E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anyone heard of CQUARTZ FINEST? Glad I did!

02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Anyone heard of CQUARTZ FINEST? Glad I did!

Well what can I say, this product CQUARTZ FINEST is the best thing I have ever seen!

When Kevin @ GTA in Detail told me about this product I was only worried about the swearls on my car and when I wash it at a touchless car was I wanted the dirty to just fall off.

He mention that it would do that and more, like repelled the the dirt, and water, harden the clear coat and give the finish a richer look.

So I said to myself "Yeah right what ever, just fix what the dealership car wash fucked up on my car."

I was not expecting much, especially when he told me, he needed my car over night to cure the process.

So when he picked me up, he was telling me how well the car looked, and of course I said, "oh really!" blah, blah, blah.

But when I seen the car, I still can't believe it, I can;t put it into words.

Even the picks does not give it justice.

CQUARTZ FINEST is unbelievable!!

I have some before and after pics.

Look for yourselves!
Attached Images

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

wow looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Not bad but I do see swirls....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanye08 View Post
wow looks amazing!
Thanks I am still looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
The pics are no in order, sorry about that.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
i have ordered that kit already,i am doing my car next weekend... it is also Anti Scratch
http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

CQuartz Finest is only available from CarPro Authorized Finest Installers. It is basically the consumer version on steroids.
      02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Frickin' nice! What tire dressing is that?
      02-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23 View Post
Frickin' nice! What tire dressing is that?
LOL, I really don't know, I was so shocked at how the car looked, I forgot to ask.

I will fine out.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Some pics out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Man, that's just slicker 'n shit. Going to have to get me some. Any reviews on how much better the installed version is vs the consumer stuff? For $60/bottle it seems like a no-brainer, but the pro stuff's gotta be at least a couple hundred, yeah? Looks like it may well be worth it not to DIY.

Off topic: @farbmw, your wheels - you had someone powder coat OEMs, yeah? They look too good to be dipped but too matte to be powder coated. I'm planning to dip mine maybe next weekend, but I need to decide whether PC is eventually worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Man, that's just slicker 'n shit. Going to have to get me some. Any reviews on how much better the installed version is vs the consumer stuff? For $60/bottle it seems like a no-brainer, but the pro stuff's gotta be at least a couple hundred, yeah? Looks like it may well be worth it not to DIY.

Off topic: @farbmw, your wheels - you had someone powder coat OEMs, yeah? They look too good to be dipped but too matte to be powder coated. I'm planning to dip mine maybe next weekend, but I need to decide whether PC is eventually worth it.
The only thing I know about the one for $60 is that it does not come with a 2 year warranty, the consumer one does.

And the wheels are dipped!

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
The only thing I know about the one for $60 is that it does not come with a 2 year warranty, the consumer one does.

And the wheels are dipped!
Oh HELL yes, they look so good, like exactly what I want! The weekend can't come soon enough, so worth the $10.

I assume by consumer you mean pro? The $60 one has no warranty and the 'finest' has 2yr?

I think it still comes down to what the cost/performabce difference is. For that kind of result, it'd be worth $60 and a Saturday once every 6 months
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Oh HELL yes, they look so good, like exactly what I want! The weekend can't come soon enough, so worth the $10.

I assume by consumer you mean pro? The $60 one has no warranty and the 'finest' has 2yr?

I think it still comes down to what the cost/performabce difference is. For that kind of result, it'd be worth $60 and a Saturday once every 6 months
CQuartz Finest as it is called can only be apply by an authorized installer/detailer. The formula used is stronger and flashes much quicker than CQuartz. It works best in the hands of a pro because of the prep work that has to be done prior to the coating. Once the coating has cured, you can only remove it with compounding so the paint has to be almost flawless prior which equates to many hours of machine paint corrections and polishing. The paint also has to be clean and bare to ensure proper bonding. For this process, most detailers would chemically clean the paint after the final polishing stage.

The purpose of the coating is to protect what's underneath. The gloss you see is from the paint corrections process (hours and hours of work).
      02-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #14
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Depending on the particular coating, that's not necessarily true. Certainly for the visible scratches and whatnot it would be. But take the swirling. If the index of refraction of the cquartz is close to that of the clear coat that the swirling exists in, and if the coating does a good job filling in those micro scratches, the end result will be a much better looking coat.

Same principal behind why your car looks great wet, then all of a sudden after you totally dry it the swirling shows up.

That said, I'd like to see a head to head of finest vs $60. If it really is mainly the prep that leads to OP's final result, it's almost certainly worth not DIYing.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #15
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

In Detailing, there is a saying... a smooth surface is a glossy surface. To obtain the "Wet" look requires a extremely smooth surface. This generally requires some work since any product that fills could only get you so far.

CQuartz Finest is a great product and it will last up to 2 years. I will be doing a coating (CQuartz UK Edition) for a client in 2 weeks. Maybe I could post some pics after. Of course, the coating will only be apply after a full round of paint corrections and polishing.

Here is an example of getting a smooth surface through paint corrections/polishing. This was a 3-step process (15 hours) followed by 2 coats of sealant.

02-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
CQuartz Finest as it is called can only be apply by an authorized installer/detailer. The formula used is stronger and flashes much quicker than CQuartz. It works best in the hands of a pro because of the prep work that has to be done prior to the coating. Once the coating has cured, you can only remove it with compounding so the paint has to be almost flawless prior which equates to many hours of machine paint corrections and polishing. The paint also has to be clean and bare to ensure proper bonding. For this process, most detailers would chemically clean the paint after the final polishing stage.

The purpose of the coating is to protect what's underneath. The gloss you see is from the paint corrections process (hours and hours of work).
+1 Kevin had to keep my car over night, I dropped it off 10am Monday and picked it up Tuesday at 1pm, it is a long process but worth it.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
bimmerdreamz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Getting CQuartz soon

Hey Far - Car looks incredible! I am also considering CQuartz Finest for my car in the next couple weeks. What do you think so far? How is it holding up? Have you had washes after?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
rogers08m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
The swirls you see are int he before pictures, they are out of order.

Caveat - I had Finest applied to my vehicle by Kevin from GTA In Detail also. I am also a huge geek and did a ton, like, an absolutely insane amount of research prior to going with Finest. I think I have a very good grasp on how it works, especially after speaking with the US distributor/one of the chemists.

Finest *WILL NOT* fill in marring, even micro marring, of any sort. Not even a little. It will fill it while it is flashing; once flashed it will not. It self levels like all the other coatings on the market. Everyone I spoke to stressed the importance of the prep work.

Finest has a much higher content of SI than regular cQuartz. That means it is more hydrophobic, lasts longer, is slicker, and, unfortunately is not as forgiving to apply. That is why it is pro only (that and the warranty) - it isn't just the prep, it is the fact that it requires an IR light to cure, or cure overnight, as well as two to three thick coats, buffed off at precise intervals. If you want to DIY, the product to use is more certainly opti coat 2.0 - it is very easy to use and requires almost no cure time.

I don't think anyone mentioned the warranty - at least in Canada, currently, Finest is the only product with a tangible (and quite decent) warranty. That is part of why Carpro requires it to be applied professionally; so they know it is applied correctly.

I've had it on my car for 7 weeks, a short time, I know, but it is doing exactly what I hoped. The car is staying cleaner longer, it is easier to clean, it looks amazing, and more importantly it is harder for me to swirl it up.

I really did spend a lot of time deciding to do this and I am glad I did. It was sort of a bummer to pick up an m3 used and feel like it was used and abused. Now it is perfect; feels like I bought a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Here is mine, i applied regular CQUARTZ myself
Attached Images

Last edited by SHEEDI; 03-20-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0