E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dyno #'s vs Break-in Procedure

08-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
I'dratherBdrivingmyBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 335!

Dyno #'s vs Break-in Procedure

Seems there are enough dyno charts out there to try and get them compiled into one thread, along with the break-in procedure used on said car.

Modded and stock... post 'em up!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'dratherBdrivingmyBMW View Post
Seems there are enough dyno charts out there to try and get them compiled into one thread, along with the break-in procedure used on said car.

Modded and stock... post 'em up!
break in wont effect your dyno numbers, and its been covered many times... many many times, the only time it might possibly maybe kinda if your very unlucky and god wills it effect your car is 100,000 miles down the road
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
I'dratherBdrivingmyBMW
Private
Rep

the title is a little misleading. the main purpose of this thread is to compile all the dyno sheets (or numbers if sheet is not available) with your mods and break-in procedure... just to be thorough.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

But how do we know the car isn't just a factory freak? Some cars just make slight more HP than others, I think hard vs soft break in will always just be personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

What you're interested in is oil consumption.

Cars with a break-in that was too hard or too soft will have higher oil consumption (and less power than would be theoretically possible with the right break-in)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
break in wont effect your dyno numbers, and its been covered many times... many many times, the only time it might possibly maybe kinda if your very unlucky and god wills it effect your car is 100,000 miles down the road
I've seen a local car mag dynoing a few cars with different break-in and although there might not be a statistical significance, the hard break-in cars had more hp.

What is the coverage you are referring to?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Yep, break'em in hard. By 20 miles on the clock the rings are as seated as they are gonna get. I broke mine in hard (not alot of rpm's, but alot of full throttle use) and it doesn't burn any oil, I mean not a drop.
      08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
I've seen a local car mag dynoing a few cars with different break-in and although there might not be a statistical significance, the hard break-in cars had more hp.

What is the coverage you are referring to?
HOLLY SHIT, a local car mag dynod a couple of cars that had different break ins and the cars that were broken in harder showed more HP!!!

alright guys the hard vs soft argument is settled now, we have concrete conclusive evidence

give me a break, first off a hard break in would put more revolutions on the engine, and as everyone knows piston engines increase in HP as they break in so thats no surprise anyways, im sure the soft break in cars caught up as time went on

and FYI i drove my car like i stole it off the lot, i did donuts in the BMW lot and then burned out onto the road, fact is it makes no difference
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
TwinBoost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
HOLLY SHIT, a local car mag dynod a couple of cars that had different break ins and the cars that were broken in harder showed more HP!!!

alright guys the hard vs soft argument is settled now, we have concrete conclusive evidence

give me a break, first off a hard break in would put more revolutions on the engine, and as everyone knows piston engines increase in HP as they break in so thats no surprise anyways, im sure the soft break in cars caught up as time went on

and FYI i drove my car like i stole it off the lot, i did donuts in the BMW lot and then burned out onto the road, fact is it makes no difference

maybe we need to write it backwards for this guy to get it j/k
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 BMW 528e...

Does the owners manual not recommend a particular break in? Why do people think they know better than they guys that designed and built the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
Does the owners manual not recommend a particular break in? Why do people think they know better than they guys that designed and built the car?
FYI the guys that designed and built the car did not write the manual, not that it makes a diffrence

the same people are telling us we dont need to change the oil for 15k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Acap14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

i did the same thing and all my friends thought i was nuts.. burn outs, launching racing, donuts..cuz my theory is drive it the first day like your gonna drive it everyday. Had it dynoed and put out 288hp 290 ftlbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Unless you dynoed every car on the same dyno this info will be useless to determine if specific type of break in makes more power over another. Every dyno reads differently some are going to be SAE, standard, uncorrected. They 'll be all over the place. Not to mention the step vs. stick and the "oh, yeah that was with an exhaust", "golf tee mod" "100 octane" ones that will get thrown in there as well.

Am I wrong in thinking I heard somewhere that BMW does an initial run in to seat the rings anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

They do test every engine to redline right off the the bat so.....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
They do test every engine to redline right off the the bat so.....
yea every car hits the dyno on the factory floor to insure its in spec
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
I'dratherBdrivingmyBMW
Private
Rep

i was just looking to compile all the dyno #'s into one thread; not so much for comparison, but convenience.

i really messed up with the thread title. it should read "dyno #'s and break-in procedure". although, i think it would have yielded the same results.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, keep in mind that only the most determined of you will do a break-in that is too hard or too soft.

Only someone that can resist the temptation to floor it a few times the first few hundered miles will do a break-in so soft the rings glaze over.

And only someone doing doughnuts in the BMW lot will do a break-in so hard it scours the cylinder walls.

And even they won't notice they did anything wrong. A few hp power down from what would be possible and slightly higher oil consumption isn't that obvious.

> They do test every engine to redline right off the the bat so....

So nothing. They slowly run the car up to top speed on rolls to see if anything goes pop. It has the side-effect of seating the rings somewhat, but it's not possible to break the engine in at the factory. The fuel and time cost would be prohibitive.

There are companies offering break-in service. They professionally break in your car for you.

If you want to know if your engine was properly broken in, you need to crack it open. (Although a boroscope through the plug hole would probably allow you to see any scouring)

> i did donuts in the BMW lot and then burned out onto the road, fact is it makes no difference

If you overdid it, there's no doubt your escapade may have had a negative impact. If the engine wasn't stone cold and you went with the traffic flow on the way home, you probably didn't do any damage, But it's a theoretical discussion unless you're willing to take the pistons out to inspect the rings and cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FYI the guys that designed and built the car did not write the manual, not that it makes a diffrence

the same people are telling us we dont need to change the oil for 15k miles
Oh really? You dont think the people that composed the OWNERS MANUAL had any input for the engineers that built the car? And why not? Because you know or because you think so? BS.

Same goes for your remark on oil changes. You think 15k is beyond reason, but you dont know. Try sending a sample of your oil out for analysis 2k before its due for an oil service.

I've never seen a BMW engine fail because of the recommended oil change intervals. I've seen some nasty nasty damage from owners running beyond the recommended intervals, but even with cars approaching 200k miles, not one that has been maintained by the service indicator has shown any excessive engine wear or any sort of damage that would result from running too long on an oil change.

But if you still THINK its bogus, I guess that makes it so.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You dont think the people that composed the OWNERS MANUAL had any input for the engineers that built the car?
You forgot about the lawyers who change what the engineers say into what makes it so that it's all your fault, not theirs.

The break-in procedure outlined in the manual is the safest possible way to get going with your new car. If it said you should trash it, and you crash it, guess who'd be footing the bill?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #20
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
You forgot about the lawyers who change what the engineers say into what makes it so that it's all your fault, not theirs.

The break-in procedure outlined in the manual is the safest possible way to get going with your new car. If it said you should trash it, and you crash it, guess who'd be footing the bill?
Is that how you justify that?

On one side, we have the manufactures recommendation, journal bearings, cam lobes, the mating surfaces every gear in the transmission and differential. None of these can be machined so perfectly, especially in mass production, not to require a break in period. Bmw uses some very advanced production metheds, but nothing is perfect. No two components will fit together perfectly in mass production. They dont have time to index every single cog in the transmission or match lifters and tappets to camshaft lobes and head castings. Journal bearings need time to settle in and wear into the journals they support. The valvetrain needs to wear in under low speed operation until its using the whole lobe to open its corresponding valve. The gears in the transmission and differential need to wear into each other. Blowing this all off can cause a rapid period of wear until the components break in. Doing this hard and fast will result in looser tolerances, which means things like oil consumption, gear whine from the transmission and diff and all kinds of taps and clicks from the engine. These arent problems that will cause a break down under warranty, but these cars are going to be beat down at 75k miles. I would rather observe a reasonable break in than wilfully damage a brand new car.

Or you could just assume that BMW's lawyers made them say it needed a soft break in, despite whats best for the engine. Yeah, and the government staged 9/11 too.

I think you guys were just too impatient to do a responsible but boring break in. Its not all about seating the rings. Its true, this happens in the first few miles. I'll go engine brake down a long hill. Thats the way I was taught to do motocross bikes. My kx has only one ring to seat, so the procedure is critical. I do the same with BMW straight sixes. Go engine brake down a long hill, between 3 and 4k rpm. Then finish the rest of your 1200 miles or so while the rest of the engine and driveline wear in.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #21
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I broke my car in hard (lots of up and down the rev range accellerating and engine braking down hills, but not over 5k rpms very often), and I have had zero oil consumption so far
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I broke my car in hard (lots of up and down the rev range accellerating and engine braking down hills, but not over 5k rpms very often), and I have had zero oil consumption so far
Thats not so bad. Most of the load on things like the rod bearings and main bearings is RPM related. Engine speed is all the valvetrain cares about. But it would have been easier on the tranny to let things break in before applying full torque. You may or may not ever have any problems stemming from that though. And you probably wont have the car long enough anyway.
Appreciate 0