E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320's - start/stop function - do you turn it off?

03-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
The Accountant
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: n/a

320's - start/stop function - do you turn it off?

Took delivery of my 320d this month. Unfortunately I can't because it is in Polish (I'm using the US M3 manual to understand most of the functionality).

However some features aren't common - eg. start/stop, break-in period RPMs

I was a little surprised the first time I was sitting at a light in neutral and the engine shut off - at first I thought I stalled. I quickly figured out if I press the button, I can turn this feature off.

Questions:

Any way to permanently turn this off? (so you don't have to press the button each time)?

This feature has got to have some negative side? Seems hard to believe that an engine turning on and off constantly is not going to cause some problems that will more than offset any gas savings.

Is there anything unique to the 320d that I am missing if I only read the M3 manual?

Additionally my voice commands are in German, however the cars going to BMW for some intensive English lessons next week, after that I think we'll be talking to each other in English I hope.
2008 metalic black 320d coupe, black dakota leather, sport suspension, piano trim, i-drive professional, PDC front/rear, prologic 7, 6FL, heated seats, full electric sport seats, comfort access, folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, bluetooth, 189 wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
By the ashtray in the bit above is a button says A something push it in turns it off each time u drive so it wont cut off.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

This feature is great, it gives my left arm & hand exercise everytime I get in the car I reach right over and turn the thing off! The good side is that the car's Tax band drops because it's good to the environment, the bad side is it's bloody annoying. Do you reckon it will wear the starter motor or something else constantly starting the car?
I'd also like to know if it can be permenantly turned off

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
I leave it on, it doesn't bother me at all. As I understand it, the engine was re-designed to cope with the stresses of starting/stopping many more times in its life and also to ensure fuel isn't wasted.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The start/stop only works under the following conditions:
1. The engine has reached full operating temperature
2. Even with 1 above, it won't work if the outside temperature is below 3 centigrade
3. It won't work even if 1 and/or 2 apply if the car is under heavy load - i.e. large heating or air conditioning load.

As scotw says, the system was designed for a heavier start/stop regime but I draw the line if you are in a queue where you literally start, edge forward three feet then stop then 2 seconds later edge forward 3 feet and stop - ad nauseam. Rest of the time i see no problem. If you are in neutral and go to move off you put your foot on the clutch anyway - not a problem. - IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
I draw the line if you are in a queue where you literally start, edge forward three feet then stop then 2 seconds later edge forward 3 feet and stop - ad nauseam.
Good point, I do the same and I've turned it off a couple of times in that type of queue.

Its interesting the amount of things that have to be right for it to switch off, including the charge in the battery. I've been in traffic with it off when it just starts itself - no doubt for some good reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It's started on me without me doing anything as well but the only condition I have identified is if you roll forward from stationary with the engine off - once you get to about 2 mph it will start without any other intervention.
Have you noticed that it will switch off without reaching a dead stop? If you are in an edging forward queue and you slow to a stop slowly it will actually switch off when you are still creeping forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
It's started on me without me doing anything as well but the only condition I have identified is if you roll forward from stationary with the engine off - once you get to about 2 mph it will start without any other intervention.
Have you noticed that it will switch off without reaching a dead stop? If you are in an edging forward queue and you slow to a stop slowly it will actually switch off when you are still creeping forward.
yeah I've noticed that, it will switch off if you are going slow enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:20 AM   #9
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I think to change the language all you need is a uk spec Nav disk.

Check out sergei industries version it's on the "t or rent" hotspots and has camera locations for the whole of europe too.

Obviously don't tell B M W

SJ