E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Legal advice. Logo Design

01-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #23
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I am not sure if you would win or lose if you fought, however it comes down to who has a copyright and trademark on the design. The other important thing is you have to activity use and enforce your trademarks if you do not you may not have a defensive position. However, just because someone uses a name or a logo also does not mean they own it, may people never both to register.

I will tell you as the one person above did, do not copy or use any other larger corporations names or logos when doing business they will come after you at first they will be nice but if you ignore them they will sue you.
Main statement in bold. It's a small local company. I doubt they have any documents stating they with hold rights to that particular design. A lot of smaller local companies do not pursue copyrighting or trademarking because they are more worried about initial startup and gaining customer base, then putting it on the back burner.

For the most part, a lot of local companies use generic logo designs just so they can have more free time to focus on their business and everything else that goes with it.

Nationwide and international corporations is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Anyone who can't tell the difference between your logo and their's does not deserve to drive. Seriously, it's just dangerous having those people on the road.

It have been said before, but I must say it again cuz it's the cold hard fact:

Your logo looks orders of magnitude batter than their's.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Don't bother with a trademark attorney, you will spend far more than it's worth to you or them.

The decision to keep the logo or change it really only depends on the relationship you want to have with them. Unless 'Car Guys' is a national brand, it's unlikely they will pursue the issue in a legal forum.