E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Fantino wishes street racing law applied at 30 km/h over limit

11-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #45
john335i
Master of Everything I See
Canada
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 535xi

There are valid arguements for both causes, I myself have done the drive between Toronto and Ottawa many times and quite often have found myself up on the 140km/h range. I even had an OPP cruiser come up behind me I pulled over to the right lane, and he drove on by. There is a difference between speeding and racing, racing implies reckless driving and as far as I'm concerned that can be @ any speed. What concerns me more are the type of cars that are going these speeds, not that I'm invinsible in my BMW but the car is very responsive and stops on a dime. Seeing other vehicles going as fast as I am or faster (i.e pick up trucks) in know that they don't have the stopping power or the responsiveness to be going that fast. The other problem I see is tail gating, holy shit I can't believe how close some people follow you. I honestly believe we could have a high speed limit on our 400 series highways if people left a reasonable distance between cars.

Just my two cents...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #46
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperD View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse, but if nothing else it's your attitude and judgmental banter that's got people fired up here.

As "one of the people in here", I take issue with the idea that I'm whining because I want to speed at 150 and not be subjected to significant punishment.

In fact, I don't want to speed; I want the limits to be raised to something more appropriate so that doing 120-130 is no longer considered speeding. I think that the majority of the driving population can handle this speed increase.

As for determing at what point "speed" becomes "excessive and dangerous speed"... you're not getting that that's a fluid argument. 50-over is arbitrary. It's as arbitrary as 20 over, yet traffic tends to flow at 20 over on the highways. What happens in mid-January when there's black ice on the highways and some idiot tears by at 130 while everybody is doing 80? Wouldn't you agree that they're still doing 50 over what's considered appropriate? They should have their ass handed to them, but under this law they wouldn't.

This law will accomplish nothing meaningful in its current form. For every 1000 cars that get impounded, 1000 more drivers enter the system without proper training. This law is a step, but it's not the right step. People here are "whining" because this solution is ridiculously short-sighted, and trounces important checks and balances in the process of being ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #47
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post
Oh for the love of God. Everyone here is whining because they think they should be able to speed at 150 and not have any significant punishment. I think speeding at 150 all by itself without any other wreckless driving is deserving of having your car confiscated and a huge fine imposed. We have sen the "everyone else is doing it" argument and the "cars and roads can handle it" argument. I think people can't handle the speeds and they increase the risk of accidents.

I have had many expensive cars over the years. I mention BMW in my rants because this is BMW forum in case you haven't noticed.

I sound like a ranting and raving idiot because I have known people to have died in car accidents where speed was the critical factor. In one instance, I scrambled to find my best friend sprawled dead on the road after he got ejected from his car (an expensive well handling car) after he lost control around a corner on an empty road and flipped it several times. I was in the passenger seat and was simply lucky to have lived -- he wasn't lucky.

Once again...the law is in place and I am happy with it. if you don't want the fines or your car taken away...don't go 50+ over the limit. If you want to speed...go to a track.

The fear of losing your car and having a $10K fine will make a lot of people look at their speedometers and keep it closer to the limit. It's obviously a hot topic of conversation and is having some impact. There are around 1000 people that have been inconvenienced and had a financial hit that will make them reconsider speeding that fast next time. And it isn't always 150...often its 100 in a 50 zone or 130 in an 80 zone. Those zones often have more unexpected events like kids darting across roads or people coming out of driveways or hidden roads. It's not all about the 400 series.
ahhh please shut the fuck up already !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #48
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

hahahahah
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #49
kipawariver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 MT, ‘17 F15 35d M

My first post, so be gentle.
Having driven for extended periods of time on high speed roads in numerous countries in both Europe and North America, I can only laugh at the ridiculously low speed limits on all Ontario roads. There is no excuse for a 100km/h blanket speed limit on any 4 lane road here or anywhere else. If a large percentage of those travelling are not obeying the speed limits, then they are not realistic. The relationship with speeding and racing is hard to justify. The fact that Fantino likes his new power scares me.
In Germany, there are more deaths per km. driven on secondary roads where there is a speed limit than on the Autobahns. Germans have one of the highest levels of licensing education and it shows. They have lane discipline, something we are lacking. They have mandatory safety checks every 2 years, not when there is a roadside spot check.
I just returned from Texas with my new 335i and drove interstates all the way, mostly at 83 mph (133km/h) which was only 13 km/h over the speed limit. I was constantly passed. Very civilized, no crazies, no problem with cops.
I have no problem with strict penalties for racing, just antiquated speed laws. We used to have a 120 km/h limit in Ontario and we should return to at least that as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0