E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Music downloading, how to NOT share files?

08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Music downloading, how to NOT share files?

I am wondering how I can use Peer to Peer file sharing software with OUT sharing the crap I download. If you are not sharing it, you are not liable for copyright infringement. I have friends that were sued for downloading music but did not know they where sharing the music or how to turn OFF the sharing ability which they were told they should have done.

I have downloaded limewire, cabos, vuze etc and I had to uninstall the software because ODDLY enough the option while installing to UNCHECK the share box was THERE but it was NOT clickable, I could NOT uncheck that box but I could check/uncheck any OTHER box I wanted to. This leads me to believe there is some sort of conspiracy going on with the recording industry and the P2P networks that claim it IS an option to NOT share the files. Kids at my school were getting popped for $3-5,000 each for a settlement from the recording industry. It is kind of funny how this crap works. Does anyone know a way to NOT share these files with one of these softwares, or am I missing something? or downloading the wrong software?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Not true ...Even if you don't share the downloaded files you are still guilty (Stealing something but not cashing/ sharing it does not make it OK).

If you are worried about legal trouble stay away from all P2P's. Your IP address can be traced in P2P services. Torrent downloads is the only way to go - Check out Bit Torrent : http://www.bittorrent.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

if you go into the settings of limewire, you can select the folder you want to share, just put an empty folder there and you're good to go

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Not true ...Even if you don't share the downloaded files you are still guilty (Stealing something but not cashing/ sharing it does not make it OK).

If you are worried about legal trouble stay away from all P2P's. Your IP address can be traced in P2P services. Torrent downloads is the only way to go - Check out Bit Torrent : http://www.bittorrent.com/
Your IP can be traced on torrents as well. While a bit tougher and definately more wide spread, it happens. Don't ever download HBO content. They will find you, even through torrents.

Also, if you aren't willing to share you should probably use torrents more since you can fully control your max dl and ul speeds in the options of Vuze or whatever client software you prefer. It need to be said though that leeching (downloading) and not sharing while you download or leaving it up a bit for others to download off you (seeding) is frowned upon by most torrent communities. Will they ban you? Probably not. But your not doing anyone any favors being a leech and not paying it forward.

In general, the law only goes after the big players since going after the individual costs too much just for the lawyer's time and court appointment. So, as with all things, if you keep it in moderation you will be fine even while sharing.

(I wouldn't post up on any torrent board saying you don't seed though, they might ban you then.)
      08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

So should I use that torrent site he linked? I just want to be able to burn CDs and put the crap on my Ipod. Thats it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Your IP can be traced on torrents as well. While a bit tougher and definately more wide spread, it happens. Don't ever download HBO content. They will find you, even through torrents.
Interesting ...I thought since Torrent downloading is based on a virtual server concept (PC's connected to each other for a specific leeching/ seeding at a specific instance), it is virtually impossible to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Also, if you aren't willing to share you should probably use torrents more since you can fully control your max dl and ul speeds in the options of Vuze or whatever client software you prefer. It need to be said though that leeching (downloading) and not sharing while you download or leaving it up a bit for others to download off you (seeding) is frowned upon by most torrent communities. Will they ban you? Probably not. But your not doing anyone any favors being a leech and not paying it forward.

In general, the law only goes after the big players since going after the individual costs too much just for the lawyer's time and court appointment. So, as with all things, if you keep it in moderation you will be fine even while sharing.

(I wouldn't post up on any torrent board saying you don't seed though, they might ban you then.)
Correct ... Most Torrent sites/ communities have a high degree of ethics in sharing/ seeding what you get from other for free. However, some allow you to only download and not seed if you help them with the cost of bandwidth (financial contribution through Paypal, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Interesting ...I thought since Torrent downloading is based on a virtual server concept (PC's connected to each other for a specific leeching/ seeding at a specific instance), it is virtually impossible to do so.

Correct ... Most Torrent sites/ communities have a high degree of ethics in sharing/ seeding what you get from other for free. However, some allow you to only download and not seed if you help them with the cost of bandwidth (financial contribution through Paypal, etc.)
Please explain said seeding? and all that crap
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Please explain said seeding? and all that crap
First, read through this quick overview to understand how Torrent Downloading is different from other FastTrack services like Limewire, Kaaza, etc. :

http://www.wtata.com/faq/

Torrent download take a bit of effort to understand and master. The easiest way is to ask a friend who is familiar and a current user to give you a quick hands on overview on his PC.

Secondly, you have to do a search on line to find sites who keep track of current torrents. This is where you find specific files to download. To make targeted search you can search for "music torrents" or "movie torrents", etc.

Once you find and start to download a file you become a "Leecher" (one who is downloading from others PC's that have that file) and somewhere along the downloading part, you may also become a "Seeder" (for others to download bits and parts of the same file that you have downloaded yourself so far). After downloading is finished, you may choose to continue being a "seeder" for that specific file by not deleting that from your Bit Torrent Client (the program that helps you download the Torrent files) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

This is a quick overview of the concept. I encourage you to search, read and get a hand on demo from a friend. It is quite easy actually after you get your hands dirty (no pun intended )
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

don't mess with p2p! the scene is where it's at...
      08-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
dont be cheap, just buy the music.