E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Subwoofer issues & Tuning

03-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
itsgoco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 328i

Subwoofer issues & Tuning

Hey guys!

I have a question that hopefully some of you guys may be able to answer. I currently have Two 12" Alpine Type R's (Dual 4ohm voice coil) & a Alpine MRX-M100 amp. Sealed box in the trunk

I currently have it set up from the sub to the amp, bridged @ 4ohms. When I first had the subs installed in my car, the subwoofers would sound perfect, and hits the usual frequencies that I like.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my friend rewire, and tuck everything, so there aren't any exposed wires. That muffled the bass coming into the cabin, so he bridged both subs after. After, it hits fine, but I do have a slight problem.

After bridging, the subs would hit low frequencies perfectly, delivering very boomy basslines, and it sounds great in the car. When it came to higher frequencies, it practically doesn't exist unless the volume is turned up all of the way. And even then, it doesn't hit the way it should. Does anyone know what's wrong?

I have my gains set to NOM (Normal), subsonic at about 25Hz, Low Pass filter is set at 120. Bass EQ, doesn't make much different when I'm trying to have my subs hit midrange-higher frequencies. But currently, it's at +2db I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Set bass eq to 0 and Lpf around 50-60hz. You should have got the dual 2 ohm subs to get a 2 ohm load or an amp that is 1 ohm stable. The subs should be wired in parallel and the voice coils wired in series for a 4 ohm load.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
itsgoco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Set bass eq to 0 and Lpf around 50-60hz. You should have got the dual 2 ohm subs to get a 2 ohm load or an amp that is 1 ohm stable. The subs should be wired in parallel and the voice coils wired in series for a 4 ohm load.
I'll try that out! Thanks. I got the set up from a forum member here, so at the time I wasn't too familiar in regards too car audio, and the importance of impedance.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgoco View Post
I'll try that out! Thanks. I got the set up from a forum member here, so at the time I wasn't too familiar in regards too car audio, and the importance of impedance.
You could always upgrade the amp later if you decide you need more power. Here is my setup, I have an Audioque 2200d which does 2200 watts at 1 ohm. The box is prefabbed and I built the front baffle which attaches using neodymium magnets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0