E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW lowering springs?

09-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

BMW lowering springs?

Hey guys,
I was at a meet yesterday and a buddy told me that BMW was coming out with some lowering springs that lowered the car just as much as the Eibach kit does but doesn't jeopardize the ride comfort. These springs would replace the oem sport springs. Anyone heard of them or even better have a link to them? I want to lower my car as much as the Eibach pro kit does but I dont want to wear down my shocks or lose ride comfort
thanks a lot
Alex
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Well regardless of what brand you used, wouldn't lowering your car via just springs reduce the life of the oem shocks anyways?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have the BMW yellow springs with the performance kit. Very little drop in the rear, 1/2 inch drop up front.
      09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

BMW does offer performance suspension but IMO the minimal drop and slight improvement in performance does not justify the price. You have much better aftermarket options from H&R, Koni and Eibach.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
BMW does offer performance suspension but IMO the minimal drop and slight improvement in performance does not justify the price. You have much better aftermarket options from H&R, Koni and Eibach.
Agreed.
      09-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Agreed if you are looking for a bigger drop.

Depends on what else you do with it. I did the M3 arms front and back along with the BMW suspension. I did not want a big drop. It is a huge improvement. The car still has a good ride with no bounce.
      09-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post

Depends on what else you do with it. I did the M3 arms front and back along with the BMW suspension. I did not want a big drop. It is a huge improvement. The car still has a good ride with no bounce.
+1
      09-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
b1gmac88
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Well I want to drop it the same amount that the Eibach pro kit does... I saw that on a car this week and it looks like just the amount of drop i want. the thing is, i said i didnt want to have such a harsh ride and that i didnt think I wanted to go into coil overs. He said that he had come across some springs that lowered the car as much as the Eibach but did not compromise ride comfort. THOSE are what im looking for. He said hed send me the link if he comes across it again but I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone knew about them.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gmac88 View Post
Well I want to drop it the same amount that the Eibach pro kit does... I saw that on a car this week and it looks like just the amount of drop i want. the thing is, i said i didnt want to have such a harsh ride and that i didnt think I wanted to go into coil overs. He said that he had come across some springs that lowered the car as much as the Eibach but did not compromise ride comfort. THOSE are what im looking for. He said hed send me the link if he comes across it again but I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone knew about them.
The Eibach will give you the best ride for springs, but can make the car bouncy. I rode in many BMW's with just springs and thought to myself, what a waste of time and money. (for me anyways since the car didn't handle any better or worse)
      09-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post

+1

I may looking forward for that upgrade. I came from H&R for more comfort, and now that i'm at BMW performance i noticed it was almost too much comfort and no sport lol! I may try doing those M3 upgrades onto the suspension as well to compliment the BMW performance suspension kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I would suggest looking into the sophisticated set-ups that Harold at HPAutowerks has developed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I would suggest looking into the sophisticated set-ups that Harold at HPAutowerks has developed.
Would you suggest going m3 parts for my performance suspension kit on the car? I find it too comforting lol and not enough sport!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
This.

BMW is using everyone's warranty paranoia to sell overpriced, under-performing parts.
      09-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I don't think it's overpriced and underperforming. The BMW kit comes with new everything down to nuts, snubbers, rear shock upper bushings, front bar, spring rubbers, etc. I only paid $2,300 for the BMW kit with the springs, and the M3 arms front and rear. I was looking at coil overs that were around $1500 to $2500 and all were to much of a drop for me. I did not want a big drop or hard ride and I do not want to fiddle with height & settings etc. My car with this set up is a completely different animal now. It still has a good ride, firm enough that I can no longer have a cup of coffee in the cupholder. I can now rotate the car with the throttle etc. I also do not have any rattles or noises from the suspension that so many people complain about. Drive one with this set up if you can and you will be impressed how balanced the car is. I think BMW did some good tuning with this kit and the price of about $1200 without the M3 parts is not bad. Even if you were to do Koni, springs, and a front bar you will be at similar money. It just depends on what you want.