E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Wheel sealant / wax

03-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Wheel sealant / wax

Can anyone recommend some good sealant or wax.

I'm putting my summers back on in the next few weeks. They had a good wash and clean but i didn't seal or wax them and would like to do so before putting them back on.

There are a few specks of brake dust too. Would a clay bar work on the 230's?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Poorboys, and a clay bar would be fine, infact use one that has been used on the car paintwork as a waste to use a new one for wheels!

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...l-sealant.html

Free postage with these guys.
      03-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Another vote for Poorboys wheel sealant, just coated mine today, smells lovely!
      03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I use Poorboys also, easy to apply and remove and it's does smell really good. If your alloys are easy to wax then add 2 coats.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

if you really dont want to have to bother about it again for a year or more, gtechniq C5

http://www.gtechniq.com
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine. Put this on my wheels about a year ago and even though I washed the car for the first time last weekend since October (so over 4 months of daily motorway during an extremely dirty Scottish winter). All I had to do was rinse the dirt, brake dust and grime off with a power washer. I was all set with the wheel brush as well but there was just nothing to clean off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Carbon Black

I use the Autoglym one and its been excellent
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine. Put this on my wheels about a year ago and even though I washed the car for the first time last weekend since October (so over 4 months of daily motorway during an extremely dirty Scottish winter). All I had to do was rinse the dirt, brake dust and grime off with a power washer. I was all set with the wheel brush as well but there was just nothing to clean off.
+1 - just got this after not having much luck with Poorboys stuff (took ages to apply, didn't work very well). Utterly brilliant stuff and if you buy their little foam pads, really easy to apply too.

http://www.planetpolish.com/index.ph...enrcnfq3f2lgm0
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
+1 - just got this after not having much luck with Poorboys stuff (took ages to apply, didn't work very well). Utterly brilliant stuff and if you buy their little foam pads, really easy to apply too.

Excellent, I just ordered some from Amazon after reading mowflow's recommendation.
I was going to get the C5 from Gtechniq but at £24.00 for 15ml I gave it a miss.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
HC - detailing product prices seem so random. Some seem happy to pay £50 for a wax when something costing a quarter that works as well.

I'm getting quite a collection going now...!

Recent excellent (and great VFM) purchases include Bilt Hamber clay (only needs water as lube) and Bilbery wheel cleaner (although with the wheel sealant, I hardly need to use it now but kicked butt on my inlaws X5 wheels last night - did a proper job on it!)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Love the bilberry cleaner-great stuff

Will have to try out the Planetpolish stuff..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #12
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:

Just bought the Planet Polish wheel sealant, hope it is better than Poorboys.

Treated myself to a new drying towel also.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
JLR - just bought another ten towels of teabay - I get through them pretty quickly. SO much better than chamois cack I used to use.

Having MUCH better results with the new sealant. I got really annoyed with the Poorboys stuff - it was taking me about an hour to apply it (at least) then it just didn't work at all. The PP stuff is about 3452352543 times better and really does work.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
JLR - just bought another ten towels of teabay - I get through them pretty quickly. SO much better than chamois cack I used to use.
Which towels do you use if you dont mind me being nosey? i need some more desperately!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell Planet Polish stuff (I don't know them and don't work for them) but I also got one of their mits and a drying towel when I ordered the Wheel seal and shine and both have been amazing. Especially considering how cheap their stuff is when compared to say a Meguires mit which was about 4x the cost.

All my other stuff is Meguires which works great but I plan on getting more of Planet Polishes stuff when it's done as the 3 products I've used so far have given great results and are great value for money. I found out about them through a detailing forum, seemed like everyone of their was raving about them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I used wheel seal & Shine on my Alufelgen cs7's and thought it was ok. I still got some Black marks the size of a 20p piece on my wheels after a few months of the sealant/wax being on and it just refuses to budge, was hoping this stuff would have protected my from it. Mind you the guy who detailed my car seemed to miss off these black marks aswell so mybe I'm just seeing things......
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikzE92 View Post
Which towels do you use if you dont mind me being nosey? i need some more desperately!
Went for these off ebay - got loads of use over the weekend (did the Landy, our BM and the inlaws X5) and pretty impressed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

www.micro-pro.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HC - detailing product prices seem so random. Some seem happy to pay £50 for a wax when something costing a quarter that works as well.

I'm getting quite a collection going now...!

Recent excellent (and great VFM) purchases include Bilt Hamber clay (only needs water as lube) and Bilbery wheel cleaner (although with the wheel sealant, I hardly need to use it now but kicked butt on my inlaws X5 wheels last night - did a proper job on it!)
Mmm tell me about it!

Spent the wk/end doing the full works.
Wash (Megs), clay (Megs), wash (Megs).
Machine polish with a DA using Menzerna and then Megs ultimate compound and finish off with a Megs detail spray, then.......
2 coats of Blackfire followed by 2 coats of Duragloss.

Got this range of products pitching up this week

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...MasterZBFWIF00

I need to get out more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
I used wheel seal & Shine on my Alufelgen cs7's and thought it was ok. I still got some Black marks the size of a 20p piece on my wheels after a few months of the sealant/wax being on and it just refuses to budge, was hoping this stuff would have protected my from it. Mind you the guy who detailed my car seemed to miss off these black marks aswell so mybe I'm just seeing things......
I've got to be honest about my Alufelgens (not the GB), the paint finish and thickness was not the best and I was disappointed after a while, I'm not sure how the GB wheels were, perhaps they were better.
As a result of the finish and a homicidal lorry driver taking a dislike to my offside front wing resulting in me taking a diversion along and up a kerb there being refurbed.

Anyways my point is .... I use the BMW wheel gel, I've just got my latest 5l container (no pics, not needed ) and found it brilliant on all wheels, it's more expensive than Bilberry's but it might work on your black marks and you might find it worth a try
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
HC - I also "detailed" our boat and it took fricking AGES!

The blue gelcoat was fairly faded - many passes with marine rubbing compound (like T cut but more aggressive) then wax polish all buffed off with a machine polisher I bought specifically for the job (not sure about using it on the car - it's just a £45 Halfords job) . Then major jetwashing of the inside, few bits of rust removed, engine fully rubbed down and waxed - look pretty good now but it was a mission and a half. Launched it and had a lovely blast yesterday.

So washed (snow foamed, washed with mitt, dried, wheels Bilberryed on two of them) a 110 Landy, an X5, our BM and sorted the boat.

My hands now resemble the Sahara desert. Time for some ponsy hand cream...

Nice load of kit there.

Once I have Z6 and Z8 (I currently use Z5 Pro a lot - it's brilliant - thanks JLR for the recommendation!) I'll be happy. For five minutes...!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
vikzE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Brill-thanks for the heads up on the towels-ordered
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Vik - one thing - the colours are pretty bright and run a lot for the first wash or two - do NOT wash them with light coloured clothing until they've had a fair few cycles!

They seem fine if you handwash them (in my case sling in water with powder, jiggle a bit, rinse and dry on a radiator) though. I think most are the same.

Other than that, can't fault them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HC - I also "detailed" our boat and it took fricking AGES!

The blue gelcoat was fairly faded - many passes with marine rubbing compound (like T cut but more aggressive) then wax polish all buffed off with a machine polisher I bought specifically for the job (not sure about using it on the car - it's just a £45 Halfords job) . Then major jetwashing of the inside, few bits of rust removed, engine fully rubbed down and waxed - look pretty good now but it was a mission and a half. Launched it and had a lovely blast yesterday.

So washed (snow foamed, washed with mitt, dried, wheels Bilberryed on two of them) a 110 Landy, an X5, our BM and sorted the boat.

My hands now resemble the Sahara desert. Time for some ponsy hand cream...

Nice load of kit there.

Once I have Z6 and Z8 (I currently use Z5 Pro a lot - it's brilliant - thanks JLR for the recommendation!) I'll be happy. For five minutes...!
Good stuff Matt

I'd avoid the handcream, treat the wife to a back massge and see her turn into putty
Appreciate 0