E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

04-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #463
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safi View Post
quick question here. I have a 03/2007 build with 81,500 miles, can i take the car in to get the turbos replaced even if they are good?
Take it in and have it checked out, but most likely no, they do not replace good turbos for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #464
llbarnes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Wastegate rattle warranty update.

335i went in Wednesday April 2nd to evaluate the wastegates. Later that afternoon they called to give us the news.

TWO BRAND NEW TURBOS HAVE BEEN APPROVED under the extended warranty specifically for the wastegate rattle!!

Not a zero dime will be required and should have the car back on Friday.

Yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llbarnes View Post
We bought our 2007 BMW 335i back in January from Bert Smith BMW in Saint Petersburg.

I do recall hearing the rattle at start up during the test drive but didn't think anything of it.

Today being April 1st, it was about a month ago or so that we began getting service engine lights and the limp mode warning on the engine and seemed like the power went away too.

We also noticed the rattle and like everyone else narrowed it down to the turbos/wastegate.

After much searching, we of course ran across the extended warranty last week and thought I would just give Bert Smith a call and ask if it pertained to us.

Sure enough, the service manager said it did and it would cost $132 for a diagnostic to determine if the noise is in fact coming from the wastegate. If it is determined that it is the wastegate, then no charge at all and it will all be taken care of.

Well, our appointment is tomorrow, April 2nd, and they even have a courtesy car ready for my wife when she drops off her car.

I'll keep everyone informed of the outcome. Crossing our fingers cause we don't like this car as much as we use to because the noise it embarrassing and not was you would expect from a BMW... Especially a 335i.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #465
Skatin707
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Glad to hear that worked out for you Barnes. I'm kind of screwed in a different way. I live in Honolulu, HI. We have ONE BMW dealership. I've got an appointment with them Tuesday, fingers crossed they don't try to mess around and get out of it.

I am kind of worried about my downpipes being aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #466
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

at least some of you get this sorted out.
in canada this doesn't apply as we are retarded or something.

same car, same engine, same problem but bmw turn deaf ear on us.
Nice bmw, nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #467
pjb330ci
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Please call me @ 323.836-3539....think we have the same issue...up here in the SFV...took it to Century West (who are an evil entity) shop foreman heard the rattle, but could not isolate, they said. Need it for a period of time, they said. Why do these people not read or think WE don't read forums for these types of issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #468
Jman718
Registered
Rep
Drives: g35

Hello everyone,

I have been looking into getting a 335 for a while now. I have recently come across this wastegate rattle that has been so common. One of the cars I have been looking at, the guy has told me that the turbo does have a slight rattle and he has checked into at the deal and was told it is "normal". I then did some researching and came across this thread and the fact they extended a warranty for this type of issue. I have read through all the pages on the forum as well as other others.

Here is the questions I could not find answers to. If anyone has some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

So first off I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue in the Chicago area and possibly gone to Perillo.

Also I am wondering if you do perhaps get your turbos replaced, are they just new ones of the original or are they are a new design to prevent the rattle from returning. Also regarding that, I have heard some people say the dealer might change the computer settings to give the car less power which could get rid of the rattle. So would getting brand new turbos possibly slow the car down?

If you knew a 335 you were looking at had this problem would you pass on the car? Should one expect never ending problems with it. Or would I be able to take it into a dealer and get them install new turbos under the warranty and problem solved.

Like I said any help at all whatever regarding this situation would be very helpful. Even if it isn't something I discussed, if it pertains, please share.

Lastly, the car is 2009 335xi with 44,000 on it. He said it rattles but only when its started up, then supposedly it goes away.

I plan on checking it out, just figured I would look into it as much as possible before.

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #469
grindhardtoshinehard
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 (07 convertible)

Angry

This is a nightmare... intermittent loss of boost in normal driving conditions (acceleration at 20-40% increase), legit rattle, and occasional mini smoke bombs when approaching speed bumps or at any other reason for decrease of speed under 10 mph. I was just at A DEALER TODAY and they basically told me they couldn't reproduce the problem.. loong story short, i have a video of the rattle, video of intermittent smoke from exhaust, and my 335i e93 was built 08/2007.... time is running out.. please let me know what you had to do.. I spoke to bmw na and after convincing the initial person (via having her listen to the noise while idling and talking to her like an adult), i was basically told that bmw na has the ability to speak with the dealer and regional manager on my behalf, and presumably on my side, but nothing more. I was told it is totally the dealers desecration. I find this really hard to believe, because as a Honda tech, I was replacing odyssey transmissions with upwards of 200k, far out of warranty because Honda likes it's

Please give me the best instruction you have on this, as I felt as if I played it out as best I could, in the most non threatening manor possible, and now am about to resort to shopping service centers until i find a pushover. Thank you for any information you may provide.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #470
grindhardtoshinehard
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 (07 convertible)

Quote:
335i went in Wednesday April 2nd to evaluate the wastegates. Later that afternoon they called to give us the news.

TWO BRAND NEW TURBOS HAVE BEEN APPROVED under the extended warranty specifically for the wastegate rattle!!

Yay!!
where the hell did you go???? im in palm beach county!! IVista screwed me hard.. im gonna go to wpb tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #471
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
I'm at 56k miles and praying my wastegates start rattling so I can get this done before I hit 8 years.
      06-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #472
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Good thing I looked this up!! Brought my car in yesterday and I get a call from my SA saying the turbos were shot..I said Sh*T im screwed. He said, hey, but I talked to our rep they will cover the parts you just pay for labor $1,700. Now I am thinking, that is awesome!!. Then, I look and find out that they should be covered. I have maybe 84k miles on my car and my Half Engine light has come on once a week for about 2 months along with the loud waste gate rattle. I didnt bother with it. Had I known there was this warranty I would have replaced them long ago. Now I had to call BMW North America so they can look into getting this fully covered. If they dont they can consider my 3k downpayment on an M4 pulled! ok end of rant.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #473
itsneight
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silver 335i sport 6-spd

So what is the highest mileage they are willing to warranty the part/problem?

I have 121k on my 12/2007 built 2008 335i sport 6 speed. Got codes recently for turbo malfunction and have lots of wastegate rattle. Its basically stock with no aftermarket parts.

Will my car still be warrantied?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #474
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsneight View Post
So what is the highest mileage they are willing to warranty the part/problem?

I have 121k on my 12/2007 built 2008 335i sport 6 speed. Got codes recently for turbo malfunction and have lots of wastegate rattle. Its basically stock with no aftermarket parts.

Will my car still be warrantied?
I don't think so, I believe it is only up to 82k miles for turbos and up to 120k for fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #475
BMRSEB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 SR+

Quote:

Yay!!
I guess I should consider myself lucky? Bought it used w/92K, 01/07 Build, E90. Both Turbo's, HPFP, Wastegates replaced under warranty about 40K miles ago. I do hear a little rattle only at startup, I guess some noise is common??
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #476
Dbimmaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6 MT

Another Canadian victim of the dreaded wastegate rattle issue .. Purchased my car about 3 month ago privately in the GTA area. I had a mechanic with me to look at the car and it proved to be fairly well maintained with all dealer records and came with an extended power train warranty until 160,000 km or 8 years(Third party warranty). The car is an 08 e90 335i 6 MT with 70,000 miles (or about 110,000 km for us Canadians). As soon as I started to drive the car daily I noticed the so called tin can like sounds mostly on deceleration from about 1500 rpm and down. Since then the sound has become noticeably louder and I can hear it on acceleration as well now.. Before I purchased the vehicle I was aware of this problem but didn't realize how common it really was.. Ive taken the car to a reputable independent shop in my area who are an authorized bmw repair center.. The Shop contacted the warranty company only to find out the turbo's were somehow not covered under my third party warranty ..Ive also contacted bmw Canada and they are apparently unaware of the issue and don't plan on rectifying it.. Now im out of pocket or im just guna have to live with the sound...( Frustrated to say the least )

If anyone can be of any help Id appreciate it..

Last edited by Dbimmaz; 07-11-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #477
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i xDrive

I am in the market for an older 335i coupe, but the old thing stopping me is this known issue with the fuel pump. If I get an 08/09/10, when would I be under warranty till for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #478
fl0wmastr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Coupe w M Sport Kit

Garage List
07 BMW 335i  [10.00]
llbarnes, who was your service advisor at Berth Smith? Does Bert Smith give a free loaner cars? Is there any reason you didn't go to Ferman BMW? Ferman should be closer to you in Clearwater.

Quote:

Yay!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #479
headhunterz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

I contacted Seattle BMW about my EX-US car imported into Canada, they said that I can take advantage of the turbo warranty apparently. Although my rattle is very faint I may have to take it down one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #480
Zach1328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i / 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I contacted Seattle BMW about my EX-US car imported into Canada, they said that I can take advantage of the turbo warranty apparently. Although my rattle is very faint I may have to take it down one day.
Thats my plan too. I'm at 78k miles and I have a faint rattle on start-up and then at low RPMs too. I've got about 5 dealerships within ~30 minutes of me so hopefully one of them will be willing.

Otherwise I'll be up in Colorado in a month or so and I'll try all the dealerships up there too. Hopefully at least one will honor the extended warranty.
Would make me feel much better about my turbos lasting another 2 years until I upgrade to RBs or whatever other TT kits are available at that time.
Mods: JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, Phoenix PI Manifold, Dual Walbro 450 LPFP's, DCI, VRSF DP's, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP + TiAL BOV, VRSF inlets & aluminum outlets, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms, M3 subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #481
GuitarDTO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

What does fixing this cost if your car is out of warranty? Mine has 82k on it now, but I don't have any symptoms of a problem. Just wondering what I should prepare myself for.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #482
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
What does fixing this cost if your car is out of warranty? Mine has 82k on it now, but I don't have any symptoms of a problem. Just wondering what I should prepare myself for.
Not 100% sure but maybe $1k for factory turbos and $1500-$2000 in labor?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #483
headhunterz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1328 View Post
Thats my plan too. I'm at 78k miles and I have a faint rattle on start-up and then at low RPMs too. I've got about 5 dealerships within ~30 minutes of me so hopefully one of them will be willing.

Otherwise I'll be up in Colorado in a month or so and I'll try all the dealerships up there too. Hopefully at least one will honor the extended warranty.
Would make me feel much better about my turbos lasting another 2 years until I upgrade to RBs or whatever other TT kits are available at that time.
My car is only at 47K miles but its an 07 so the 8 years is coming up real soon.. I can hear a real faint tin can rattle upon deceleration or down shifting. They told me that it would cost me $$$ for them to diagnose it first and if it isn't the wastegates then I'd be on the hook for the diagnosis fees. However if they are indeed the problem then its covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #484
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Does this cover anyone even if youre not the original owner of the vehicle? I just purchased my 09 335i in february and would like to know if im covered or not?
Appreciate 0