E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW XI's any good?

11-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #45
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

the 335XI I drove in montreal in the winter felt better than the Mercedes S550 4-matic system in the same conditions. Obviously the BMW is way more fun to drive, but the awd on the BMWis just really good in general. As good as Audi's Quattro system if not better in recent BMW models.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #46
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Hi there. MT RWD purist here.

Let me tell you, in the church of RWD purists, today I'm an atheist. My faith in RWD has been shattered, or at least seriously tested. Last night here in The northeast we had a pretty decent snow storm, and I got caught driving home in the thick of the snow fall. I have yet to put my snow tires on, and let me tell you, RWD with all seasons + snow is no fun. I got stuck 5 different times, and i consider myself a pretty decent driver. I seriously considered locking up my car up and leaving it on the side of the road. It was horrendous. Others did just that. Cars were locked up and left like carnage on the sides of the road.

It's no secret that RWD cars stink in slippery conditions, but this was something else. Cars were littered on both sides of the road. Almost exclusively RWD cars. Nice bimmers, infinity, Lexus, ... Only a couple of front wheel drivers. But it got me thinking, is it worth it? Is it worth driving an rear wheel drive car the whole year, and risk getting caught in a ditch on the side of the road, in sub freezing temperatures and icy conditions once or twice a year if driving conditions suddenly turn sour? I think that's they question you should ask yourself. To me, the answer is definitely not. My next car will likely be an xDrive.

Now ... My last bimmer (e46 330xi) was all wheel. Guess what ... it drives just like a BMW. Sure, there is a difference in driving feel. By how much you ask? I would say not enough to matter, if you live anywhere near a snow fall zone. It's just not worth it. Seriously. BMW engineers its xDrive cars with a RWD bias (62% RWD to 38% front wheels if I remember correctly), so it really comes down to personal perception. It feels nothing like a jeep and surely nothing like my wife's Subaru outback or any proper all wheel car. It still drives like a true BMW. As a bonus, you can drive it year round, and will likely not need snow tires (I saw you live in NY). AND what a lot of people will not tell you is that all wheel drive cars enjoy soooooo much more grip on dry and wet roads, it more than makes up for the so-rumored "sporty RWD feel", and will be MUCH quicker to accelerate off the line.

Also, xDrives will become more costly to maintain out of warranty, so something to consider.

I have snow tires, but they were not scheduled to go on for another week. They're sitting in my garage right now, looking all pretty. This storm was forecast to bring anywhere from 1-2 inches of snow, so naturally, people in New England would shrugg that off. Well, we ended up with 10 inches of snow and ice. Will you be prepared?
Good post. I like your atheist opinions :P
      11-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #47
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
XI is pretty good, you'll enjoy it. Beware of all the MT+RWD purists on here.....

Hi there. MT RWD purist here.

Let me tell you, in the church of RWD purists, today I'm an atheist. My faith in RWD has been shattered, or at least seriously tested. Last night here in The northeast we had a pretty decent snow storm, and I got caught driving home in the thick of the snow fall. I have yet to put my snow tires on, and let me tell you, RWD with all seasons + snow is no fun. I got stuck 5 different times, and i consider myself a pretty decent driver. I seriously considered locking up my car up and leaving it on the side of the road. It was horrendous. Others did just that. Cars were locked up and left like carnage on the sides of the road.

It's no secret that RWD cars stink in slippery conditions, but this was something else. Cars were littered on both sides of the road. Almost exclusively RWD cars. Nice bimmers, infinity, Lexus, ... Only a couple of front wheel drivers. But it got me thinking, is it worth it? Is it worth driving an rear wheel drive car the whole year, and risk getting caught in a ditch on the side of the road, in sub freezing temperatures and icy conditions once or twice a year if driving conditions suddenly turn sour? I think that's they question you should ask yourself. To me, the answer is definitely not. My next car will likely be an xDrive.

Now ... My last bimmer (e46 330xi) was all wheel. Guess what ... it drives just like a BMW. Sure, there is a difference in driving feel. By how much you ask? I would say not enough to matter, if you live anywhere near a snow fall zone. It's just not worth it. Seriously. BMW engineers its xDrive cars with a RWD bias (62% RWD to 38% front wheels if I remember correctly), so it really comes down to personal perception. It feels nothing like a jeep and surely nothing like my wife's Subaru outback or any proper all wheel car. It still drives like a true BMW. As a bonus, you can drive it year round, and will likely not need snow tires (I saw you live in NY). AND what a lot of people will not tell you is that all wheel drive cars enjoy soooooo much more grip on dry and wet roads, it more than makes up for the so-rumored "sporty RWD feel", and will be MUCH quicker to accelerate off the line.

Also, xDrives will become more costly to maintain out of warranty, so something to consider.

I have snow tires, but they were not scheduled to go on for another week. They're sitting in my garage right now, looking all pretty. This storm was forecast to bring anywhere from 1-2 inches of snow, so naturally, people in New England would shrugg that off. Well, we ended up with 10 inches of snow and ice. Will you be prepared?
Oh god yes, I've been there. The most helpless feeling in the world.
Debating whether to get 17 inch wheels with Blizzaks from Tire Rack for around 1350 or just get a beater car with front-wheel-drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #48
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I've owned an Audi with Quattro (torsen version) and now have a 335xi. Both cars had stock suspension at one point and coilovers at one point. Both cars had summer tires and snow tires. Overall I rank the BMW the best in dry conditions, a tie in wet conditions and the Audi in snow and ice conditions.

The BMW with xi/x drive and snow tires drives very well in the snow and I have had zero problems getting around in Minnesota winters. That being said, I really miss taking the Audi out in fresh snowfall. I would look forward to snow just so I could drive around. I just don't get that same feeling with the BMW.
      11-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #49
chrisbreezy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Kinda looking forward to our next snowfall here out east now that I have an XI to rely on for getting around. What a difference from a RWD to an AWD. Should have pulled the trigger on one of these a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #50
antonreality
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbreezy View Post
Kinda looking forward to our next snowfall here out east now that I have an XI to rely on for getting around. What a difference from a RWD to an AWD. Should have pulled the trigger on one of these a long time ago.
Me too I use to drive RWD cars(always used snow tires), switched to FWD (1 vehicle with Snow tires and 1 without) and now 328 AWD (no snow tires planned). In the rain, it accelerate great. Yesterday, it was rainy and a Dodge Challenger pulled up to me at the lights. He tried to accelerate quickly and was spinning his rear wheels. Next set of lights, I figured let's do a experiment and nailed it. He spun again and I was able to take off with no problems. Next set of lights, same thing but this time I nailed it. I was simply amazed but not surprised at how well the BMWers traction control worked.

Just waiting for some snow to test it out. Need to teach my wife how to drop it to DS mode and downshift to slow the car down for better braking in snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #51
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i

x1 is pretty nice but I liked the x3 more, it was just more spacious and I liked to layout a little more. I would go for the x3 if the price difference isn't too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #52
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

my x drive failed me last year. had to be pulled out with the hook

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
chrisbreezy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlam View Post
my x drive failed me last year. had to be pulled out with the hook

How did that happen?? Looking at the pic, doesn't seem like it was anything xdrive couldn't handle...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #54
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How did that happen?? Looking at the pic, doesn't seem like it was anything xdrive couldn't handle...
i usually don't carry a shovel around due to the fact that i rely on my x drive. however, this time i decided to go straight in and my car was lifted on snow and i couldnt even get out with 8 guys pushing it! plus, there wasnt even much! oh canadian winters!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #55
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Love my XI. Of course I live in Calgary and we've had 25 cms of snow this week. Honestly, if I didn't live where I do, I'd go with the RWD. But for me, I'll take the minor tradeoffs in ultimate performance for the year-round enjoyment I get out of my car.

Of course, I would never buy a 335xi that wasn't a manual and didn't have the sport package. With the XI + snow tires + manual this car is easy to drive in the winter. Not as fun as my previous WRX, but close.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #56
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Let me bet... summer or all season...
      11-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #57
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Let me bet... summer or all season...
actually winter tires! in fact, they are michelin and i got them 2 years ago! winter tires are mandatory in quebec or else you get a ticket if a cop catches you on all seasons.

plus they are a must in the winter conditions we experience over here.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #58
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
actually winter tires! in fact, they are michelin and i got them 2 years ago! winter tires are mandatory in quebec or else you get a ticket if a cop catches you on all seasons.

which Michelins were these ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #59
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
which Michelins were these ?
michelin pilot alpin. got them at costco
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:

Wow... Sorry man.

Do you guys have glue instead of snow...

Michelin doesn't had a good name for winter tires here in Europe for a long time... They did catch up a bit...
      11-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #61
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow... Sorry man.

Do you guys have glue instead of snow...

Michelin doesn't had a good name for winter tires here in Europe for a long time... They did catch up a bit...
hahaa im a girl, not a man!
i guess my car was mounted on a layer of snow and i had no traction whatsoever! we get layers of snow, ice, slush rain and etc... our winters are bad in montreal at times !

which do you use??
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #62
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:

You just have a dud for an x drive! I have blizzaks on my x drive and I look for snow :-)

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #63
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
You just have a dud for an x drive! I have blizzaks on my x drive and I look for snow :-)
i cant imagine what would have happened if i didn't have x drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #64
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
hahaa im a girl, not a man!
i guess my car was mounted on a layer of snow and i had no traction whatsoever! we get layers of snow, ice, slush rain and etc... our winters are bad in montreal at times !

which do you use??
Sorry... You girls are also represented on this forum...

I have ContiWinterContact 830 non-RFT... Pretty happy with them
      11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #65
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry... You girls are also represented on this forum...

I have ContiWinterContact 830 non-RFT... Pretty happy with them
We are a minority i guess!

Thanks, I'll keep continental in mind. I sold it just two weeks ago! Onto the next BMW possibly (or Audi)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #66
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
We are a minority i guess!

Thanks, I'll keep continental in mind. I sold it just two weeks ago! Onto the next BMW possibly (or Audi)
The girls (and ladies ) on this board are the bigger car fanatics then 80% of the rest... You have my respect

I had to take the contis because my tire dealer was short on winter tires in my size... But they did there job good last winter...