E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > x-pel protect the headlights?

03-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
BimmerSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i/Prem/Nav/Sp/20%tint

x-pel protect the headlights?

One of the biggest problems i feel as a car ages are rock chips on the headlights. Some two years from now, i feel these unavoidable rock chips will fog the headlights to the point where the famous e90 "angel eyes" will look strange.

anyone think of using the x-pel protection for headlights? i don't think it'd get the clear film on the hood given its comparable cost vs a repaint a few years down the road and 2 due to fear it'll change color over the seasons

But for headlights... now that's another story. Seems x-pel is selling the clear protector for under 70 USD. Check the following link:

http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...8&submodel=100

If anyone has tried them, even if another brand, pls chime in. i'm interested in opinions before deciding.

thx.
      03-15-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I have had it for years on the headlights on previous cars without any fade in color and never chipped the headlight due to thickness of protection. I highly recommend it and I have applied it to not only the headlights, but to the front fascia, hood, mirrors, doorhandles and rear bumper.
      03-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
irowharderthanyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSD
One of the biggest problems i feel as a car ages are rock chips on the headlights. Some two years from now, i feel these unavoidable rock chips will fog the headlights to the point where the famous e90 "angel eyes" will look strange.

anyone think of using the x-pel protection for headlights? i don't think it'd get the clear film on the hood given its comparable cost vs a repaint a few years down the road and 2 due to fear it'll change color over the seasons

But for headlights... now that's another story. Seems x-pel is selling the clear protector for under 70 USD. Check the following link:

http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...8&submodel=100

If anyone has tried them, even if another brand, pls chime in. i'm interested in opinions before deciding.

thx.
Check out this link...http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=332. Autosport sells the x-pel headlight protectors for $45. Hope this helps.
      03-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
supernova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe Black Metallic

sounds like a BETTER PRICE!

sure hope it works.

click it for myspace
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I have the Xpel film on my R32's Xenon lights. It's not really an option as they are glass and driving the freeways around Phoenix is like navigating through a comet's tail. It has definitely saved my ass, I can see a few impacts that were obviously pretty bad but the film softened the blow and prevented serious damage.

The covers on our E90 lights are (by DOT law) polycarbonate, and as such should resist breaking. The downside is they can get cloudy or beaten up. I'm not crazy about putting film over polycarbonate, I'll probably hold off and hope they age well.