E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PTF UPDATE: 553WHP 631WTQ - N54 TwinTurbo World Record

11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #89
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
The great thing about a car is that you modulate power output with your foot. If someone wants to overlay the dynos of Dzenno's car on top of that supercharged M3 dyno you will see how the tq (although not flat) still is well above the tq of the flat curve from the m3.

The point of this dyno post was to show where the car is going with some tuning (not finished) on a ported head and where that can take us. As we add more timing to the top end and shift setpoints and boost a little further north you will see things flatten out.

When the tune is finished we will post the curve up again. We will be going on to e85, ms109, and different mixes and matches of these with meth as well to push the car and see what it is capable of. You all know Dzenno is not gentle with the car and you will see any and all info as he beats on it and records data for everyone to benefit from.
cant wait
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #90
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I personally dont care to much about A LOT of torque. It justs needs to be linear and controllable so I dont keep spinning tires on track/canyons

To be fair, the results of the M3 powerband are because of the centrifugal blower. If you took an N54 and tuned it to build boost linearly and peak at redline, it would look similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #91
G.I.Joe
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2008

Quote:
The great thing about a car is that you modulate power output with your foot. If someone wants to overlay the dynos of Dzenno's car on top of that supercharged M3 dyno you will see how the tq (although not flat) still is well above the tq of the flat curve from the m3.

The point of this dyno post was to show where the car is going with some tuning (not finished) on a ported head and where that can take us. As we add more timing to the top end and shift setpoints and boost a little further north you will see things flatten out.

When the tune is finished we will post the curve up again. We will be going on to e85, ms109, and different mixes and matches of these with meth as well to push the car and see what it is capable of. You all know Dzenno is not gentle with the car and you will see any and all info as he beats on it and records data for everyone to benefit from.
I think the results are awesome. Dzenno is also working on maps for my RB car, I just have to get my software updated to get further yet. As my car has 128k km on the odometer, this whole ported head thing is starting to look very interesting, promising even
E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | Pure Stage 2 turbos | Motiv PI | Trueform Tech Intake | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E85 Map | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Tial BOV | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC Steel SM Flywheel |
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #92
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Nice numbers..

The images stopped displaying for me?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #93
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

honestly, all drama aside, this isn't all that impressive to me. yes, 631 w-ft-lbs is impressive on a stock block.

look at the HP curve, though. i'm not as concerned with the 300 w-ft-lbs fall off as i am the HP peaking at 4.5k - 5k rpms. with a ported head. and upgraded turbo's.

the stock twin turbo's will carry power well into 5.5k - 6k rpms with proper tuning.

regardless, congrats on breaking the rb turbo dyno record. hopefully, PTF can tune the car more to carry HP through 6k rpms, and avoid the 4.5k rpm peak as it sits currently.

i'd be rather disappointed with this, having compared Dzenno's previous dyno graphs with RB's, where HP peaked later in the RPM range and didn't fall off so drastically.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #94
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

People are missing the point massively here. He just is utilizing the turbos max flow potential throughout the whole RPM range, with some preliminary tuning, and some big end compressor restrictions in the OEM induction tubes. He didnt do this to get the most godly powerband to ever have been seen on mother earth, he again did it to begin a path of extracting all forced airflow potential across the RPM band and to see where things go with more refined tuning and removing some obvious (yet simple) hardware limitations (ie. inlet tubes). The cylinder heads/CR reduction seem to have given him a very big window opening to tune further per octane level as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #95
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

so, turbo inlet pipes are required to carry HP past 4.5k rpms? not a ported head or upgraded turbo's. honestly, in my opinion, this shows the strengths (and weaknesses) of the RB turbo's. they're midrange monsters. upper RPM's though, same story as it has been for the past few years. the turbo housings are too restrictive at upper RPM's. power falls off, EGT's probably are higher, etc.

for me, if i was going to spend thousands of dollars on my e92 for a ported head, RB turbo's, install, etc......i'd just the same get a single turbo kit. that power band is better suited for drag racing and 60-130's.

i will say that RB turbo's with their massive midrange power probably make for an excellent street car.

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #96
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
People are missing the point massively here. He just is utilizing the turbos max flow potential throughout the whole RPM range, with some preliminary tuning, and some big end compressor restrictions in the OEM induction tubes. He didnt do this to get the most godly powerband to ever have been seen on mother earth, he again did it to begin a path of extracting all forced airflow potential across the RPM band and to see where things go with more refined tuning and removing some obvious (yet simple) hardware limitations (ie. inlet tubes). The cylinder heads/CR reduction seem to have given him a very big window opening to tune further per octane level as well.
Very well put.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #97
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Then it is settled for you then, get r done!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #98
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

this is an older dyno from Dzenno. just posting to illustrate how the powerband has shifted with the dyno in the OP. not stirring the pot, just posting my observations.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #99
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes. Read what I just wrote quite a few times. Then compare the OPs dyno vs. that one. Eventually you will get the drift of what is going on here.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #100
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Yes. Read what I just wrote quite a few times. Then compare the OPs dyno vs. that one. Eventually you will get the drift of what is going on here.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #101
BmwECY
Banned
Rep

i'll reserve any future comments until PTF shows a similar powerband with RB turnbo's, with more than 450whp at 6k rpms. please, i'd love to be proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #102
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Are you going to end up replacing the stock ones? or just going to replace the broken one with another stock one?
If I wasn't leaving the country next week for vacation, I would have waited for upgraded shafts, but I need to send DSS working driveshafts as core. so regardless I need another stocker. I would look for used ones, but I just don't have the time, so FFTEC is putting on a stock one and I need to just be a hair easier on the car until I upgrade them. Also I am looking into suspension upgrades to reduce wheel hop, which should help keeping the stock half shafts intact.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #103
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
i'll reserve any future comments until PTF shows a similar powerband with RB turnbo's, with more than 450whp at 6k rpms. please, i'd love to be proven wrong.
.... 500whp at 6k in the first post....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #104
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
The car is making 500whp at 6000rpms in the dyno we posted.

You guys are missing the point. This isn't a final tune. This was Dzenan playing on the dyno. To flatten out the tq curve and shift hp higher it will just require moving some setpoints north and carrying the timing to redline. When you jump on a dyno at night and the operator doesn't want to stay until midnight you can only get so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #105
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
.... 500whp at 6k in the first post....
lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #106
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Same graph, highlighted.

Quote:
The car is making 500whp at 6000rpms in the dyno we posted.

You guys are missing the point. This isn't a final tune. This was Dzenan playing on the dyno. To flatten out the tq curve and shift hp higher it will just require moving some setpoints north and carrying the timing to redline. When you jump on a dyno at night and the operator doesn't want to stay until midnight you can only get so far.
I hear ya. There is always room for improvement especially when dealing with time constraints.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #107
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

I'd be surprised if much more can be gained in the top... but very anxious to see. The low CR will hurt top end (and maybe all around). When the restriction is turbo flow, you can't supplement with O2.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #108
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just my personal opinion but dropping the CR isn't exactly helping.
      11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #109
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

People definitely also need to consider that turbo upgrades such as RBs were not meant to be the end all be all. From the end users perspective they are a simple bolt on that is supposed to give quite a bit more bang. There most definitely is a point, pending on ones goals, that you simply just need to dump it all in the garbage... and go bigger. Bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #110
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It is too preliminary to judge, but the head mods as we may later learn really cause the N54 as a whole to BEG for a large single. I have always felt that there will be major gains from a very high quality head mod for those guys with the ST.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Just my personal opinion but dropping the CR isn't exactly helping.
Appreciate 0