E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix FMIC Install Question

11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Helix FMIC Install Question

First off, thanks ahead of time for any and all help. I did search before and just wanted to clarify some things.

I saw a thread where "#5 had to be removed" for the FMIC to fit snugly. What is that part? I'm having touble having mine fit in well. This stems from the problem of the star bolt on the passenger side not lining up correctly.

As for fitment, the FMIC looks like it fits about 1/4" below the bumper. That is, before the plastic shield gets put back on. I saw someone's pictures of their install and looks about the same. Is that normal?

After putting the hoses on a couple times, I've noticed mine looks way too long and I already trimmed about 1/2" and it still is too long. Did anyone else trim the silicone hose on the driver side?

Thanks again guys!
      11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
I know that in my install the Helix intercooler sits about a 1/4 inch below the stock intercooler and that seems to be normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
I know that in my install the Helix intercooler sits about a 1/4 inch below the stock intercooler and that seems to be normal.
Great thanks! Did you have any trouble getting any of the bolts lined up? My driver side lines up fine but the passenger side one looks to be off by about an inch and nothing's gonna budge.
      11-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
Here's the part I removed, but I believe it was on the driver's side, and how the IC looked before I buttoned everything back up. I don't believe I had to do any trimming, of the hoses or bumper/frame, to get mine in. (2007 coupe)

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Here is a link to the helix website where you can find the FMIC install video.
There is definitely a small plastic snap in that needs to be removed on the passenger side that can be causing your hang up. Yes it's normal fo the lowest charge tubes to be under the plastic cowl-exactly the same as stock!
http://www.helix13.com/3-series-bmw/engine-exhaust/#go
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
newa///M
Newa335
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT / 08' 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
First off, thanks ahead of time for any and all help. I did search before and just wanted to clarify some things.

I saw a thread where "#5 had to be removed" for the FMIC to fit snugly. What is that part? I'm having touble having mine fit in well. This stems from the problem of the star bolt on the passenger side not lining up correctly.

As for fitment, the FMIC looks like it fits about 1/4" below the bumper. That is, before the plastic shield gets put back on. I saw someone's pictures of their install and looks about the same. Is that normal?

After putting the hoses on a couple times, I've noticed mine looks way too long and I already trimmed about 1/2" and it still is too long. Did anyone else trim the silicone hose on the driver side?

Thanks again guys!

OP, I received my IC this past Friday from Helix as a part of their Fall Group Buy.

Like you, my hose (elbow) seems to be longer too. I noticed it after installation. I think I will have to cut mine because the charge pipe that connects to the elbow is sitting about 1" 1/2 to 2" higher than the rubber gromet it is supposed to be resting on... It is bothering me because the charge pipe is not secured by the gromet and it rocks back and forth under load. I dont want it coming in contact with the pulley which is only few inches away.

My IC sits about 1/4" below the bumper as well. It does not sit flush against the radiator. A plastic fin on the bottom part of the bumper seems to be the culprit causing the IC to slightly tilt forward. This member had to do some minor grinding to get it to fit perfectly with no air gaps <http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97209&highlight=Helix+bumper>

As far as the star bolts are concerned, the one on the passenger side did not line up for me either. I used my jack to lift the IC to line up on the passenger side, put the star bolt and made couple of turns by hand and then alingned the driver side and bolted both of them.

I'm not happy with the way it is sitting right now so I might take the bumper off, grind the plastic fin and cut the extra length from the elbow hose.
      11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newa335 View Post
OP, I received my IC this past Friday from Helix as a part of their Fall Group Buy.

Like you, my hose (elbow) seems to be longer too. I noticed it after installation. I think I will have to cut mine because the charge pipe that connects to the elbow is sitting about 1" 1/2 to 2" higher than the rubber gromet it is supposed to be resting on... It is bothering me because the charge pipe is not secured by the gromet and it rocks back and forth under load. I dont want it coming in contact with the pulley which is only few inches away.

My IC sits about 1/4" below the bumper as well. It does not sit flush against the radiator. A plastic fin on the bottom part of the bumper seems to be the culprit causing the IC to slightly tilt forward. This member had to do some minor grinding to get it to fit perfectly with no air gaps <http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97209&highlight=Helix+bumper>

As far as the star bolts are concerned, the one on the passenger side did not line up for me either. I used my jack to lift the IC to line up on the passenger side, put the star bolt and made couple of turns by hand and then alingned the driver side and bolted both of them.

I'm not happy with the way it is sitting right now so I might take the bumper off, grind the plastic fin and cut the extra length from the elbow hose.
Thanks for your info! I'm going to cut the elbow a bit more. I already trimmed about 1/4" I'll probably cut anywhere from another 1/4" to 1/2". The elbow itself was squished pretty badly and there's no way it would perform well enough.

I'll have to take a look at the star bolts tonight too. I'm a bit anal about installs myself. If it's not perfect, something's wrong.

Also just found out I have an oil leak somewhere. Good luck with your install!

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated.
      11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
tonyVCF
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG w/ SS

I just installed the intercooler this weekend. In addition to the piece #5, there is an additional flat plastic piece that will snap out. Look at where the front right (passenger) edge is hitting - causing the passenger side to not align. That plastic that it is pushing against is what needs to be popped out. After that, the install is pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I just decided to drill a new hole in the plastic and bolted it from there. Leaves about 1/4" gap on the passenger side radiator fan but overall I'm happy with it. Thanks again for all the help everyone!