and sure enough I had a small nail in my left rear tyre. The pressure had dropped from 37 psi to 32 psi. I left the nail there, pumped the tyre back up, and sure enough a few days later it leaked back down to 32 psi.

I took the car to Bridgestone, the maker of the tyre. The store manager said plugging the tyre would work without any dramas. However he said they had a directive not to repair runflats no matter what the circumstances. He gave me the cost of a replacement tyre… $800. I rang BMW who said they would look after me… $750.

There was no way I was going to pay that sort of money to replace a tyre with 2,500km on it. I went to my local servo and they happily plugged the tyre for $20 in 3 minutes. The tyre has been perfect ever since.

During the puncture period the tyre pressure of the punctured tyre never dropped below 30 psi. I know there may be some risk in plugging the tyre but to save around $730 for my domestic-type driving, I am happy take the risk. Besides, I plan to spend the saved $730 on drinks when we have our Sydney meet.

I have heard that Pirelli's new range of RFTs will be repairable.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #31
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post

Back in January my “inflation pressure” warning came on and sure enough I had a small nail in my left rear tyre. The pressure had dropped from 37 psi to 32 psi. I left the nail there, pumped the tyre back up, and sure enough a few days later it leaked back down to 32 psi.

I took the car to Bridgestone, the maker of the tyre. The store manager said plugging the tyre would work without any dramas. However he said they had a directive not to repair runflats no matter what the circumstances. He gave me the cost of a replacement tyre… $800. I rang BMW who said they would look after me… $750.

There was no way I was going to pay that sort of money to replace a tyre with 2,500km on it. I went to my local servo and they happily plugged the tyre for $20 in 3 minutes. The tyre has been perfect ever since.

During the puncture period the tyre pressure of the punctured tyre never dropped below 30 psi. I know there may be some risk in plugging the tyre but to save around $730 for my domestic-type driving, I am happy take the risk. Besides, I plan to spend the saved $730 on drinks when we have our Sydney meet.

Cheers.
Hahaha nice one! That's a whole lotta drinking!
My mate had a similar issue with his E60 525i, he ended up cracking a shit at the dealer and told them that he can have whatever sort of tyres on his car he wants, so he ended up with 2 runflats at the back and 2 bridgestone s03's at the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #32
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post

Cheers.
Good work Capt!
I would have done the same. I got a quote for my 18" RFT for $580...and I have to wait a week to get it in.... so what... i drive ariound for a week to work and back untill the blooming thing arrives???

But yeah, touch wood, but if i ever get a puncture, i would repair it too... unless it has worn in and close to replacing anyhow.

BTW, on average, how many Km's a tyre last before replacing?
      05-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #33
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

My local bob jane said RFT can be repaired if it's a normal puncture as per can be repaired on a standard tyre - no difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #34
NeoJB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
My local bob jane said RFT can be repaired if it's a normal puncture as per can be repaired on a standard tyre - no difference.
It depends on the context of the puncture. As I mentioned before, a tyre is a tyre, so a puncture is a puncture - same to repair one on an RFT as on a non-RFT.

The risk in getting is repaired on an RFT depends on the usage of the RFT after the puncture. With a normal tyre, when you get a puncture, you tend not to drive far on the flat, and just stop at the side of the road.

So, if for example, you drive on an RFT for a fair distance you may compromise the tyre wall and so whilst repairing the puncture would get everything back to normal, you cannot guarantee that your sidewall won't fail.

Let's say your local tyre dealer fixes flat in an RFT then a week later the sidewall fails and you have a blowout...I'm sure there are cases where the car owner claims that the tyre place didn't go a good repair job even though it isn't their fault.

What is likely is that some tyre dealers are fixing "small" punctures because they expect that if you get a nail and only loose 5psi, that you haven't loaded the sidewall - in those situations I'd say you are pretty safe to get it repaired - it's more critical in the situations where you have a near flat and are loading the sidewall more.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #35
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post

BTW, on average, how many Km's a tyre last before replacing?
The way I drive, I'll be lucky to get 15,000km.

I would hope an average driver should get at least 35,000km. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #36
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJB View Post
It depends on the context of the puncture. As I mentioned before, a tyre is a tyre, so a puncture is a puncture - same to repair one on an RFT as on a non-RFT.

The risk in getting is repaired on an RFT depends on the usage of the RFT after the puncture. With a normal tyre, when you get a puncture, you tend not to drive far on the flat, and just stop at the side of the road.

So, if for example, you drive on an RFT for a fair distance you may compromise the tyre wall and so whilst repairing the puncture would get everything back to normal, you cannot guarantee that your sidewall won't fail.

Let's say your local tyre dealer fixes flat in an RFT then a week later the sidewall fails and you have a blowout...I'm sure there are cases where the car owner claims that the tyre place didn't go a good repair job even though it isn't their fault.

What is likely is that some tyre dealers are fixing "small" punctures because they expect that if you get a nail and only loose 5psi, that you haven't loaded the sidewall - in those situations I'd say you are pretty safe to get it repaired - it's more critical in the situations where you have a near flat and are loading the sidewall more.

Yes .... makes good sense. The issue boils down to the extent of damage to the side wall and only way you can tell this is by using xray equipment like they do when they retread airoplane tyres. I can see why some companies would have a directive not to repair RFT.

If I get 35,000 k's out of mine i'll be extremely happy and will just replace with whats on the car now. Assuming they cost $2000 to replace a set of 4 (17" 225 + 255's), this will mean the running cost is only $0.057 per kilometer. When you look at what your car is costing you on a kilometer basis (factoring in depreciation as well) this is chump change.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

Time for new tyres

Have now clocked over 33,000 klms on the e92 and the RFT's (18) need replacing.Front worn on outside edge and backs inside edge.
Any recommendations of a supplier in Sydney at the right price.?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:14 AM   #38
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Was JameB and NeoJB the same person? Banned?
      04-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #39
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I M-SPORT

Buy Tyres From America.

Have any of you members thought about buying tyres from the states with the oz dollar so strong it will be cheaper buying from there.
Have a look at CUSTOMWHEELSDIRECT.COM they have all the major brands and they send to Australia.ITS WORTH IT.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #40
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

Good Idea

I have bought boat parts from USA without any hassle so i will do some comparisons. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #41
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I M-SPORT

Richies Custom Auto

I purchased wheel and tyre package in 19s from richiescustomauto in the states and the wheels cost me $1500 tyres are Hankook k104 235-35 & 265-30 they only cost $636.95 no bullshit thats for 4 , shipping was $550 just tyres would be cheaper full tracking is given.
Im going to post some pics when i get the wheels there in customs at the moment but im going to Korea tonight so members have 2 wait around 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #42
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I have ditched my runflats, and it was the best thing I have ever done. It makes a HUGE difference. The car is much more refined, no longer tramlines, rides like a car of this calibre should and is heaps more fun to chuck around a bend or two.

There is no need to reprogram the computer, just reset the pressure sensor on the computer. I have had a slow leak with my standard tyres, and the computer reliably detected it, so there is no problems there.

I now have an M Mobility kit (aka very expensive can of goo, and a small compressor) in my boot, and have never felt worried about being stranded.

I would recommend replacing runflats with proper tyres to all.

I have Conti Sports Contact 2s on, would rather the Sports Premiums but couldn't get them when I needed my tyres changed, so had to put up with these, but trust me, you could have almost any old rubber on your tyres and still have a better time of it than with those runflats...

IMHO
      05-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #43
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
If your after the best tyre prices going around, go check out www.carbonblack.com.au you can put in the type of tyres your after, then all the tyre shops bid on your business, effectively undercutting each other until you've got a great deal. Best of all, It's free and easy as!
I recently discovered it when replacing my rear tyres, i went with the Dunlop SP Sport MAXX's to replace the K104's i previously had. I'd definitely reccomend checking it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:57 AM   #44
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
I have ditched my runflats, and it was the best thing I have ever done. It makes a HUGE difference. The car is much more refined, no longer tramlines, rides like a car of this calibre should and is heaps more fun to chuck around a bend or two.

There is no need to reprogram the computer, just reset the pressure sensor on the computer. I have had a slow leak with my standard tyres, and the computer reliably detected it, so there is no problems there.

I now have an M Mobility kit (aka very expensive can of goo, and a small compressor) in my boot, and have never felt worried about being stranded.

I would recommend replacing runflats with proper tyres to all.

I have Conti Sports Contact 2s on, would rather the Sports Premiums but couldn't get them when I needed my tyres changed, so had to put up with these, but trust me, you could have almost any old rubber on your tyres and still have a better time of it than with those runflats...

IMHO
Thanks for the feedback Jamie - always value your opinion. My tyres are getting close to the end of their life (I have about 33k on the clock) and I have been considering doing exactly what you have done re. normal tyres and the mobility kit. The noise from those RFTs in particular has been giving me the ****s.

You've just convinced me