E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)

02-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #265
FPsN54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

So I just finished this job today. Took my time and followed a combination of the BavAuto videos and the DIY write up.

This isn't a hard job, you just have to be patient. The hardest part was removing the awful fittings with the spring clip. You cant twist them because they are keyed, you have to rock them back and forth just enough to the point where you can get a flat head screw driver into the hose to crack them (You'll know what I mean when you get to that point). My dad really wanted to help as he knows nothing about mechanic work and was willing to do most of the steps as long as he was given clear directions.

I also drank a mouthful of coolant and got it into my ear.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #266
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPsN54 View Post
So I just finished this job today. Took my time and followed a combination of the BavAuto videos and the DIY write up.

This isn't a hard job, you just have to be patient. The hardest part was removing the awful fittings with the spring clip. You cant twist them because they are keyed, you have to rock them back and forth just enough to the point where you can get a flat head screw driver into the hose to crack them (You'll know what I mean when you get to that point). My dad really wanted to help as he knows nothing about mechanic work and was willing to do most of the steps as long as he was given clear directions.

I also drank a mouthful of coolant and got it into my ear.
Good deal. I have the dreaded thermostat light and want to tackle this job as well. My only problem is that my hands are big and I am a little nervous of the confined area. An indy in town is willing to do it for about $500. I am tempted to just go that route but the appeal of doing it for much less is appealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #267
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

OK, finished on '07 e93 with 95k miles this weekend. So I'm part of the club......Where's my t-shirt!? As has been mentioned once or twice in this long thread....e93's have 2 long braces with 4 bolts each...or you cant get the sway bar to swing down. I had no problem getting the first 3 unbolted on each bar...but the 2 farthest from the front, would not budge and I was starting to strip the bolts......so I had to just remove the sway bar entirely.

I know some of you made easy work of this task; and good for you. I on the other hand had a B!+Ch of a time from the get go. Those hoses didn't want to let go after 10 years. As mentioned many times in this thread...patience and finesse. Happy to report that even though I did get my hands and arms pretty banged up.....I didn't get a drop of coolant on me. My gloves, sure...but never had any just pour out on me.

This job took me 18 hours and I feel like I've been in a wreck......but well worth not letting the shop that quoted me $1500 take advantage of me. They even refused to use the parts that I ordered from Tischer (because then they couldn't double the price of the parts on me).

Again...do I get like an "I survived the waterpump/thermostat DIY" coffee mug or something?

Thanks to all or contributed to this thread and Otto's great video (who I admittedly cussed at multiple times)

Last edited by Tucker020; 03-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #268
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
OK, finished on '07 e93 with 95k miles this weekend. So I'm part of the club......Where's my t-shirt!? As has been mentioned once or twice in this long thread....e93's have 2 long braces with 4 bolts each...or you cant get the sway bar to swing down. I had no problem getting the first 3 unbolted on each bar...but the 2 farthest from the front, would not budge and I was starting to strip the bolts......so I had to just remove the sway bar entirely.

I know some of you made easy work of this task; and good for you. I on the other hand had a B!+Ch of a time from the get go. Those hoses didn't want to let go after 10 years. As mentioned many times in this thread...patience and finesse. Happy to report that even though I did get my hands and arms pretty banged up.....I didn't get a drop of coolant on me. My gloves, sure...but never had any just pour out on me.

This job took me 18 hours and I feel like I've been in a wreck......but well worth not letting the shop that quoted me $1500 take advantage of me. They even refused to use the parts that I ordered from Tischer (because then they couldn't double the price of the parts on me).

Again...do I get like an "I survived the waterpump/thermostat DIY" coffee mug or something?

Thanks to all or contributed to this thread and Otto's great video (who I admittedly cussed at multiple times)

Congrats! Sorry, no prizes given out here but you do have the satisfaction of knowing that you did this by yourself. You stuck it to the man and saved hundreds of dollars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #269
anjuna
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodiyes View Post
Hi there,

I noticed you added a diy a while back. Would you be interested in adding that diy and others if you want on autodiyes.com

If you are not sure why you should do that, well... we are trying to create a platform exclusively for diy guides so that we can provide the world with better accessibility to such information.

Another feature worth mentioning is that we will be sharing the revenue generated by our platform with the people that write the diy guides.

Let me know if you have any questions and how you feel about our initiative.
gtfo out of here with your ads.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but you quoted a huge array of pictures and shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #270
Tucker020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Congrats! Sorry, no prizes given out here but you do have the satisfaction of knowing that you did this by yourself. You stuck it to the man and saved hundreds of dollars.

Yep.....and put those savings towards ER Chargepipe and Mishimoto FMIC
Appreciate 0