E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Pay ticket or go to court?

10-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

Pay ticket or go to court?

Got a 15-19 over in Denver. Fine is $165 with no chance for point drop if I pay online. I think it's a little BS as I still had temp tags on, and I think he was clocking an AMG in front of me instead, and I was coming up to a red light so why would I be accelerating in a 30 mph zone? There are probably plenty of excuses to fight it with, but wonder if it is even worth it. Thoughts on what you would do if you were in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
It might end up being cheaper if you just pay the ticket and take a class to remove it from your record. (assuming you state allows you to)

But going to court you may just end up getting you court supervision?
      10-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
airshane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I was always told that Denver doesn't negotiate anything down and you're pretty much stuck; unless of course you're a police officer, or know someone.

Lucky I didn't get one today with the rate at which I passed through Douglas and El Paso counties. I felt like I was back on the autobahn, and this time in a car that could handle it. <sigh>

Good luck ... Friend of mine went to court and the local government thug didn't show so it was tossed out. Maybe that'll happen?
      10-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
AmazingAshton
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i Convertible

I've disputed every ticket I've ever got. Best practice from experience... Go to court on your "date" the DA will usually plea a few points down. If it's a 6 expect 4... If it's a 4 expect 2. If it's a 2 pointer expect a non moving violation like a faulty taillight. I would not recommend actually taking your ticket to the judge however. You will be nailed. Court costs are usually $75... So I guess it really depends on your point situation and how many you have left. Losing a license costs a lot more then $75 court costs.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingAshton View Post
I've disputed every ticket I've ever got. Best practice from experience... Go to court on your "date" the DA will usually plea a few points down. If it's a 6 expect 4... If it's a 4 expect 2. If it's a 2 pointer expect a non moving violation like a faulty taillight. I would not recommend actually taking your ticket to the judge however. You will be nailed. Court costs are usually $75... So I guess it really depends on your point situation and how many you have left. Losing a license costs a lot more then $75 court costs.
This is exactly what I was going to say. The DA always pleads traffic tickets down at least 2 points. Im sure some of you guys remember when I busted for racing and doing 108 in a 45 in my 335i. That was a 24 point ticket but the DA cut me a break and only gave me 8 points. That 8 points was enough to get my license suspended for 6 months though. Still, a lot better the the 12 months in jail I was originally looking at. I think that whole process costed me around 700$.

So back to your point, just go to court and take the DA plea and call it a day. If you do take it in front of the judge then you will most likely get killed.
      10-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
AmazingAshton
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say. The DA always pleads traffic tickets down at least 2 points. Im sure some of you guys remember when I busted for racing and doing 108 in a 45 in my 335i. That was a 24 point ticket but the DA cut me a break and only gave me 8 points. That 8 points was enough to get my license suspended for 6 months though. Still, a lot better the the 12 months in jail I was originally looking at. I think that whole process costed me around 700$.

So back to your point, just go to court and take the DA plea and call it a day. If you do take it in front of the judge then you will most likely get killed.
I've been down this road before... Without a pretty hefty bankroll you're willing to lose you will lose. On a $500 ticket I tried to fight it figured all 3 cops wouldn't show up... All three cops showed up with the DA and the judge as they just went to lunch. I got rail roaded... But I was 19... I won't make the same mistake again. If you're not willing to pay at least 5+k I suggest paying the ticket and taking the plea bargain. I've had a 111 in a 55 plead down to 2 points before... So it's not a bad idea. Often, (from experience) if you goto court and the DA suggests a plea it will not be taken by the judge and you will be prosecuted for the full point value plus the ticket plus the court costs...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
collegeguy60
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Here in Missouri I usually Pay my lawer $250-300 each time I get a ticket (ticket/court cost/lawer fee) and he always gets everything removed to a non moving. Hes done this for me at least 6 times in the last year or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

So I went to the courthouse, and they said they could drop it down to 2 points if I paid right then. I asked if I could talk to the DA in the court, and the lady said that there is no DA, and that I would either have to plead guilty or not guilty in front of the magistrate. So instead of pleading not guilty and fighting it, I figured I'd just take the 2 points and call it a day. If there were a DA, I'd offer to pay extra for a zero point ticket, but apparently they'd rather not make more money from their speeding tax on the citizens of Denver.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

In Indiana there was a concept called "pre-trial diversion". I am curious if that exists anywhere else. Goes like this - if I remember it right (over 10 yrs ago now... sheesh):

- Get caught speeding (2 or 4 point only)
- Go to court house and pay a $175 administrative fee for "pre-trial diversion"
- Options:
a) if you don't get caught in the same county again in the next 2 years, nothing ever makes it into your record
b) if you get another ticket in the same cty, you have to pay the old ticket, the new ticket, and you get all the points retroactive.

I went with it b/c I was highly unlikely to ever be in that county again, and it worked. Don't know of many folks who are aware of this. Interesting bit: The officer made me aware of it...
Appreciate 0