Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > PSS now or wait for PS4S?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

PSS now or wait for PS4S?

street car 335i (not tracked) driven approx. 4k / year. current set of PSS have 22k on them. it's 8 months until the PS4S come out in 18's (earliest) and I've read all the reviews and know the biggest improvement is wet weather performance as they added more silica on the inside part of tread (not sure if that means they'll wear out quicker on inside now). Trying to decide if worth waiting for as I'm at 3/32 (treadbar) on the rears and 4/32 on the fronts. I do drive mine in the wet quite often but I haven't felt any slipping or hydroplaning so far. I'm thinking for peace of mind I need to get a new set of PSS now and not wait for PS4S since new tires in wet now would be wiser than waiting 8 mths/3k miles for marginally better wet weather tire, right ?

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
JLGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
street car 335i (not tracked) driven approx. 4k / year. current set of PSS have 22k on them. it's 8 months until the PS4S come out in 18's (earliest) and I've read all the reviews and know the biggest improvement is wet weather performance as they added more silica on the inside part of tread (not sure if that means they'll wear out quicker on inside now). Trying to decide if worth waiting for as I'm at 3/32 (treadbar) on the rears and 4/32 on the fronts. I do drive mine in the wet quite often but I haven't felt any slipping or hydroplaning so far. I'm thinking for peace of mind I need to get a new set of PSS now and not wait for PS4S since new tires in wet now would be wiser than waiting 8 mths/3k miles for marginally better wet weather tire, right ?
get some new super sports. the difference wont be wildly noticeable for the driving i assume you do
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Even a pro driver is hard pressed to notice the difference between PSS and PS4S. I would just get the PSS now.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Nope I would wait. Personally on my m3 I went from 245/265 to 255/275 P4S and the difference was quite pronounced. They weren't heavier since the p4s are lighter than pss, the cars feels more planted, the tires are noticeably quieter, and also ride less harshly than the pss did.

Not sure about the differences at the limit but you can check the reviews from those. I know treadwear is slower, and braking performance is way up.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Nope I would wait. Personally on my m3 I went from 245/265 to 255/275 P4S and the difference was quite pronounced. They weren't heavier since the p4s are lighter than pss, the cars feels more planted, the tires are noticeably quieter, and also ride less harshly than the pss did.

Not sure about the differences at the limit but you can check the reviews from those. I know treadwear is slower, and braking performance is way up.
Part of the better feel, less noise and less harsh comes from just having new tires over old ones. You really don't notice how much they degrade over time until you put on a new set.
I'm sure there's improvement in all areas in the ps4s I just haven't found a good review where they tested both tires back to back on same vehicle in real world street conditions. The one vid I did find that compared the 2 just said there was noticable improvement in wet but again they were testing on track at limit which I won't be doing.
I appreciate all your replies. Since new tires will be on my car for like next 5 years I just wanted to bounce this decision off you guys. I realize it's a personal one but just didn't want to regret it for next 5 years. I was happy enough with the pss so I'll have to just decide if I want to just see how long I can eeek out a few more miles until ps4s come out or have to just buy pss now.
Thanks!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:

Braking performance is up 2.7% at most, with the rest of the metrics even less than that. I think you're seeing a placebo effect, not to mention new vs old tires like bamaben mentioned. I know all the testers said there's no noticeable difference in in feel between the 2 in the real world, not surprising because most improvements are 0-2% at best.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Bamaben
Major
Rep

hey, thanks, guys for keeping it real and suggesting it's not worth waiting that long on worn out tires for what most reviews say is a marginally better tire!
i was really hoping to get this response and not the majority telling me to wait it out and take chances for a tire that I'd likely never tell the difference in. had the majority said to wait i would try to do that but since the consensus is that ps4s aren't worth waiting that long and take that risk for i'll get the pss and call it a day..at least TR is selling the pss at a slight discount and with free road hazard to match what the cheaper ps4s will cost just so everyone doesn't 'wait' on purchasing. thanks!

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

For a street car the PSS's are perfect. They are a little less money and look and handle great. Comparing the specs 275/30-19 for instance the, the tread width was wider on the PSS (9.7" vs 10.2"). I wanted the widest set up I could go. I just purchased them over the PS4's.

I guess you can't make a bad choice here.
      07-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #9
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Get the New continental extremecontact sport. Just as good in the dry as PSS better in the wet, less hydroplaning. Longer tread life and cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #10
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Get the New continental extremecontact sport. Just as good in the dry as PSS better in the wet, less hydroplaning. Longer tread life and cheaper.
I agree 100%. I had pss then went with continentals and I really like them more then pss.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben
Quote:

Part of the better feel, less noise and less harsh comes from just having new tires over old ones. You really don't notice how much they degrade over time until you put on a new set.
I'm sure there's improvement in all areas in the ps4s I just haven't found a good review where they tested both tires back to back on same vehicle in real world street conditions. The one vid I did find that compared the 2 just said there was noticable improvement in wet but again they were testing on track at limit which I won't be doing.
I appreciate all your replies. Since new tires will be on my car for like next 5 years I just wanted to bounce this decision off you guys. I realize it's a personal one but just didn't want to regret it for next 5 years. I was happy enough with the pss so I'll have to just decide if I want to just see how long I can eeek out a few more miles until ps4s come out or have to just buy pss now.
Thanks!
If I were you I would watch the tyrereviews.co.uk review on YouTube. Back to back testing of the PSS v the PS4S on an E92 M3. Both tyres were run in for 1,500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
If I were you I would watch the tyrereviews.co.uk review on YouTube. Back to back testing of the PSS v the PS4S on an E92 M3. Both tyres were run in for 1,500 miles.
If you're referring to this then that's the review which said the wet weather grip was better.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
If you're referring to this then that's the review which said the wet weather grip was better.

I am indeed. The comments that the host is making are in relation to the 1,000 or so miles (I stand corrected as I originally said 1,500) of testing that they put the MPSS and MP4S through in what is presumably a mixture of conditions, as opposed to the testing that was carried out at Thermal. (Unless they ran both tyres back in the UK for 1,000 miles on a track!)

But anyway, he clearly states that dry grip is improved, even if only by a small margin, but that wet grip is in another league / night and day difference from the MPSS. That is a pretty major advantage for a lot of buyers. Just as importantly though NVH has been improved, with comfort a lot higher and noise a lot lower. The only downside he points out is that at the limit, the PSS offers slightly more granular feedback, but that's a very small advantage to focus on given the PS4S beats the PSS in every other metric.

For me personally, the choice was easy. No doubt the PSS is still a relevant choice but the PS4S is a better proposition that (from my supplier in the UK) costs the same. I don't know why you wouldn't go for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Yep that was the review I based my decision off of. From what I recall the braking performance was way up, something like 10ft. But that may have been another review.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
This may lend some insight. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...e-test-feature
      08-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
And contis extremecontact sport swept ps4s in the wet.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
And contis extremecontact sport swept ps4s in the wet.
Just depends on what's most important to you in a tire. I live in Florida and it pisses down rain all the time but I only put 7-8k miles on this car a yr so I drive in the rain a relatively small amount. Wet weather performance is the least important aspect of a tire's performance when I'm shopping for tires.
      08-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #18
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
I agree 100%. I had pss then went with continentals and I really like them more then pss.
Same I agree. I have a new set and love them. No vibration and so quiet
Appreciate 0