E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > New To E90

09-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
GenerationX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi N51 SULEV

New To E90

Hey all, 2011 328xi N51 Sulev Auto 107k

Just picked up my e90 and looking forward to doing a full maintenance run on it. I looked at the engine and everything looks in great shape. There are service records online but I'd have to pay to see them. So, to be safe, I want to do all maintenance on it. i.e., oil, coolant, VCG/OFHG gaskets, brake/trans/PS flushes, serp belt, water pump, thermostat, aluminum coolant flange, spark plugs and I think that covers it from my research.
I'm not new to BMW. I've owned several E30s, one e46, and a 95 525i, but never owned an e90. It's a great ride. It could use a bit more power, but, I'll save that convo for another thread. The maintenance is pricey, but, I want to keep this car until I die. So, hopefully another 30-40 years, if I'm lucky. LOL
If anyone has any advice, suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Not sure what type of oil to use, since I live in upstate NY and it gets cold. I saw the BMW doctor state to only use 5w-40, but Nathan stated to only use 5w-30. Not sure which route to take.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 Sprt; 2019 X5 MSprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerationX View Post
Hey all, 2011 328xi N51 Sulev Auto 107k

Just picked up my e90 and looking forward to doing a full maintenance run on it. I looked at the engine and everything looks in great shape. There are service records online but I'd have to pay to see them. So, to be safe, I want to do all maintenance on it. i.e., oil, coolant, VCG/OFHG gaskets, brake/trans/PS flushes, serp belt, water pump, thermostat, aluminum coolant flange, spark plugs and I think that covers it from my research.
I'm not new to BMW. I've owned several E30s, one e46, and a 95 525i, but never owned an e90. It's a great ride. It could use a bit more power, but, I'll save that convo for another thread. The maintenance is pricey, but, I want to keep this car until I die. So, hopefully another 30-40 years, if I'm lucky. LOL
If anyone has any advice, suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Not sure what type of oil to use, since I live in upstate NY and it gets cold. I saw the BMW doctor state to only use 5w-40, but Nathan stated to only use 5w-30. Not sure which route to take.

Thanks in advance!
On the N51 SULEV you have an emissions related warranty to 15 years or 150k miles at the dealer. There are some stips, like you have to be in a SULEV state but if your valve cover is leaking that's usually covered. Some dealers are considerably easier to work with than others even though they get reimbursed by NA.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Hello fellow Gen Xer, welcome to MySpace/AOL/Napster/Nevermind/Blue Dress my friend! You literally have the bases covered! Oil pan gasket and engine mounts are all that are left! Eventually radiator and hoses as well. I'd say don't worry about water pump/stat until it starts throwing warning signs your way, but I also have AAA and don't mind getting it towed home. How much will be DIY vs. paying someone? That's literally what makes the difference with these cars IMO. They are FUN cars to work on and pretty easy for everything mentioned. Learn to manipulate ISTA and you'll really be on top of things. That has eluded me so far :-(

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 09-07-2022 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Hello fellow Gen Xer, welcome to MySpace/AOL/Napster/Nevermind/Blue Dress my friend! You literally have the bases covered! Oil pan gasket and shock mounts are all that are left! Eventually radiator and hoses as well. I'd say don't worry about water pump/stat until it starts throwing warning signs your way, but I also have AAA and don't mind getting it towed home. How much will be DIY vs. paying someone? That's literally what makes the difference with these cars IMO. They are FUN cars to work on and pretty easy for everything mentioned. Learn to manipulate ISTA and you'll really be on top of things. That has eluded me so far :-(
Thanks for the warm welcome and flashback! You left out TDK.. LOL Shock mounts? Hmmm. That reminds me of my E34. LOL I miss that car. I miss BMW. It's been over 5 years since I owned a BMW and I can tell you, it feels good to be back in one. Even my wife can see the glow in my face, but this time, I have all the tools to tackle any job the e90 will throw at me.
The reason why I want to do a complete overhaul is, I don't know how well the POs took care of the car. Although the bay looks great, nothing looks replaced, which concerns me at 107k. There's the belt (actually looks good), belt tensioner and coolant flange still look original. And yes, Still is not used at the end of a sentence!! LOL
I've had people approach me, asking for advice on purchasing a BMW and I always tell them, you either have to have the money to maintain the car or be able to do the maintenance yourself. And if you don't have either, don't bother buying a BMW.

I'll add the mounts and OPG to my list!
There's also WinKFP. Seems straight forward.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW516 View Post
On the N51 SULEV you have an emissions related warranty to 15 years or 150k miles at the dealer. There are some stips, like you have to be in a SULEV state but if your valve cover is leaking that's usually covered. Some dealers are considerably easier to work with than others even though they get reimbursed by NA.
While researching the E90, I did learn about the 15 year, 150k warranty. NY is a SULEV state, which is good to know. I wonder if the warranty covers the tranny or is it just emissions. Time for more research...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome and flashback! You left out TDK.. LOL Shock mounts? Hmmm. That reminds me of my E34. LOL I miss that car. I miss BMW. It's been over 5 years since I owned a BMW and I can tell you, it feels good to be back in one. Even my wife can see the glow in my face, but this time, I have all the tools to tackle any job the e90 will throw at me.
The reason why I want to do a complete overhaul is, I don't know how well the POs took care of the car. Although the bay looks great, nothing looks replaced, which concerns me at 107k. There's the belt (actually looks good), belt tensioner and coolant flange still look original. And yes, Still is not used at the end of a sentence!! LOL
I've had people approach me, asking for advice on purchasing a BMW and I always tell them, you either have to have the money to maintain the car or be able to do the maintenance yourself. And if you don't have either, don't bother buying a BMW.

I'll add the mounts and OPG to my list!
There's also WinKFP. Seems straight forward.

Thanks!
Engine mounts... D'oh! Also trans mounts while you're there!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW516 View Post
THIS!

I live in NY, and the SULEV warranty definitely applies to cars in NY.

One of our cars was a 2007 328i, and we had to fight to have the BMW dealership honor this 150k SULEV warranty. The dealership acted like they never heard of SULEV. Even then, I still think they didn't want to change the valve cover too (which should be part of the job).

OP should find a good indy shop to inspect the car first to see if anything pertaining to the SULEV warranty needs work; then if so, bring it to BMW. After that, I'd just focus on actual issues, and preventative maintenance.
      09-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #8
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
THIS!

I live in NY, and the SULEV warranty definitely applies to cars in NY.

One of our cars was a 2007 328i, and we had to fight to have the BMW dealership honor this 150k SULEV warranty. The dealership acted like they never heard of SULEV. Even then, I still think they didn't want to change the valve cover too (which should be part of the job).

OP should find a good indy shop to inspect the car first to see if anything pertaining to the SULEV warranty needs work; then if so, bring it to BMW. After that, I'd just focus on actual issues, and preventative maintenance.
I still need to find out what the warranty covers. I can't find specifics on that warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I still need to find out what the warranty covers. I can't find specifics on that warranty coverage.
Found it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TW51619.00
      09-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #10
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Found it.
Good. At least now you have some time, and breathing room in case there are any issues with these components.

Here's the page describing the SULEV warranty in more detail.

This is on page 51 in the manual here
      09-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Good. At least now you have some time, and breathing room in case there are any issues with these components.

Here's the page describing the SULEV warranty in more detail.

This is on page 51 in the manual here
Thank you very much! This helps a lot.
Appreciate 1
MrSteak82.50
      09-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #12
TheM3Chase
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

The SULEV warranty is a great one lol. N51s have fuel tank issues too. The pump has a hose that separates internally and supposedly cannot be repaired, so BMW will replace the entire fuel tank for free if you're within the SULEV

And yes! 5w-30 for N51/N52 is what I go with
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM3Chase View Post
The SULEV warranty is a great one lol. N51s have fuel tank issues too. The pump has a hose that separates internally and supposedly cannot be repaired, so BMW will replace the entire fuel tank for free if you're within the SULEV

And yes! 5w-30 for N51/N52 is what I go with
Thanks for the info. I found an oil leak, but can't seem to finds the source. I looked at the VCG, front and sides and they're dry, but can't see the rear of the VCG. I looked under and it could be possible it's the oil pan gasket, but still not sure. I don't know how to look behind the VCG to see if that's the source.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:45 AM   #14
TheM3Chase
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

So usually I try to crawl under and car and look at the back of the valve cover between the firewall and the exhaust manifold. I've been able to inspect my N52 and N54 motors like this previously. Sometimes the leak will get so bad that it'll leak onto the exhaust and start smoking too. If that's the case then it becomes super easy lol
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM3Chase View Post
So usually I try to crawl under and car and look at the back of the valve cover between the firewall and the exhaust manifold. I've been able to inspect my N52 and N54 motors like this previously. Sometimes the leak will get so bad that it'll leak onto the exhaust and start smoking too. If that's the case then it becomes super easy lol
LOL.. That happened to my e46. clouds of intermittent smoke. The manifold looks clean and dry. I'll try to look from under again, but that damn diff is in the way. I'll try to squeeze my camera up in there and hopefully get a pic. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
GenerationX
Registered
Rep

I'm praying it's the VCG. I'm planning to replace the VCG and OFHG this weekend. I researched replacing the OPG and I am not even going there..
Appreciate 0