E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Unpleasant surprise...

11-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
SilverE90Sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Unpleasant surprise...

My salesman called me a week or so ago stating that he had forgotton to complete the neccessary paperwork for BMW assist. He also said that he needed a credit card on file to complete the process and for convenience purposes in case of service upgrades,etc. He said there would be no charge to the account. Well, I received my statement today and there it was- $257.40 charged by BMWassist on 11/17. So should I just dispute the charge or try and let them handle it?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Sounds like your salesman is a complete moron. Call the GM of the dealership and tell them this is unacceptable. You went for some period of time without BMW Assist due to their negligence and now your account has been charged when it should not be. Demand compensation for your trouble even after they straighten it out. Like something expensive from the accessories catalog...

How new is your car? If you haven't received your BMW call yet, mention to the dealer (GM) that unless they satisfy you on this there is no way they will get anywhere near a 5 rating.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I think I'd at least give them a chance to fix their mistake before disputing. I'd be surprised if they don't correct promptly. Then, use dispute as a back up plan. Credit card issuers keep track of those things, might want to save those bullets for bigger battles, so to speak.
      11-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Just as a follow up for comparison, not only does my CA do everything right, she also set up the Sirius subscription for the new E91 to be on my same account as the E90, so that when the time comes to renew I can get the multiple device discount. She spent like an hour on the phone with Sirius getting them to understand what to do... she's a gem. Your guy sounds like a typical lazy salesman.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
SilverE90Sport
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Sounds like your salesman is a complete moron. Call the GM of the dealership and tell them this is unacceptable. You went for some period of time without BMW Assist due to their negligence and now your account has been charged when it should not be. Demand compensation for your trouble even after they straighten it out. Like something expensive from the accessories catalog...

How new is your car? If you haven't received your BMW call yet, mention to the dealer (GM) that unless they satisfy you on this there is no way they will get anywhere near a 5 rating.
Already received "the call" and boasted abouted their service! I have nothing to hold over their head except for the repeat business (family has purchased 3 vehicles from them.)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I'd still make that call. Your salesman is an idiot, and the general manager needs to know that. He also needs to make you happy.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Sounds like an honest mistake. Have the rep fix the problem. Choose your battles wisely.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
petefalzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90

I wonder if led Zep has the hots for his CA??
      11-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefalzzz
I wonder if led Zep has the hots for his CA??
I wonder if she has hots for him? After so many things she've done for him...
      11-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverE90Sport
My salesman called me a week or so ago stating that he had forgotton to complete the neccessary paperwork for BMW assist. He also said that he needed a credit card on file to complete the process and for convenience purposes in case of service upgrades,etc. He said there would be no charge to the account. Well, I received my statement today and there it was- $257.40 charged by BMWassist on 11/17. So should I just dispute the charge or try and let them handle it?
My salesman tried the same thing on me...i didn't want BMW Assist because I don't see any value in it. My salesman wanted my credit card anyway for the free 1st year (with automatic renewal of course), but I refused. He then told me he'd get in trouble if he didn't sign me up, "for legal reasons". His explanation was that if I crashed and BMW Assist didn't work because I didn't sign up for it, they could get sued. Yeah, right. Hehehe another dealer moneymaking trick foiled.

In the end, I gave him nothing, he gave up and I went on my way.

Bottom Line: If you don't want the service and never did, I suggest you dispute the bill with the dealer and your credit card carrier. Any reputable dealer will reverse the charges for you, no questions asked.

Good luck.
      11-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
petefalzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90

My CA specifically told me not to give a credit card number. He said BMW Assist would automatically bill and he thought I should be able to decide whether I wanted to renew or not. It was nice to deal with a straight shooter. Good job Atty. of calling the BS.
      11-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
First off Atty, if you have BMW Assist why would you not want it activated for the free year? That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Giving a credit card number is completely optional, and is not required for the activation and use of the first year of service. BMW Assist service plans changed after September. With my June E90, I have the option to use BMW Assist for directions, etc. at $4.95 per use. If you plan you possibly do that then it's best to give them your card number so you're not trying to fumble for a CC the first time you want to use the service. Concierge services are free and unlimited (remember.. pre-September... hey that rhymes). After September, you no longer get anything free except emergency services. They want like $125/year extra for everything else, but directions are unlimited, etc.

So it comes down to a choice of what services you might want and whether your billing is bulk up front or ala carte. Either way the charge that appeared on your card is completely unfounded. Like I said before, this guy is obviously qualified to be a car salesman (pronounced lazy and stupid).

In any event, I don't know why you wouldn't use the first year free even if it's just to know that help is on the way if you're unconcious in a ditch.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #13
SilverE90Sport
Private
Rep

Finally received a call back. The salesman said he had never heard of "them" doing this before. He then proceeded to tell me "It's not that I am being lazy but could you just activate you BMW assist by pushing the button? They will have your account info right in front of them and they will be able to credit your account for you. It will take all of 4 or 5 minutes." Really going the extra mile there.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Hmmm...I would demand a new car without the BMW Assist. If they refuse, I would drive my car through the biggest picture window you can find at the dealership. I would then stage a sit in protesting the lose of your $200+ dollars until the general manager comes out of his office and personally apologizes and then fires the client advisor in front of you............or I would just press the button the next time your driving and ask for a refund.
      11-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #15
mckimble
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman
Hmmm...I would demand a new car without the BMW Assist. If they refuse, I would drive my car through the biggest picture window you can find at the dealership. I would then stage a sit in protesting the lose of your $200+ dollars until the general manager comes out of his office and personally apologizes and then fires the client advisor in front of you............or I would just press the button the next time your driving and ask for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:07 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman
True. As battles go, this one isn't really worth waging. Simple fix by any means...

Also, looks like the salesman may be innocent, and someone at BMW Assist screwed up. After the stories we've heard about them, that's easy to believe.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #17
jpsquared
Another transplanted NY'er
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT TiAg

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't know... sounds like the CA didn't walk you thru the features like he was supposed to. When I picked up my car, they had a dedicated "tech" sit in the car with me and literally went over every button, I-Drive setting, convenience etc. that was in the car. He was knowledgeable, courteous, and when we activated the free year of BMW Assist, he flat out told me that if I didn't want to, I didn't have to give my credit card info. All I did was refuse over the connection, and all was well.

It's too bad so many dealers are such douches when it comes to little aggravating stuff like this. Really sours the experience. As soon as my BS detector goes off, I'm outta there... I love to hear them whine like babies at that point
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Yep. Stephanie always has everything ready and perfect.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #19
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
First off Atty, if you have BMW Assist why would you not want it activated for the free year? That doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Giving a credit card number is completely optional, and is not required for the activation and use of the first year of service. BMW Assist service plans changed after September. With my June E90, I have the option to use BMW Assist for directions, etc. at $4.95 per use. If you plan you possibly do that then it's best to give them your card number so you're not trying to fumble for a CC the first time you want to use the service. Concierge services are free and unlimited (remember.. pre-September... hey that rhymes). After September, you no longer get anything free except emergency services. They want like $125/year extra for everything else, but directions are unlimited, etc.

So it comes down to a choice of what services you might want and whether your billing is bulk up front or ala carte. Either way the charge that appeared on your card is completely unfounded. Like I said before, this guy is obviously qualified to be a car salesman (pronounced lazy and stupid).

In any event, I don't know why you wouldn't use the first year free even if it's just to know that help is on the way if you're unconcious in a ditch.
Understand that my CA was the kind that give salesmen a bad name. What he explained to me was that if I do the first year free, I needed to give them my CC number for activation; and after the year is up they will bill me under AUTOMATIC RENEWAL unless I affirmatively cancel. Don't want the hassle. I know I'll never call them for directions (that's why I blew a large amount of dough on Navi). I also don't plan on ending up in a ditch on a dark, rainy night like they do in the OnStar commercials. Plus, I carry a cell phone everywhere I go, which is basically the same thing. So I just don't see any value in the product.
      11-26-2005, 09:23 AM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Atty - certainly your perogitive... too bad your CA was the typical plaid sports coat type.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #21
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
too bad your CA was the typical plaid sports coat type.
Yeah, no kidding. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I'll just continue to blast him on the board..

Regards.
      11-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Be honest calm and reserved, handle the problem professionally as he will do the same in return to match your courtesy. I hope this helps.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0