E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2007 335 Running Better After Disconnecting Battery??

01-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

2007 335 Running Better After Disconnecting Battery??

Hello Guys. A few Weeks ago I had a headlight bulb die on me so I disconnected the Battery so I could replace the bulb. The whole process took about an hour or so and when i Re-connected the battery and started everything back up my car seemed to be running much better. Not that it was running badly before but after i disconnected and reconnected the battery everything seemed to be running much smoother, there was no more rough idle, my car seemed to pull much harder and the exhaust sounded louder and smoother than before. I just thought it was a coincidence until yesterday when I had to replace the headlight bulb in my other headlight and noticed the same thing, my car seemed to be running better. Has anyone else experienced this and if so Why? What is the reason for this. Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

If your battery is unplugged for a certain period of time I believe some adaptions reset.

People often indicate that after resetting throttle adaption, etc., their vehicles will 'run better' or have smoother performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
If your battery is unplugged for a certain period of time I believe some adaptions reset.

People often indicate that after resetting throttle adaption, etc., their vehicles will 'run better' or have smoother performance.
Ahh I gotcha. I noticed you put run better in quotations, is my car actually running better or is something else going on here?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYEGUY View Post
Ahh I gotcha. I noticed you put run better in quotations, is my car actually running better or is something else going on here?
I put it in quotes because I honestly don't know!

I'm not sure if it mechanically runs any better or just feels smoother because its more responsive. Someone else will have to chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

nynyny is right, some adaptations do reset (no clue which) and even shadow codes could reset as well. May take a few drive cycles to get it back to the way it was.

I do not believe transmission adaptation values reset.
Appreciate 0