E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DWR Tranny Tune

03-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #67
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasss View Post
Hey, DWR,

Could you also do a TCU tune for an E61 535d?
bump
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #68
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post

Not trying to complete with xHP, just providing a service that the community at large asked for (in rare cases I have provided special tunes to select individuals). If you would like to see xHP provide the tools for 3rd party developers, as they have promised, please contact them and express your opinion.
First, I want to commend you on your class and level of ethics. We tend to hear rumors in this community of slightly unethical behavior in the effort to make a profit, cut someone out or push the platform....You sir are a paragon.

Second...I was asked a question while discussing this that I thought I knew the answer to, but I cant remember for sure: Does your tune remove torque limits?
Appreciate 1
RED-d27.00
      03-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #69
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Let's see if I can answer a couple of questions in one post.

At this time, I only provide a tune for the 335d and X5d. If and only if there was enough interest, I would consider tuning other variants. Some stage 4 guys are testing the limits of the DWR 2.3 tune. I am looking into providing a higher performance tune that would also have a broad range of applicability, not just stage 4. I do not remove torque limits. I do raise torque limits. I will raise them up to 1000Nm for custom tunes, otherwise they are set to 850Nm.

For any folks that want custom tunes, my policy is if you can't provide data logs or give explicit specifications, I will not spend my time time trying to create a tune. Also, I have a fair amount of data and analysis. If you ask me to improve butt-o-meter performance I will generally not entertain those requests. To be frank, working with TDIwyse spoiled me, and I have come to expect a level of competence and rigor not everyone can exercise. I am willing to share info and educate. I don't do TCU tuning training.

Often get asked to improve on an xHP tune. While xHP and I do maintain a limited correspondence, DWRacing and xHP are not affiliated in any other way. xHP tunes are encrypted, I do not "officially" know the specifics of their tunes. It is a one way street, because xHP also encrypts my tunes for use in their app. xHP does custom tuning. I produced a custom tune for TDIwyse and shared it with the community. Never thought it would go past that. To the point that it has remained fun for me, I have expanded the work and may continue to do so.

Hopefully, I am not coming across too negative. I have enjoyed serving this community. Life circumstances have reduced my involvement in this forum. Custom tuning will either be delayed or halted completely, while I work on some things in the background (trying to keep it fun for me). I am working on a configuration tool that will allow more effective and efficient production of customized TCU tunes. Still challenged with how to do that within the frame work of the xHP app.

Finally, thank you for the kind words, support, and challenges.
Best,
DWR

Last edited by DWR; 04-02-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 7
      04-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #70
ololiuqui
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 325d

Quote:
Let's see if I can answer a couple of questions in one post.

At this time, I only provide a tune for the 335d and X5d
DWR
Sorry to ask, but will it work with 325d -09?

Last edited by ololiuqui; 04-26-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #71
DWR
Banned
Rep

DWR v2.65 TCU tune is here

I got a major shot in the arm a few months back from Rods335D. He agreed to do extensive testing with his stage 4 335d in an effort to create an improved TCU tune for stage 4 cars. I travel alot for work, so testing on my car isn't possible much of the time. In addition, the 335d is the car my wife prefers to drive. And let's just say I like to keep her happy

Anyway, the DWR v2.65 TCU Tune is now available. Here's a rundown of what has changed over the original version:

1) First big difference is the manual shift points. TDIwyse was able to seriously extend the power range on his engine and we extended the shifts to take advantage. However, I have yet to see another Hp curve like that. A lot of folks were complaining that their power falls of much earlier, but they still wanted auto shifting in Manual mode. Accordingly, they are moved down @ 200 rpm in the newest version. That should optimize the power band for most applications.

2) All of the torque limiters are at 1100Nm. And I mean all of them, as I found per gear up and downshift limits in the the bin. As a note, I have been asked to increase these even more (and have on special request), but no one has been able to provide any logs that show the DDE ever communicates torque levels that high. If someone can, I will up the limits. BTW, don't confuse dyno numbers with what is being reported by the DDE. I am talking to the WMI users. The TCU doesn't know what you are spraying.

3) In Sport and Manual modes the shift pressures are now all greater than or equal to a similar Alpina tune. In fact, someone from Europe said it felt like an Alpina D except faster. I have never driven an Alpina D (although I would like to), so I can only take his word.

4) D mode 1>2 shift has been made a little quicker. It feels more like the other shifts. 1>2 has the greatest rpm spread so it will never be like the other shifts, but now it is in the same family.

5) Both Sport and Manual mode have Torque Reduction lessened. The shift speed is about the same, but now more of the power gets transmitted and hybrid turbos stay in the game better.

6) Some xHP stage 3 users report "hanging" shifts. We tested many settings and were able to reproduce the problem. While there is no 100% guarantee, I have made every effort to produce a tune that shifts properly, everytime.

If I cataloged all the changes that were tried, that did not work as well as we wanted, the list would be 10 times longer. Lots of effort and time.

The process is still the same, PM me if you are interested. 40% credit for those who want to upgrade from the previous tune. Custom tunes also possible. Cheers.

Last edited by DWR; 06-05-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 4
      06-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #72
Rods335D
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D Stage 4

Thanks DWR!! It was fun and I learned a lot about data logging! I really like to refer to this DWR tune as the all in one tune. Daily driver, sport driver, road course driver and drag racer.
I'm really interested to see the feed back on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #73
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
I got a major shot in the arm a few months back from Rods335D. He agreed to do extensive testing with his stage 4 335d in an effort to create an improved TCU tune for stage 4 cars. I travel alot for work, so testing on my car isn't possible much of the time. In addition, the 335d is the car my wife prefers to drive. And let's just say I like to keep her happy

Anyway, the DWR v2.65 TCU Tune is now available. Here's a rundown of what has changed over the original version:

1) First big difference is the manual shift points. TDIwyse was able to seriously extend the power range on his engine and we extended the shifts to take advantage. However, I have yet to see another Hp curve like that. A lot of folks were complaining that their power falls of much earlier, but they still wanted auto shifting in Manual mode. Accordingly, they are moved down @ 200 rpm in the newest version. That should optimize the power band for most applications.

2) All of the torque limiters are at 1100Nm. And I mean all of them, as I found per gear up and downshift limits in the the bin. As a note, I have been asked to increase these even more (and have on special request), but no one has been able to provide any logs that show the DDE ever communicates torque levels that high. If someone can, I will up the limits. BTW, don't confuse dyno numbers with what is being reported by the DDE. I am talking to the WMI users. The TCU doesn't know what you are spraying.

3) In Sport and Manual modes the shift pressures are now all greater than or equal to a similar Alpina tune. In fact, someone from Europe said it felt like an Alpina D except faster. I have never driven an Alpina D (although I would like to), so I can only take his word.

4) D mode 1>2 shift has been made a little quicker. It feels more like the other shifts. 1>2 has the greatest rpm spread so it will never be like the other shifts, but now it is in the same family.

5) Both Sport and Manual mode have Torque Reduction lessened. The shift speed is about the same, but now more of the power gets transmitted and hybrid turbos stay in the game better.

6) Some xHP stage 3 users report "hanging" shifts. We tested many settings and were able to reproduce the problem. While there is no 100% guarantee, I have made every effort to produce a tune that shifts properly, everytime.

If I cataloged all the changes that were tried, that did not work as well as we wanted, the list would be 10 times longer. Lots of effort and time.

The process is still the same, PM me if you are interested. To avoid any confusion, this is not a discounted upgraded for previous DWR TCU tune users. Sorry if that bothers anyone. Funds support efforts like this. Cheers.
Interesting. This is only for stage 4 cars correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #74
Rods335D
Rep

Not just for stage 4 cars, I would call it, up to stage 4 cars and slightly higher when ever that happens.
Appreciate 1
DWR797.50
      06-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #75
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods335D View Post
Thanks DWR!! It was fun and I learned a lot about data logging! I really like to refer to this DWR tune as the all in one tune. Daily driver, sport driver, road course driver and drag racer.
I'm really interested to see the feed back on this one.
Yep, my description makes it sound like only stage 4 cars could use it. I think it is better to say made accommodations for stage 4 cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #76
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
If anyone gets this with a stage 2-2.5 tune (no meth), report performance! I've heard the progress over the last couple of months as Rod tested (coworker), but he has so many more upgrades than I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #77
DWR
Banned
Rep

OK a prior user gave me a good argument for a discount. Because I have your xHP state file, that makes it easier for me. Therefore, a 40% credit will be applied towards the new tune. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #78
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudZ View Post
If anyone gets this with a stage 2-2.5 tune (no meth), report performance! I've heard the progress over the last couple of months as Rod tested (coworker), but he has so many more upgrades than I do.
Without getting too much into the technical details, the maps are extended to accommodate higher torque reporting from the DDE. They do not affect lower horsepower levels in negative ways. If they did Rod's vehicle would exhibit it. The tune is not harsh at part throttle, same as it has always been.
Appreciate 2
HudZ9.50
      06-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #79
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Without getting too much into the technical details, the maps are extended to accommodate higher torque reporting from the DDE. They do not affect lower horsepower levels in negative ways. If they did Rod's vehicle would exhibit it. The tune is not harsh at part throttle, same as it has always been.
I guess my specific concern would be the different power bands and what RPM is the peak gain. JR's dyno sheets shows:

2.5 -> 344hp @ 3853 rpm
4.0 -> 388hp @ 4493 rpm

Wouldn't I just be losing power from 3854 until shift?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #80
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Quote:
DWR, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #81
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I guess my specific concern would be the different power bands and what RPM is the peak gain. JR's dyno sheets shows:

2.5 -> 344hp @ 3853 rpm
4.0 -> 388hp @ 4493 rpm

One sided analysis won't give you the right answer. There is a downside below 3,853 rpm, right? Typically, driving past the peak is the quickest way down the road. I can optimize the shift point on a per gear basis. If you would like a custom tune, fitted to your vehicle, that is also an option. PM me if that interests you. That same answer goes for anyone wanting something specifically fitted to their needs.

Last edited by DWR; 06-05-2018 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #82
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
DWR, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
Sorry about that. Lots of room now!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #83
Rods335D
Rep

Quote:

2.5 -> 344hp @ 3853 rpm
4.0 -> 388hp @ 4493 rpm

If you shift for example at 3900 rpm, you would go to the next gear with a change in ratio that is designed for being at a higher MPH to deliver the WOT power you would be expecting. Then you would start pulling from around 2800-2900 rpm, you would be very disappointed in the power.

Ideally you want to shift just right as the car stops pulling, which should be in the range of 4700-4900 rpm for most tunes with hybrids and even with stock turbos. Example you shift at 4700 rpm you go into the next gear at a much high mph to compensate for the gear ratio change and then you start pulling from 3700-3900 rpm which is higher in the power band, which puts smiles on faces.
Appreciate 2
HudZ9.50
DWR797.50
      06-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #84
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods335D View Post
If you shift for example at 3900 rpm, you would go to the next gear with a change in ratio that is designed for being at a higher MPH to deliver the WOT power you would be expecting. Then you would start pulling from around 2800-2900 rpm, you would be very disappointed in the power.

Ideally you want to shift just right as the car stops pulling, which should be in the range of 4700-4900 rpm for most tunes with hybrids and even with stock turbos. Example you shift at 4700 rpm you go into the next gear at a much high mph to compensate for the gear ratio change and then you start pulling from 3700-3900 rpm which is higher in the power band, which puts smiles on faces.
Yea that actually makes perfect sense. It's the lesser of 2 evils essentially. While I might lose some HP going beyond my peak RPM, it's less of a loss than shifting at my peak and bogging the engine down to the 2800ish RPM range. So basically, no matter what shifting in the upper 4ks is optimal regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #85
DWR
Banned
Rep

Attachment 1837886To put some numbers to it, for prefect shifts, this is what Rods335D is talking about.:

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 645
Size:  8.5 KB

Depending on what the HP curve looks like, you might argue for shifts coming sooner in the upper gears. It is a a matter of maximizing the area under the HP curve, per gear. The fact is the HP curve for a modded 335d without WMI are pretty flat from 3,400 to 4,600 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #86
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Attachment 1837886To put some numbers to it, for prefect shifts, this is what Rods335D is talking about.:

Attachment 1837877

Depending on what the HP curve looks like, you might argue for shifts coming sooner in the upper gears. It is a a matter of maximizing the area under the HP curve, per gear. The fact is the HP curve for a modded 335d without WMI are pretty flat from 3,400 to 4,600 rpm.
Does torque have any bearing on this? I notice torque curves peak much earlier compared to HP. I'd assume it would early on and then not so much after the car is rolling.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #87
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Does torque have any bearing on this? I notice torque curves peak much earlier compared to HP. I'd assume it would early on and then not so much after the car is rolling.
HP is a function of torque and rpm. So where you want to be is at max hp, not max torque.
Gears are there to translate HP into torque at the road speed, meaning best acceleration is always where HP is highest, not torque. What makes these diesels feel stronger than peaky gasoline engine is that we have a flatter HP curve. As DWR said keep more HP under the curve.
Appreciate 3
DWR797.50
      06-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #88
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Any scope for the later European e9*?
Mine is the 325d with the n57 engine in but the ZF gearbox will be the same so...?

Cheers
Appreciate 0