E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > £1500 Wastegate Diagnosis!!

11-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
veearrsix
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 Porsche Turbo, Polar Silver

£1500 Wastegate Diagnosis!!

Hi all,

I have a 2006 335i with 55k, un-modded which I have owned since 20k miles and not driven it hard (honestly!). It is currently out of warranty.

It went in for a CBS oil service and the dealership highlighted a potential problem with the turbo/wastegate, so far nothing unusual or unexpected...

I agreed to a nominal charge for a diagnosis, and was told that the first course of action was a software update, again so far nothing really unexpected...

I agreed to have the software update done (at a cost to myself, bloody expensive considering they plug it in and let it do its stuff!!)

The dealership had been in contact with me all the way through this process telling me they thought I was a good candidate for a good will claim to have the turbo's replaced (I had obviously told them I was aware of the common problem of wastegate rattle)

Then the bombshell...

The dealership tells me that BMW have instructed them that the next stage of diagnosis is to remove the turbo's from the car and attempt to do a 'Manual Adjustment' of the wastegates to rectify the rattle at a cost of £1500 + vat!!!

Obviously I told them I was not going to authorise that work, as £1500 to tighten the rod on the wastegate only for the rattle to come back in a month or 2 is ridiculous.

I have contacted BMW customer service and they have pretty much fobbed me off saying that "If BMW technical has instructed the dealership they need to do this work to diagnose the problem, then theres nothing else that can be done"

Has anyone else has a similar experience? Has anyone managed to get a good will claim without having to spend £1500 to do so?

Currently my only cause of action is to get a set of recon turbo units and do the job myself, which I am dreading!! I'm handy with spanners, but this is by all accounts a fairly epic job.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

lol tell them that you dont want them to do that. Normally they change the turbos completely at their own cost if there is rattle and a will claim is filed.
Really thats BS.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
veearrsix
Private
Rep

I spoke to BMW customer service and told them it was unacceptable, and that the turbo/wastegate problem was clearly a known common issue, but they just re-iterated that they need to do the diagnosis at a cost of £1500 before a good will claim will be honoured.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veearrsix View Post
I spoke to BMW customer service and told them it was unacceptable, and that the turbo/wastegate problem was clearly a known common issue, but they just re-iterated that they need to do the diagnosis at a cost of £1500 before a good will claim will be honoured.
i would pull the car out of there. if the car runs fine is just rattle that everybody has and can probably be cured with software or tune.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
veearrsix
Private
Rep

I've already taken the car back, it's had the software update to 'cure' the rattle, however the rattle is still there.

I want to sell the car, but I don't want to pass the problem onto someone else.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

This can be fixed by adjusting the actuators in some cases.
Try contacting Birds Auto for proper advice
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

well if you are selling the car than add that to the price, easier to sell with new turbos from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

I just got 7000$ in Parts and Labor for Free with my BMWNA New turbos claim, and BMWNA ran the whole thing they told the shop to send them diagnostics and what not, The diagnostics (if they found parts or what ever) would be charged to me at a cost of $210 dollars and they wouldnt do the work unless I told them to. They are completely ripping you off Diagnosis is a flat rate of 2 hours of labor and a small fee to use the computer. PLUS on top of all this your turbos are covered under the new Service bulletin that got a lot of us BRAND NEW TURBOS (caused by failing wastegates) I dont know why any BMW dealer would push anyone away they make money no mater what?!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

He's from London BMWNA doesn't cover there In either case your dealership should be smart enough to get around this by just telling BMW that they did the adjustment and it did not resolve the issue. They should know they aren't going to get 1500 for something stupid like that out of a customer that may not even work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
He's from London BMWNA doesn't cover there In either case your dealership should be smart enough to get around this by just telling BMW that they did the adjustment and it did not resolve the issue. They should know they aren't going to get 1500 for something stupid like that out of a customer that may not even work.
Exactly, u lucky in the US since you can take a bird to court because it shit on your shoulder. In EU we dont get all those easy/free recalls
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

I paid £1500+vat to replace my turbos.

Piss takers!
      11-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
veearrsix
Private
Rep

Well, I spoke to BMW customer service this morning, they said they would contact the dealership to discuss the situation and then get back to me. Not heard from them, so I will probably have to go through the same infuriating call with the next drone in the call centre tomorrow!!

I hinted to the dealership that it doesn't matter where the money comes from, whether it's me or BMW for the work, as long as they got some work out of it, but they didn't bite. They were happy for me to take the car back, so long as they mentioned on the invoice for my service that they had made me aware of a possible turbo defect, cheers guys!!

I think i'm at the point know, where I need to price up doing the replacement (with recon units) myself. I've also seen on the ecs website, thats its possible to buy brand new wastegates for just over $30 each. Does anyone know if this would fix the problem?

Alternatively, I guess I could just upgrade the turbo's, does anyone know how much a set of rob beck units be sent to the UK?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
veearrsix
Private
Rep

Quick update...

I have just heard from BMW customer service that in order to fully diagnose the wastegate issue, before they are able to submit a 'good will claim', they need the units to be removed from the car and inspected. The cost of such diagnosis is £1500 + vat.

They have apologised that they cannot help me any further (yea thanks!), but without a diagnosis they cannot submit the claim.

I stuck my hand down the side of the engine over the weekend, and managed to give the rear wastegate actuator rod a wobble, and its wobbles a lot. the rod and locking nut are tight, but the wastegate are have a lot of movement.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
veearrsix
Private
Rep

Bumping this thread to try and get some extra advice/thoughts.

I have advertised the car for sale, but even though there is nothing wrong with the car (apart from the annoying rattle), I am very conscious about passing a potential problem onto a new owner...

I was thinking of contacting a different dealership to see if they would be willing to fudge whatever checks the other dealer wanted to do before issuing the goodwill claim.

Any other ideas, comments?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Dont you have a automotive claims consultant that could aid in this case, or some organisation ?
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
veearrsix
Private
Rep

Not that I'm aware of...
Appreciate 0