E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Independent Dyno Of Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo 335i **VIDEOS INCLUDED**

06-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #45
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Congrats FBIS and Vishnu. That is one sick car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
Love the sound of that 62mm spooling. Dude, please make us an in car video. Action. Like tomorrow or something. Do it simple, have someone hold an iPhone in the passenger lol, that will suffice for now. Congrats on this, car must be awesome.
There will be some in car videos in the coming days.
      06-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Smiderreen View Post
FBIS -Thanks for the data and dyno video. Do you have a oil cooler upgrade? If you can recall, how were your oil temps during the back-to-back dyno pulls? Do you think a upgraded oil cooler is a necessity with this kit?

One last thing. What is your meth mix?
D_Smidereen, I do have a STETT Stage 2 oil cooler. It has a large setrab core and I couldn't get the oil temps above about 200 during these dyno pulls. The oil cooler has been a huge success so far!

I was on 100% meth on this run.
      06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
Congrats FBIS and Vishnu. That is one sick car.
bigdnno98, thank you.
      06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #49
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

car sounds amazing....i'd probably drive the car around for hours with no destination in mind!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
car sounds amazing....i'd probably drive the car around for hours with no destination in mind!
I have definitely been putting a few miles on the car.
      06-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #51
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
nafoo, this will take a little while to write up. I have a lot of data to collect still.
Yeah, figured since your reviews are always in depth. A couple videos here and there should be a nice appetizer to your full review

I'm def jelly.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #52
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Yeah, figured since your reviews are always in depth. A couple videos here and there should be a nice appetizer to your full review

I'm def jelly.
I have a few upgrades I am doing still too and get my wheels re-wrapped with my R888. I want this car to do things right.
      06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #53
I3ossman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335

I cant wait to get this done, congrats FBIS I am green with envy
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #54
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ossman View Post
I cant wait to get this done, congrats FBIS I am green with envy
Are you making the move to a single? You won't regret it. Trust me.
      06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

FBIS, I would like to know your opinion compared to your previous setup (if you can still remember).

Everyone says that the spool up and boost response of Shiv's single being great above and around 3000 rpm. But, how does it feel from 1500-3000?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #56
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
FBIS, I would like to know your opinion compared to your previous setup (if you can still remember).

Everyone says that the spool up and boost response of Shiv's single being great above and around 3000 rpm. But, how does it feel from 1500-3000?
This turbo is a different animal. The CEAs spool fast, but on a high compression motor it is really fast. Below 3k rpms, I drive the car like a normal drive. Above I drive the car more spirited, so I am in my powerband when I need the power. Remember I am a manual, so my rpms are based on my driving needs.
      06-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #57
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

No expects big tq at 1.5k rpms on a big turbo. That's the benefit of a good 6spd: you always have the right gear.

I've driven big single turbos on other cars and it was LAG city. It's not about the rpm to reach a certain boost level, it's the response which doesn't show on a Dyno. A 500whp STi I recently drove took 2-3 seconds from WOT to go when doing it at ~2k which is crazy. Even then you get used to just choosing the right gear where response is great.

I'd imagine the 335 would be much better, but I'll have to drive one to find out (price already?!)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #58
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This turbo is a different animal. The CEAs spool fast, but on a high compression motor it is really fast. Below 3k rpms, I drive the car like a normal drive. Above I drive the car more spirited, so I am in my powerband when I need the power. Remember I am a manual, so my rpms are based on my driving needs.
I completely understand the fact that you drive a manual. I should have included that in my original question. I know that you can control what gear you are in and therefore you can be in the power band at will.

But, since there are not so many single turbos out there, I just wanted your response as to how the car feels compared to your previous setup.

I'm concerned how the turbo is being marketed with everyone saying that the spool is quick and the car is beast. However, everything is about the 3000rpm range. How about if you are at a complete stop and have to rev it up to 3000rpm? What about the occasions that you are just cruising and don't feel like you want to drop a gear?

Remember how HFP marketed their exhaust as not droning? Then, they provided a video which the guy drove above 3000rpm and saying that there is no drove, yet most individuals do drive their car under the 3000rpm range. We all recognized in the end that the HFP exhaust did drone after all...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #59
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
I completely understand the fact that you drive a manual. I should have included that in my original question. I know that you can control what gear you are in and therefore you can be in the power band at will.

But, since there are not so many single turbos out there, I just wanted your response as to how the car feels compared to your previous setup.

I'm concerned how the turbo is being marketed with everyone saying that the spool is quick and the car is beast. However, everything is about the 3000rpm range. How about if you are at a complete stop and have to rev it up to 3000rpm? What about the occasions that you are just cruising and don't feel like you want to drop a gear?

Remember how HFP marketed their exhaust as not droning? Then, they provided a video which the guy drove above 3000rpm and saying that there is no drove, yet most individuals do drive their car under the 3000rpm range. We all recognized in the end that the HFP exhaust did drone after all...
You're in the bay area. Why don't you come over for a test drive and see for yourself? You will see that it is veryresponsive and pretty hard to catch off-guard. If you come to a complete stop in 1st gear, get rolling and stomp on it, you will be experiencing wheel spin a fraction of a second later. The only time you would suffer painfully from lag is if you drive it 1 or 2 gears higher than you normally would for any given situation. Whereas the stock turbos have enough low end response to make up for bad driving, a single requires a minimal amount of proficiency from the driver.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #60
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Fair enough question. If you mat the car at 2k in 4th gear, then it will take time to build boost. My dyno runs started at 2k in 4th gear, so if you watch the video then you can hear how long it takes to build boost. The DJ doesn't load up the car the same, so it is slower on the dyno. I judge boost building from 2nd gear personally and it builds really fast through that gear. I would say you are at 10 psi in about 1 second from a 2k roll? Once you get above 3k, it is nuts.
      06-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #61
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You're in the bay area. Why don't you come over for a test drive and see for yourself? You will see that it is veryresponsive and pretty hard to catch off-guard. If you come to a complete stop in 1st gear, get rolling and stomp on it, you will be experiencing wheel spin a fraction of a second later. The only time you would suffer painfully from lag is if you drive it 1 or 2 gears higher than you normally would for any given situation. Whereas the stock turbos have enough low end response to make up for bad driving, a single requires a minimal amount of proficiency from the driver.

Shiv
Thank you Shiv for the offer and description of the power.

I love the power that I see, but since I have an auto (wife needs to drive) I would have to keep it in DS mode for this single. And it seems that that the smaller turbo (58mm) makes power at a little higher of an RPM than what the auto trans keeps it in in DS mode (~2200RPM). That's is why I have been raising this issue for autos...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #62
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough question. If you mat the car at 2k in 4th gear, then it will take time to build boost. My dyno runs started at 2k in 4th gear, so if you watch the video then you can hear how long it takes to build boost. The DJ doesn't load up the car the same, so it is slower on the dyno. I judge boost building from 2nd gear personally and it builds really fast through that gear. I would say you are at 10 psi in about 1 second from a 2k roll? Once you get above 3k, it is nuts.
Thank you for your response.

I really enjoy all your reviews and they have helped me out a lot! I will be waiting for more reviews from you and maybe more videos while driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #63
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

I really enjoy all your reviews and they have helped me out a lot! I will be waiting for more reviews from you and maybe more videos while driving.
onesuperboi, thanks for the comments on my reviews. I put a lot of time into them.

This will be a big review because my car suspension needed some upgrades and tires as well for this power. I had to acquire more equipment to performance test the car as well. This will take a little while.
      06-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #64
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

wow!
congrats -
unsuspect'n freeway onlookers beware of the
new beast.
      06-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #65
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Thank you Shiv for the offer and description of the power.

I love the power that I see, but since I have an auto (wife needs to drive) I would have to keep it in DS mode for this single. And it seems that that the smaller turbo (58mm) makes power at a little higher of an RPM than what the auto trans keeps it in in DS mode (~2200RPM). That's is why I have been raising this issue for autos...
@onesuperboi - i'm a 6AT with the 58mm ... and its super fun. I'll do my write up in a few days, i've got 400 miles logged now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #66
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
I've got over 600 miles on the 6at 62mm and it's not an issue. The car is great to drive and a beast on the freeway. Write up to come!
Appreciate 0