E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > I'm thinking of buying a car in the US and keeping US registration

03-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I'm thinking of buying a car in the US and keeping US registration

Hello...

I've been reading a lot on the forum and thanks for all the helpful info on importing a BMW...

Over the past couple of days, I've been visiting a couple of GTA dealerships and the price difference on a new BMW is incredible between US and Canada (around 10k before taxes!, with LESSER options!). So the fact that I'm going to buy in the US is a given....a used 328xi with everything and as low mileage as I can get for USD 30,000.

Now here's the deal. I'm a US citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident. I can buy used/new/whatever in the US since I have a US presence (address, SSN, credit history, etc). Or buy as a Canadian since I have a Canadian presence too. Ideally, I'd like to keep US registration, US insurance (much cheaper!!) and use the vehicle in Toronto. I've seen a lot of US plates up here in the GTA and maybe they're like me too?? Do I really need to import the vehicle and pay 6.1% duty on a vehicle that maybe I might take back to the US someday if I decide to move back?

However, I guess that'd rule out getting any BMW Canada warranty work as apparently, they need a US car to be imported before they do any work on it.

I'd like to get some opinions on how to proceed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Definitely, keep US reg.
I rather spend few dollars in local shop for maintenance and pay a lot less.
For major warranty issue, you can just drive to US.
So, if I were u, I will definitely keep it US reg. and US insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Warranty should work in Canada as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
Definitely, keep US reg.
I rather spend few dollars in local shop for maintenance and pay a lot less.
For major warranty issue, you can just drive to US.
So, if I were u, I will definitely keep it US reg. and US insurance.

The problem is: when i was getting my Perm Residence (I was here on a TN visa earlier) -- the CBSA guy told me that they will not allow a Canadian PR holder to drive in US plated car into Canada...that like the rest of Canadians, I'd have to import any new car I buy. I said "what if it is registered to my brother who's an American?"....there was no clear answer to that but "we can investigate you".

Well, the other problem is insurance coverage -- how does a car which is registered in the US stay in Toronto all the time?

Last edited by AmericanInToronto; 03-06-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
The problem is: when i was getting my Perm Residence (I was here on a TN visa earlier) -- the CBSA guy told me that they will not allow a Canadian PR holder to drive in US plated car into Canada....they will treat it as an "attempt to avoid importation".
Not sure if things have changed, but my Grandparents - years ago (Snobirds, spent 6 mos in Florida a year) always had a Florida plated car. Canadian and did not have any American status.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Not sure if things have changed, but my Grandparents - years ago (Snobirds, spent 6 mos in Florida a year) always had a Florida plated car. Canadian and did not have any American status.
And CBSA never harassed them?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
And CBSA never harassed them?
No - not to my knowledge. They stopped going to Florida about 5 years ago and now have an Ontario plated car. Also, come to think of it I have been in my house for about 8 years, and there are a few people around that have been here as long as me and have US plates. 1 family from Michigan and the other from Illinois and still have US plated cars.
If you also have a US presence - I would hope you could still have a US car without importing it. Good luck, hope it works out. Hopefully someone else will have direct experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

I inquired about the very same thing about two weeks ago when purchasing my new E90 M3. I am a Canadian citizen with a home in Florida. I can purchase a vehicle in that state, however have to pay state taxes there (lower in Alberta), and as well, maintain insurance there too.

The two insurance companies I called for quotations stated that they would were unsure if they would provide coverage if the vehicle was out of state (I.E. at my home in Calgary) for more than three months of the year. Not to mention, since I don't have a SSN (and hence no credit in the US), the cost of insurance was about 60% higher in Florida, than at home.

In the end, the unsurety regarding insurance coverage, coupled with transportation costs and other logistical hassles made more sense for me to buy the car locally where I received a fairly healthy discount.

Hope this helps!
Asif
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryX3 View Post
I inquired about the very same thing about two weeks ago when purchasing my new E90 M3. I am a Canadian citizen with a home in Florida. I can purchase a vehicle in that state, however have to pay state taxes there (lower in Alberta), and as well, maintain insurance there too.

The two insurance companies I called for quotations stated that they would were unsure if they would provide coverage if the vehicle was out of state (I.E. at my home in Calgary) for more than three months of the year. Not to mention, since I don't have a SSN (and hence no credit in the US), the cost of insurance was about 60% higher in Florida, than at home.

In the end, the unsurety regarding insurance coverage, coupled with transportation costs and other logistical hassles made more sense for me to buy the car locally where I received a fairly healthy discount.

Hope this helps!
Asif
Thanks to this thread in another forum:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...s-t6071.0.html

It seems if one is a PR holder AND resident of Canada (lives day to day here), one has to import the car. A person can be a PR holder and not living in Canada and for that time, can drive into Canada with US plates. As I am the former, I'll have to import it.

But it still makes sense to buy in the US -- even a new car (the configuration i want) is $10-11k cheaper down there.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But it still makes sense to buy in the US -- even a new car (the configuration i want) is $10-11k cheaper down there.
Another issue I ran into was a US dealer willing to sell new to a Canadian. I tried sourcing one anywhere from Washington state, down into California, even Arizona and Texas without much luck. Granted, I only called about 8 or 9 dealers, but became discouraged fairly quickly.

A
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Another issue I ran into was a US dealer willing to sell new to a Canadian. I tried sourcing one anywhere from Washington state, down into California, even Arizona and Texas without much luck. Granted, I only called about 8 or 9 dealers, but became discouraged fairly quickly.

A
Ahaha!

If I were buying new, I have a Calif license and a Calif address and I'd buy as a regular American customer. I can always buy out of state and tell them I need temp plates (not CA plates, because that'd be CA tax + Canada import tax + 13% HST = double taxation) and then make a detour up to the Canadian border.

But I'll be buying used and so can you, a Canadian. My budget won't allow me to buy new.

Last edited by AmericanInToronto; 03-06-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
No - not to my knowledge. They stopped going to Florida about 5 years ago and now have an Ontario plated car. Also, come to think of it I have been in my house for about 8 years, and there are a few people around that have been here as long as me and have US plates. 1 family from Michigan and the other from Illinois and still have US plated cars.
If you also have a US presence - I would hope you could still have a US car without importing it. Good luck, hope it works out. Hopefully someone else will have direct experience with it.
Probably because they lived 7 months in FL and 5 months in Canada, making them US residents.

Any car with US plates in Canada where the owner is anything but a temporary worker --- that's illegal from a customs perspective and is subject to seizure at the border:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...d2-4-1-eng.pdf

Just found this thanks to that other forum.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But I'll be buying used and so can you, a Canadian. My budget won't allow me to buy new.
True enough. For me, it was either new or nothing.

Good luck with your purchase-do let us know how things go!

A
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
True enough. For me, it was either new or nothing.

Good luck with your purchase-do let us know how things go!

A
Thanks, will do.

The other downside of importing a car to Canada besides higher Ontario insurance premiums: you lose CPO status on a car that is exported from the US -- that's what i read here on the forum. I don't understand if that means the CPO is still good in US and not honored in Canada(which I know) or does it mean that CPO status is lost in the US too?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

my sister lived in Florida for years and never changed the registration or plates on her car when she moved back. She used a friend's address in Fla for the registration. Import duties and out of province inspection were issues, but she also got to dreive on the 407 hwy for free (no front plate to scan).

Legally, you have to register a car within 90 days of bringing it in. But it will be rare if a police officer can prove you have had the car in province for more than 90 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

Whatever you do make sure your insurance is covered. People do all sorts of things and they'll tell you "it turned out fine", it doesn't mean they know what they're doing. all it takes is one tiny clause in your insurance contract and a small accident/law suit. Then you'll be fucked for life.
      03-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want View Post
Whatever you do make sure your insurance is covered. People do all sorts of things and they'll tell you "it turned out fine", it doesn't mean they know what they're doing. all it takes is one tiny clause in your insurance contract and a small accident/law suit. Then you'll be fucked for life.
Excellent advice. God forbid you end up taking a child's life and don't have the insurance to cover it.

A
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble bubble View Post
my sister lived in Florida for years and never changed the registration or plates on her car when she moved back. She used a friend's address in Fla for the registration. Import duties and out of province inspection were issues, but she also got to dreive on the 407 hwy for free (no front plate to scan).

Legally, you have to register a car within 90 days of bringing it in. But it will be rare if a police officer can prove you have had the car in province for more than 90 days.
But has she used her car to go in and out of Canada by road? Probably not....the cops don't care about customs rules.

But I'm sure insurance won't cover her if she gets into something. The insurance coverage from the US while driving in Canada is "non-resident" coverage....basically, short term for visitors and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want View Post

Agreed!!

I could avoid importing by registering the car in my brother's name, have him drive it into Canada and then never driving it out of the country.

BUT, if I got into an accident here, insurance company would be definitely interested in knowing why I, a Canadian resident was driving my US citizen/non-resident's car in Toronto and they might deny the claim.

THAT I am not willing to risk.

Now thinking through this --- it's best to bite the bullet and import the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #20
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
But has she used her car to go in and out of Canada by road? Probably not....the cops don't care about customs rules.

But I'm sure insurance won't cover her if she gets into something. The insurance coverage from the US while driving in Canada is "non-resident" coverage....basically, short term for visitors and stuff.
That caris long gone. But she had it in Toronto for 4 or 5 years. Drove it up from Florida "on a visit" and crossed back and forth several times.

I wouldn't be worried about customs or not transferring the registration, I'd be worried about the insurance. Insurance companies will use any loophole to not pay out. In a serious accident, or if anyone gets hurt, you'd be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble bubble View Post
That caris long gone. But she had it in Toronto for 4 or 5 years. Drove it up from Florida "on a visit" and crossed back and forth several times.

I wouldn't be worried about customs or not transferring the registration, I'd be worried about the insurance. Insurance companies will use any loophole to not pay out. In a serious accident, or if anyone gets hurt, you'd be screwed.
Agreed on the seriousness of insurance. But the customs guys also threaten forfeiture and seizure.....They're the point men for collecting revenue for the federal and provincial governments!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Agreed on the seriousness of insurance. But the customs guys also threaten forfeiture and seizure.....They're the point men for collecting revenue for the federal and provincial governments!
I agree...with the amount of people importing, canada customs is on high alert...I'm pretty sure they'll question you and they might tell you that you have to import the car...unless you make up some story which is unwise given the fact that they can easily haul you in for questioning...

also, on an aside...there have already been reports with people trying to 'fake' the purchase price of their imported cars..the fine is so high, you end up paying more in the long run, thus defeating the purpose of importing...another reason why Canada Customs is on high alert....
Appreciate 0