E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > limp mode with catless downpipes - procede v1.47 related?

11-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

limp mode with catless downpipes - procede v1.47 related?

i had my UR catless downpipes installed about 2-3 weeks ago and ever since, i have been getting limp modes and or CELs. the CEL is not surprising - i know, especially with catless DPs, that you will get them for sure but is the limp mode normal also?

i've only gotten limp mode two times before the catless DPs but that was before i had the LBT map. after the DPs were put on i uploaded the LBT map as well, thinking it would fix the limp mode that i get more now, but it still didnt fix anything.

so basically, is it because i have catless downpipes that im going into limp? or would a DP tune with v 1.47 (which i doubt will never come out) maybe fix it, if there was such thing available?

thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

bump. please help...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Under what condition is the limp mode being triggered? Running full catless is somewhat of a crapshoot at this point, IMHO. As soon as we get our catless DPs from Riss, we'll calibrate a map and get it sorted out. Until then, I'm kinda guessing.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
i had my UR catless downpipes installed about 2-3 weeks ago and ever since, i have been getting limp modes and or CELs. the CEL is not surprising - i know, especially with catless DPs, that you will get them for sure but is the limp mode normal also?

i've only gotten limp mode two times before the catless DPs but that was before i had the LBT map. after the DPs were put on i uploaded the LBT map as well, thinking it would fix the limp mode that i get more now, but it still didnt fix anything.

so basically, is it because i have catless downpipes that im going into limp? or would a DP tune with v 1.47 (which i doubt will never come out) maybe fix it, if there was such thing available?

thanks in advance guys
where in ca are u that u need a LBT map?
i think u should insist that PROCEED fix your problem, as opposed to trying to get help in this forum. proceed should give u a faster and a better "fix".

good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
i think u should insist that PROCEED fix your problem, as opposed to trying to get help in this forum. proceed should give u a faster and a better "fix".

good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post

good luck
huh?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
huh?
didnt really make sense to me either....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
B00sted335BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

wwwhhaammmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiii.................:confus ed2
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Maybe if you switch PROCEED with Vishnu it kinda makes more sense, although im still
      11-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan eventually

obviously midlife did not read shiv's post. LIke it says, when they get their catless dp they will develop a map for the dp. Until then the proceede/dp cars will have to wait.
      11-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
didnt really make sense to me either....
+1
      11-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

shiiiiiiii nicos going limp after he's done givin his girl some DP lovin? haha

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #13
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Under what condition is the limp mode being triggered? Running full catless is somewhat of a crapshoot at this point, IMHO. As soon as we get our catless DPs from Riss, we'll calibrate a map and get it sorted out. Until then, I'm kinda guessing.

shiv
not sure what you mean when you say condition (weather, engine load, etc etc) but it happens randomly if im lets say, just crusing at 45mph in 4th or 5th gear and also seems to happen SOMETIMES after i redline 2 or 3 gears.

im planning on taking the procede out to see if i can produce the limp with the DPs only. that way it will let me know if its the downpipes or procede.

i also forgot to say that after i installed the DPs and i started encountering the limps, i disconnected the battery for 16 minutes (to reset the ECU) and i did some hard driving afterwards but still got the limp

the CEL usually happens after i restart the car to clear the limp mode. when i turn it off theres no service engine soon light but when i turn the car back on it shows up.

sometimes when i get the limp, though, the CEL also turns on at the same time....

i dont know, its all confusing but i think once V2 gets here it SHOULD fix it but who knows?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

V2 won't fix it. You are getting errors 420 & 430, which are catalyst efficiency errors. You need to buy some cat cheaters and thread them into youe rear 02 sensors on each bank.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
V2 won't fix it. You are getting errors 420 & 430, which are catalyst efficiency errors. You need to buy some cat cheaters and thread them into youe rear 02 sensors on each bank.
where can i get them, and which ones?

wonder if this would fix the limp mode problem as well...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
where can i get them, and which ones?

wonder if this would fix the limp mode problem as well...
Are you getting limp mode right after WOT shifts near redline? If so, you catless system may be generating excessive boost pressure in the intercooler pipe once the throttle closes. We addressed this in the mapping with v2. Never really had to do with with v1 due to the reduced boost pressures it runs above 5500rpm. But it is conceivable that with no cats in the system, boost can go a bit unchecked. Try the o2 sensor cheats first. They WILL fix the 420 and 430 catalyst inefficiency codes you are getting. If the limp is still induced, we can modify a v1 map to address that. But I suspect we will get dps on our car before then and see for ourselves what is needed.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #17
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Are you getting limp mode right after WOT shifts near redline? If so, you catless system may be generating excessive boost pressure in the intercooler pipe once the throttle closes. We addressed this in the mapping with v2. Never really had to do with with v1 due to the reduced boost pressures it runs above 5500rpm. But it is conceivable that with no cats in the system, boost can go a bit unchecked. Try the o2 sensor cheats first. They WILL fix the 420 and 430 catalyst inefficiency codes you are getting. If the limp is still induced, we can modify a v1 map to address that. But I suspect we will get dps on our car before then and see for ourselves what is needed.

Shiv
the limp comes on after the WOT shifts near redline when i am just cruising at normal speeds (35-50mph).

i'll look into the o2 sensor cheats and i will let you, or whomever it may concern - know if the limps go away
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

well had my procede removed today and just wanted to say that im no longer getting limp or cel. this, of course, was after 30 minutes of hard driving. ill check again tomorrow to see if theres anything but i highly doubt it....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

oh yeah and what i dont get is that the codes i was throwing were because of the downpipes but without procede im not getting them anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the limp comes on after the WOT shifts near redline when i am just cruising at normal speeds (35-50mph).

i'll look into the o2 sensor cheats and i will let you, or whomever it may concern - know if the limps go away
The limp mode is caused by an intercooler pressure spike that occurs near redline when the throttle closes. The more boost pressure you run when the throttle starts to close, the bigger the pressure spike will be. You don't get it without the PROcede because you are back to running low/stock-like boost pressures.

The v1.47 map does not have any mapping for spike suppression because it is not designed to run much boost above 6000rpm. But with downpipes, the lack of exhaust backpressure allows boost to creep up a bit higher than intended, hence the intercooler pressure spike and resultant code.

v1.48 will incorporate the spike suppression mapping (like v2.x) and will fix the issue you are seeing.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 12:11 AM   #21
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:

v1.48 will incorporate the spike suppression mapping (like v2.x) and will fix the issue you are seeing.

Shiv
nice! i actually already have V2 but just havent put it on yet (have to bring the car in for service).

so with the 2.0.2 map... i shouldnt be getting those limp/cels anymore? i have an auto btw...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
nice! i actually already have V2 but just havent put it on yet (have to bring the car in for service).

so with the 2.0.2 map... i shouldnt be getting those limp/cels anymore? i have an auto btw...
6AT huh? Ask me that tomorrow

Shiv
Appreciate 0