E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Comments on polish/sealant plan

04-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Comments on polish/sealant plan

After doing some reading, I'm looking for comments on this plan for my 2008 Alpine White with 100K miles. The car has never been polished; waxed/sealed occasionally - has mild neglect with mild/medium swirls. I plan to use the Griots' RO polisher.
  • Menzerna PO91EQ (Intensive White Polish) with Lake Country orange pad
  • Menzerna SF3800Q (Super Finish Plus) with Lake Country white pad
  • Menzerna Power Lock with Lake Country blue pad

Any comments? I don't need showroom quality, just an upgrade in looks and I plan to keep it sealed more religiously after this polish.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
You should be damn close to showroom with those products. You may want to try a less aggressive polish first and see if you really need to go as hard core as PO91.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
You should be damn close to showroom with those products. You may want to try a less aggressive polish first and see if you really need to go as hard core as PO91.
Glad you brought this up - this is what I was debating about my plan. But are there any downsides to going this aggressive other than loss of clear coat? Is BMW paint / clear coat especially sensitive to this aggressive of a pad?

I'm trying to balance my time with the results. I do not plan on polishing again anytime soon and if I do polish again in the next 2-3 years, I would use white pad/light cut.

Should I go in between with the Super Finish 3500 (formerly 4000) and a white pad? or orange pad?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
The product has more to do with it than the pad. You should use the orange pad with whichever cutting polish you choose.

This is a great thread:
http://www.autopia.org/forums/the-de...nce-guide.html
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not sure if you need additional opinions here...

My car was in decent shape so I got the MC 2500. I just didn't think it warranted going more aggressive. From what you said, the PO91EQ would probably be a good choice if you ask me given the age and description. It also seems like people use the FG400 for the paint condition as you described. Although that is very aggressive and you have to really know what you're doing. I guess it depends on how many steps you want to take too.

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here is a video from a while ago when I was working on an Alpine White 335i that was not in the best shape... we opted for a one-step correction to minimize costs, and Menzerna MC2500 on an orange lake country light cutting pad was the trick!

Check it out...

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB063 View Post
Not sure if you need additional opinions here...

My car was in decent shape so I got the MC 2500. I just didn't think it warranted going more aggressive. From what you said, the PO91EQ would probably be a good choice if you ask me given the age and description. It also seems like people use the FG400 for the paint condition as you described. Although that is very aggressive and you have to really know what you're doing. I guess it depends on how many steps you want to take too.
Thanks for responding! I don't mind taking some extra steps to get it right. I'm hoping this is the only cutting I'll have to do for the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Here is a video from a while ago when I was working on an Alpine White 335i that was not in the best shape... we opted for a one-step correction to minimize costs, and Menzerna MC2500 on an orange lake country light cutting pad was the trick!

Check it out...

-Zach
Thanks for responding. I ended up ordering Menzerna 3500 (and 3800, not sure I'll need that for my car though) during your Menzerna sale. I do think my paint is in similar condition as pictured - if anything it's slightly better, definitely not worse; I'll see what the 3500 does to it with an orange pad. I can always go more aggressive - right? The 3500 shouldn't cut too much that doing a 2500 later would be bad for the paint?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderhaar View Post
Thanks for responding. I ended up ordering Menzerna 3500 (and 3800, not sure I'll need that for my car though) during your Menzerna sale. I do think my paint is in similar condition as pictured - if anything it's slightly better, definitely not worse; I'll see what the 3500 does to it with an orange pad. I can always go more aggressive - right? The 3500 shouldn't cut too much that doing a 2500 later would be bad for the paint?
Correct, Menzerna SF3500 is a light polish and will not be too aggressive. If you find it is not producing the defect removal you desire, stepping up to MC2500 or even FG400 would be perfectly acceptable.

SF3500 is good to have on hand in the future as well... this light polish is great for yearly maintenance with a white polishing pad just to restore gloss

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0